Who is the most fearsome fast bowler you have seen

maniac

14 minutes ago, MechEng said:

I'm not too obsessed with raw pace, it waters down the art of pace bowling.

The most feared bowler is McGrath. All deliveries in the corridor of uncertainty at very steep bounce meant he could pick up a wicket every ball. There was never an instant where a batsman has felt at ease while facing McGrath.

What's pace bowling is without pace. McGrath wasn't slow from day one.

16 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

waqar had a few injuries by then. he used to blow away batsmen with outright pace in the early 90s. I didn't witness them before youtube. but he was still lively in 96. he hit some poor uae batsman who was not wearing a helmet in that wc. he also bowled a hostile spell against the poms. he was 25 after 8 overs with a couple of wickets against us. jaddu took 40 off the next 2. jaddu also took him on in sharjah immediately after that series. he was never the same after that.

wasim had already lost his pace by 99. he was about the pace of mcgrath. fast medium but not express pace. while mcgrath had bounce, wasim had swing. it doesn't matter if you have scored a hundred and seeing the ball like a football but wasim would bowl a ball that is unplayable. i have seen him bowl an inswinger to the rhb and it tailed away at the last moment. thats what happened to rahul dravid in chennai on the last day. it takes a genius to dislodge dravid.

but akhtar was in prime form in 2003. no injuries yet. he had just bowled the fastest ball in known history against poor poms again. then sachin and sehwag happened to take him to the cleaners and the rest is history

That centurian pitch was also a batting beauty. Pak had scored at least 40-50 runs lesser than par on that pitch.

1 minute ago, rkt.india said:

That centurian pitch was also a batting beauty. Pak had scored at least 40-50 runs lesser than par on that pitch.

That is their aukaat. Apart from Saeed Anwar and Wasim Akram at the end, nobody really kicked on. I thought we gave them a bit more to play with thanks to our big hearted Nehra something our "friend" Afridi didn't recognize. I also remember their motormouth rashid latif getting hit by a bouncer from Zak :laugh: and he didn't participate in his wk duties. he was drinking that "liquid form" when he witnessed the thrashing from the Indian batsmen

26 minutes ago, MechEng said:

I'm not too obsessed with raw pace, it waters down the art of pace bowling.

The most feared bowler is McGrath. All deliveries in the corridor of uncertainty at very steep bounce meant he could pick up a wicket every ball. There was never an instant where a batsman has felt at ease while facing McGrath.

Mcgrath bowled 134 to 140. Initial part of career he used to hang around 136 140 he was quick but not quickest.

16 minutes ago, Vilander said:

Mcgrath bowled 134 to 140. Initial part of career he used to hang around 136 140 he was quick but not quickest.

Throughout the 90s, he used to bowl in the 140s in the same range as Srinath. he dropped to the high 130s in the first half of the 00s and at the end low 130s and 125+ at the end of his career. In the 2003 WC he wasn't slow by any standards as could be seen in his dismissals in the finals. In 2007 WC, Gilly was keeping close to the stumps.

2 hours ago, maniac said:

Same thing with Waqar Younis after that Jadeja assault. I hadn't seen a lot of waqar younis vs India till 96 and obviously he had this huge reputation of being the most lethal bowler in the world and seen him bowl a couple of spells against hapless Kiwis in Sharjah. I never feared Waqar after that day, even when he bowled good spells ,he looked vulnerable :laugh:

Wasim was the only guy Indians had difficulty getting away even though Sadagopan Ramesh handled him like a boss in that 99 series.

Between 90-93, Waqar was absolutely unplayable. The kind of banana swing he could create at 145+, was a sight to behold. Batsmen in that era were not used to playing yorkers, and especially indipping yorkers. The same Waqar today would be thrashed all over. 

Waqar was more destructive than Wasim because he used to get the big batsmen out, unlike Wasim. By 94, Waqar had already lost his pace and had become a 135- 142'ish bowler. neither slow, nor express. Optimum pace to get hit.

31 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Throughout the 90s, he used to bowl in the 140s in the same range as Srinath. he dropped to the high 130s in the first half of the 00s and at the end low 130s and 125+ at the end of his career. In the 2003 WC he wasn't slow by any standards as could be seen in his dismissals in the finals. In 2007 WC, Gilly was keeping close to the stumps.

I would place Srinath about 5k upwards of mcgrath.

22 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

Between 90-93, Waqar was absolutely unplayable. The kind of banana swing he could create at 145+, was a sight to behold. Batsmen in that era were not used to playing yorkers, and especially indipping yorkers. The same Waqar today would be thrashed all over. 

Waqar was more destructive than Wasim because he used to get the big batsmen out, unlike Wasim. By 94, Waqar had already lost his pace and had become a 135- 142'ish bowler. neither slow, nor express. Optimum pace to get hit.

Waqar was a 1 trick pony for the early part of his career with the old ball. he used be injured a lot between 92-96 when I started watching cricket. He missed out the 92 wc too. I did see him in a couple of games here and there when he wiped up the tail.

In the wc qf in Bangalore I was scared he will run through our lower order and middle order but Jadeja massacred him beautifully. That was May be the origin of the t20 style we see today of move your back leg and smash Yorker length balls.

I never rated  him after that. In fact he was dropped for Shoaib later on iirc.

However he became dangerous in early 2000s again when he became a proper bowler with the new ball adding swing and seam. I think he had a couple of more years left in him to be honest given the thrash Pak has put out since then mostly.

Edited by maniac
35 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

No bowler gets such reverse swing today. He was another bottle cap champion like Imran though faster.

