The Ashes (2019)

9 hours ago, cricketfan28 said:

Its never late to import. We should look at that as well.

The only import I can remember is Robin Singh, who moved to India from the WI in his teens to pursue a cricketing career. With so much talent and competition within India itself, I doubt imports stand a chance these days.

Amazing from Archer. He gets that pace and bounce from almost an amble. You feel he can just crank it up a level higher anytime. Root I think over bowled him at times and hopefully he does not feel the stress.

Aussies showed great grit and determination in both innings and their poor performance in the field let them down. Their decision making has been suspect at so many levels. Rain saved them from a loss after stupidity of fielding first. You have one of the most fearsome bowler in the world in Starc who can clean up the tail quickly. And they play Siddle who has been steady at best. This is like playing Dhaval Kulkarni in place of Bumrah.

In the next match Marcus Harris should come in place of Warner. Bancroft is also average and could be replaced with Khawaja opening and Labuschagne at 3. Starc is needed to fight fire with fire.

moving forward in remaining matches , I think England's strategy would be to use Archer in 'short spells wholly to Smith '. All out attack  against Smith,  mixing  'chin  level short balls' aimed at his  body  lavishly ,  using the Archer weapon lies ahead in the rest of the matches , it seems .That would be a  thrilling contest for the viewers especially with Smith not at all comfortable with short pitched deliveries aimed at his body and also with Archer  doing the earlier damage already.

17 hours ago, Vijy said:

leach has outbowled lyon this match.

Who knew that a Leach was better than a Lion  !

And an Archer can fire cannon balls !

And the Aussies are preferring Pain these days.

And they are giving Head a steady go.

Atleast the English still have a Butler although they have lost their Cook.

2 hours ago, rtmohanlal said:

moving forward in remaining matches , I think England's strategy would be to use Archer in 'short spells wholly to Smith '. All out attack  against Smith,  mixing  'chin  level short balls' aimed at his  body  lavishly ,  using the Archer weapon lies ahead in the rest of the matches , it seems .That would be a  thrilling contest for the viewers especially with Smith not at all comfortable with short pitched deliveries aimed at his body and also with Archer  doing the earlier damage already.

It is not just Smith, pretty much every batsmen is uncomfortable against short balls bowled with no apparent extra effort, pitched just about short of a length and cutting in viciously into their body. Smith's replacement also got hit right at the start of his innings. That being said, I think Archer would prefer a batsman using the bat to save his face and lobbing up a catch rather than get hit and rolled off on a stretcher.

6 hours ago, nevada said:

It is not just Smith, pretty much every batsmen is uncomfortable against short balls bowled with no apparent extra effort, pitched just about short of a length and cutting in viciously into their body. Smith's replacement also got hit right at the start of his innings. That being said, I think Archer would prefer a batsman using the bat to save his face and lobbing up a catch rather than get hit and rolled off on a stretcher.

As much as Smith's technique is effective to  negotiate medium pace bowling ball after ball  and score runs    his technique is that much inadequate to  duck under a short ball aimed at body.With more technically perfect batsmen , they can duck under these balls with at the least a bit of difficulty, but  for Smith with his  'trigger movement in advance'  it is virtually impossible to duck under a short ball  because his body balance is already slightly tilted towards  ' leg side shot making'. All he can do is  'be in a position' like what happend against Archer.  And this mental scar not only  can  create more chances of  lobbing up catches but  then there would be far more chances of getting him plumb in front or bowled with  fuller length  balls too.

Imagine being one of those county lads, or WI domestic batsman, facing up against Archer for the first time before he became famous. 

He just ambles up to the drease with thisnshort, effortless runuo, and then drops those crazy fast bouncers straight at your chest. 

Parched just looks like an extremely difficult bowler to face. Much like Bumrah, it’s really hard to believe the pace he can generate with the runup, that goes against every instinct you have as a batsman. 

I feel like batsmen would be better off closing their eyes when Archer starts his runup (or better, looking away, focusing on the umpire) until Ahe has just about reached the bowling crease, to avoid the cognitive dissonance his runup could create. 

22 minutes ago, Nikola said:

Eng should win next test match now. This is reminding me a bit of 2005 ashes where aus looked like will win series easily after first match but mcgrath got injured at start of 2nd test match.

Well, England have lost Anderson in the very first innings to injury this series. At 37 he is obviously not at his best but is still a big headache for batsmen on English pitches. With Smith gone, the Aussies are very vulnerable now. Labuschagne did an impressive job as the sub but that was a one off with low expectations. Can he do the same again? If Warner finds form and the Aussies put up a decent score, I think they will have a good chance. Starc will most likely be brought back to do the enforcer job for them. They are still 1-0 up, so that's a slight advantage.

16 minutes ago, nevada said:

Well, England have lost Anderson in the very first innings to injury this series. At 37 he is obviously not at his best but is still a big headache for batsmen on English pitches. With Smith gone, the Aussies are very vulnerable now. Labuschagne did an impressive job as the sub but that was a one off with low expectations. Can he do the same again? If Warner finds form and the Aussies put up a decent score, I think they will have a good chance. Starc will most likely be brought back to do the enforcer job for them. They are still 1-0 up, so that's a slight advantage.

Anderson should have retired after india test series. He is past prime. Archer has made good impact and eng should look ahead of future now.

1 hour ago, Stumped said:

Anderson is in his prime, he's bowling as well as he ever has.

Even if he is 100% fit to play i doubt he could get injured anytime in between test match. Eng should move forward now with overseas tours coming up where he will be useless.