Jonty Rhodes applies for Team India's fielding coach job

Stuge

21 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

Sridhar gets the job ahead of Rhodes. This is ridiculous.

What are Jonty’s coaching credentials? Great players don’t always make good coaches. Has he made any poor fielder better during his Mumbai Indians stint?

Edited by Cricket_Fan
59 minutes ago, Cricket_Fan said:

What are Jonty’s coaching credentials? Great players don’t always make good coaches. Has he made any poor fielder better during his Mumbai Indians stint?

Sridhar probably got the job because he must be willing to work for  lesser salary - not that BCCI cannot afford Rhodes services as Fielding coach. Or perhaps Sridhar is favored because he has more contacts in Indian cricket than Rhodes .

5 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

Sridhar probably got the job because he must be willing to work for  lesser salary - not that BCCI cannot afford Rhodes services as Fielding coach. Or perhaps Sridhar is favored because he has more contacts in Indian cricket than Rhodes .

I repeat my qn. Has Jonty ever proved his coaching credentials to be better than Sridhar? Greg Chappell was a legendary batsman but one of the worst coaches ever-both for India and Australia. So unless Jonty has made any significant improvements in Mumbai Indians’ fielding, I don’t think BCCI has any incentive to pick him ahead of Sridhar. And even Mumbai Indians chucked him out.

22 minutes ago, Cricket_Fan said:

I repeat my qn. Has Jonty ever proved his coaching credentials to be better than Sridhar? Greg Chappell was a legendary batsman but one of the worst coaches ever-both for India and Australia. So unless Jonty has made any significant improvements in Mumbai Indians’ fielding, I don’t think BCCI has any incentive to pick him ahead of Sridhar. And even Mumbai Indians chucked him out.

I am not aware of what coaching certifications either of them hold, so o cannot comment on the qualifications of both. However, Rhodes imo is better suited to this role as he was clearly the best fielder and he can educate Indian cricketers about the finer aspects of Fielding techniques as compared to Sridhar.

2 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

I am not aware of what coaching certifications either of them hold, so o cannot comment on the qualifications of both. However, Rhodes imo is better suited to this role as he was clearly the best fielder and he can educate Indian cricketers about the finer aspects of Fielding techniques as compared to Sridhar.

Better fielder doesn’t mean that you would be a better coach. Because not everyone has similar physical abilities and you have to define programs for each individual. Greg Chappell was a better batsman than most of India’s coaches but he couldn’t impart the same to Indian players.

Coaching is a completely different ballgame than playing and needs different set of skills.

5 minutes ago, Cricket_Fan said:

Better fielder doesn’t mean that you would be a better coach. Because not everyone has similar physical abilities and you have to define programs for each individual. Greg Chappell was a better batsman than most of India’s coaches but he couldn’t impart the same to Indian players.

Coaching is a completely different ballgame than playing and needs different set of skills.

So because Chappell failed, Rhodes is also going to be failure?

Edited by Straight Drive
14 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

So because Chappell failed, Rhodes is also going to be failure?

Thats why I asked whether he proved anything during his stint as Mumbai Indians fielding coach? Did he ever make any poor fielder better? If he was good, why did Mumbai Indians release him? Definitely not because of his fees.

Edited by Cricket_Fan
6 hours ago, Cricket_Fan said:

What is sridhar credentials? BtW who cares his credential reflects in our fielding which is getting bad to worst with each day.....only if Jumping like monkeys in agile way is consider fielding, he is doing a great job.