39 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

I would place Srinath about 5k upwards of mcgrath.

Srinath and Mcgrath were both measured incorrectly as bowling 94mph (150+kmph) in the 1999 wc. However they were probably bowling at around 140kmph at that time. Srinath was much quicker in the 96-97 home and away series against SA before his rotator cuff injury

2 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Srinath and Mcgrath were both measured incorrectly as bowling 94mph (150+kmph) in the 1999 wc. However they were probably bowling at around 140kmph at that time. Srinath was much quicker in the 96-97 home and away series against SA before his rotator cuff injury

Thats news for me, my brother. Care to explain to me what makes you think Srinath was clocked wrongly. And btw, Mcgrath wasnt clocked at 93mph in 99wc. 

16 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Srinath was clocked at 93 mph max and McGrath was clocked at 88 mph max in WC 1999.

18 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

Thats news for me, my brother. Care to explain to me what makes you think Srinath was clocked wrongly. And btw, Mcgrath wasnt clocked at 93mph in 99wc. 

Because the news reports said the speed guns were were not accurate. I remember reading on the newspaper that they were both clocked on the said speed.

3 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Srinath was clocked at 93 mph max and McGrath was clocked at 88 mph max in WC 1999.

If you recall, they had the speed calculations displayed on the ground in the 99 wc similar to how they showed the serve speed in wimbledon courts. I noticed both of them in the same speed. Shoaib was measured 98-99

3 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Because the news reports said the speed guns were were not accurate. I remember reading on the newspaper that they were both clocked on the said speed.

If you recall, they had the speed calculations displayed on the ground in the 99 wc similar to how they showed the serve speed in wimbledon courts. I noticed both of them in the same speed. Shoaib was measured 98-99

Shoaib was measured at 95 mph as his fastest. Srinath was clocked at 93mph, and the just the day prior to the match the English newspapers had predicted that Srinath should clock about 93mph, which was his regular top speed, according to them.

1 minute ago, Real McCoy said:

Shoib bowled a fastest of 154.5 kph in WC 1999.

"  In May 1999, at the World Cup, Shoaib proved himself the undisputed fastest bowler in the world, by bowling at 153kph (95mph) in his opening spell against South Africa. He then produced the fastest ball of the tournament in the final against Australia, once again reaching 154.5kph (96mph)."

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/21871416/the-pace-race-shoaib-akhtar,-brett-lee-others-early-2000s

3 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

Shoaib was measured at 95 mph as his fastest. Srinath was clocked at 93mph, and the just the day prior to the match the English newspapers had predicted that Srinath should clock about 93mph, which was his regular top speed, according to them.

Daryl culinary who is known as Warne’s Bunny was also known to be one of the best players of pure pace even better than Ponting. He said that Srinath was one of the scariest bowlers to face during the 96 ind-sa series in SA. A lot of South Africans said the same thing. These are the guys who played some of the fastest bowlers on some of the fastest tracks on the world. That is big praise.

Obviously no one is comparing Srinath vs Shoaib but on bouncy tracks with his pace and his natural length and stock delivery of the ball coming in, Srinath bowled a lot of deadly spells without any luck especially in Eng and SA in 96.

10 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

When it comes to Srinath speed, I was right then. Mcgrath was also clocked in that range. They didn't look that fast when compared with akhtar.

5 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Shoib bowled a fastest of 154.5 kph in WC 1999.

"  In May 1999, at the World Cup, Shoaib proved himself the undisputed fastest bowler in the world, by bowling at 153kph (95mph) in his opening spell against South Africa. He then produced the fastest ball of the tournament in the final against Australia, once again reaching 154.5kph (96mph)."

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/21871416/the-pace-race-shoaib-akhtar,-brett-lee-others-early-2000s

I read that the speed guns were faulty. Speed guns were new to the market and we didnt have access to the internet. I have no axe to grind with you guys. Lets agree to disagree.

15 minutes ago, maniac said:

Daryl culinary who is known as Warne’s Bunny was also known to be one of the best players of pure pace even better than Ponting. He said that Srinath was one of the scariest bowlers to face during the 96 ind-sa series in SA. A lot of South Africans said the same thing. These are the guys who played some of the fastest bowlers on some of the fastest tracks on the world. That is big praise.

Obviously no one is comparing Srinath vs Shoaib but on bouncy tracks with his pace and his natural length and stock delivery of the ball coming in, Srinath bowled a lot of deadly spells without any luck especially in Eng and SA in 96.

Those bowlers who complain of bad luck realize later that pitching the ball up would produce better results. Sri realized this in 2003 wc. He pitched it up and made the batsmen play the ball rather than let it go. The same was the case of Ishant. In India, you have to keep it back of a length to not get driven on the up because the bounce is low and there is no swing. In helpful conditions, you have to pitch the ball up to hit the wickets. Otherwise, the batsmen will let it go and take you to the cleaners when the ball gets old with their horizontal shots and backfoot play. I'm glad Bumrah and Shami are learning quicker. I'm not convinced Ishant is. He goes back to old habits when things get tougher. He doesn't seem to be a thinking cricketer and usually wastes the new ball.

15 hours ago, rkt.india said:

No bowler has done that. Are you insane? Express bowlers don't bowl more than 4-5 overs spell. Bowling 150 plus 3 overs on the trott is an incredible feat in itself. No bowler since the augment of speed guns have bowled a whole spell over 150. You think bowling over 150 is a joke. I have just posted a video where 35 year old Akhtar has bowled everything 150 or more in that spell.

Brett lee says hello. Regularly bowled 150 plus for 6-7 overs which is the regular length of a fast bowlers spell.