NZ eyeing rare series win against Pakistan

2 hours ago, SK_IH said:

you can put any riders on it, it was a great effort. I am hard pressed to find any match innings of such brilliance from Kohli in tests. Soemone can correct me if i am forgetting some of his efforts

but we cannot compare a SENA team coming to Asia and doing well than a team from Asia going to SENA and beating them.  Latter is always a far more difficult thing to do.

2 hours ago, Number said:

KW has played innings of the year.

Best innings of the decade so far ?

Kohli 100 in first test England was far better, better attack difficult conditions. Scoring 100 in SENA in seaming and swinging conditions for batsman fro Asia is far more difficult than a SENA batsman to score in Asia.  Adjust from spin to pace is always considered more difficult than vice versa.

23 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

but we cannot compare a SENA team coming to Asia and doing well than a team from Asia going to SENA and beating them.  Latter is always a far more difficult thing to do.

C'mon man it's not only about pitch, take it into account match situation, series situation, opposition spinner in great form and most importantly chanceless.I ll surely remember this effort from KW, hope Virat can match such an effort in future.

3 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

C'mon man it's not only about pitch, take it into account match situation, series situation, opposition spinner in great form and most importantly chanceless.I ll surely remember this effort from KW, hope Virat can match such an effort in future.

feels Kohli's inns  (twin 100s in AUS)  are more or less the same  quality.

1 minute ago, SK_IH said:

100s in win will always surmount the ones in defeats.

so you think that Williamson would have foreseen a win all the while he was playing that knock? He just  applied and put his maximum   effort into every factor needed while  he was at the crease. And he found almost an equally effective partner in Nichols along with

an incompetent team in PAK .Other wise the result of the match would have been lot different. That's why  I don't give that much importance  to this 'win' factor unless it is some thing like VVS did in Calcutta. 

56 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Kohli 100 in first test England was far better, better attack difficult conditions. Scoring 100 in SENA in seaming and swinging conditions for batsman fro Asia is far more difficult than a SENA batsman to score in Asia.  Adjust from spin to pace is always considered more difficult than vice versa.

No it wasn’t. It wasn’t even Kohli’s best test innings. He had 9 lives throughout that 100.

Didnt see KW’s innings though.

11 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

9 lives you must be joking.  Those conditions themselves made it a better knock irrespective of lives.

9 lives was a metaphor but what I am saying is it was pretty scratchy for the first 80-90

runs but he played well with the tail though.

Cant compare with KW’s innings as i didn’t see it but if he played a chanceless innings and I say a big IF because Pakistanis are more than capable of giving multiple lives  then the fact that a SENA team won in SC/UAE and it was a match winning knock, automatically it becomes better.

Edited by Global.Baba
2 hours ago, Number said:

@rkt.india

Agree, may be pure batsmanship wise it is debatable. 

However guiding your team from -14/4 to first ever series win in a foreign country is just herculean. 

Of course taking the result into count. 

VVS 281 is the greatest innings ever played for the reason it won the match.

VVS knock is one of the greatest ever  not  primarily because IND won but because of the magnitude  of the  value '281'. A  few 275+ knocks have been played in the history  of cricket  but  almost all of them were played  in far lesser precarious match situations.But '281' has both 'magnitude + adversity' combined. Laxman's knock turned a 'huge 274 run deficit' into an exact opposite  'mammoth 384 run lead' so much so that even  the mighty AUS batting line up couldn't  resist  a weak IND bowling  and they lost the match.And what not that AUS bowling line up against which Laxman scored those runs was of  much superior quality. Not degrading Kane's knock by any stretch because it too is a brilliant knock, but just saying we can't compare his knock to that of  Laxman's knock  based on 'win' factor alone.

In addition to that ,where as  it was a weak PAK batting  that couldn't resist Kane's batting  performance and failed as a result, it was perhaps the GOAT batting unit that couldn't resist Laxman's onslaught  and failed against a weak bowling unit,so much so for the emphatic performace of VVS.

So all in all, in  the case of '281' ,this 'win' factor  gets  huge weightage  because VVS  ensured 'a certain loss   for AUS by himself '  a lot lot lot more than   Kane did it with his 139 knock 

Edited by rtmohanlal