Vedic astrology

Real McCoy

18 hours ago, Global.Baba said:

@Real McCoy have you heard of Naadi Jyoitsh popular in TamilNadu ?

I believe they look at your thumbprint or something and predict your entire future until death.

I have not heard anyone claim if they predicted the right future but have heard from a lot of the folk, that they did have an almost accurate analysis of their past.

I have heard of nadi jyotish but don't know anyone who does it. It was said the ancients (in TN the sages are called siddhars which is unique) practiced it well. It connects with the siddha concept and siddha medicine. Unfortunately, it was written in palm leaf manuscripts and most were lost or forgotten. The British also played a part in auctioning some of them. They had a vested interest to promote western medicine.

The nadi system of astrology consists of 150 nadis in 1 sign. so 12 signs means 1800 nadis. One sign is equal to 2 hrs in a day. A division of 150 in those 2 hours means it is only accurate if the hour of birth is accurate to the precision of lesser than a minute. The more you delve into Indian astrology, you will find navamsha, trimshamsha, etc. It is a division of each sign by 9 and 30, 60,120, and so on. Usually for marriage matching they use navamsha which is division by 9. The higher the number you divide it by, the more accurate the birth time should be. This is because the planets end up in different signs every minute in those higher divisional charts. 150 is a pretty huge number and it is most likely inaccurate in any age. It can only be assessed by an actual siddha who no longer walks the world atleast from what I know. That is the point where I check out :lol:

Even a few decades ago they practiced nadi and traditional jyotish and accepted donations only. Payment was not a must. But nowadays I don't know anyone who does it for free. Throw money in and everyone becomes an expert scammer

I have discussed the 7 traditional grahas but the next two don't have a physical presence but there is science (WESTERN for those who don't believe in astrology) that proves that these two affect our reality. These are the lunar nodes Rahu and Ketu. Both of these cause solar eclipse and the preceding/succeeding lunar eclipse. Talk sh1t about astrology as much as you can, but our ancestors predicted eclipses to the tee. The north lunar node is called Rahu in vedic astrology and the south lunar node is called Ketu. The romans called Rahu as caput draconis (head of the dragon) and Ketu as cauda draconis(tail of the dragon). In Indian astrology, Rahu is head of an asura symbolised by a snake with a demon head. Ketu is the decapitated body of the asura symbolised by the body of the said asura with the head of the snake. It is clear the ancients knew that the moon travels in a snake like pattern around the ecliptic and symbolizing these nodes as the head and body respectively. Even today we have a panchangam called as pambu panchangam (Snake panchangam) near temples in TN. Most people here use that panchangam only. Rahu is when the moon crosses the ecliptic moving from South to North and Ketu is when the moon crosses from North to South. This happens every month and is said to be bad as moon represents our mind, feelings, emotions and is an important graha. More on Rahu and Ketu later

Rahu is a graha thats responsible for material desires and illusion. Desire in general is motivated by materialism, doing anything to get your desires met like lying, ends matter means dont mentality, short cut to fame like the movie industry which is just illusion based on actual reality. It also wants to live forever in the materialistic life and hence all the medical innovation towards living a long life has a Rahu component towards it. It signifies innovation in general which tries to break the restrictions imposed by the existing system. Rahu in short is a shadow planet Rahu gives the native compulsive habits which they are not good at but are forced to repeat it.

rahu represents cheaters, pleasure seekers, foreign lands, drug dealers, poison dealers, insincere & immoral acts,etc. It gives suicidal tendencies, fears, phobias, poisonous bites, murder, theft, imprisonment, gambling, etc. It also makes ones  mind think of ghosts or apparitions which are not real but gives the illusion that it is there. Here it represents a person's subconscious mind which can imagine such things. You can see its connection with the moon because moon represents the mind and rahu the subconscious mind. Rahu is always looking ahead for the future because it represents it. Those who have a strong influence of Rahu can be seen as living ahead of their time. But the reality will only be known once they are no more. Think of Tesla for example.

It also gives modern chemical industry with its pollutants and poisons such as fertilizers, pesticides, disinfectants, flu shots as it represents snake bites. rahu acts a bit like Saturn. Some people consider it to be exalted in Gemini or Taurus and debilitated in the opposite sign but traditional vedic astrology doesn't have exaltation/debilitation for shadow planets. Rahu in a persons chart acts like the graha it is with or take on the graha thats the owner of the sign if no grahas are present in the sign that has Rahu in it. Rahu emboldens the other graha it is with to act more and more like the samudhra manthan story where Rahu keeps on drinking the elixir but it doesnt have the body to take it . So it keeps on drinking it. This is the reason for compulsive habits like drunks, cigarette addiction, gambling, etc

Edited by Real McCoy

Ketu is the graha that is exactly the opposite of Rahu in the chart. Ketu is highly spiritual and denies any materialistic pursuits, It is also considered bad because it denies people anything related to materlialism and throws a spanner in the works and tries to remain in solitude. Ketu acts like Mars mostly. Ketu also represents dead bodies, morgue, cemetry, past lives, skills honed in past life that you are obviously good at but can't shake off that pattern of repeating it. Those same skills won't work in this life because this life has a different set of goals to accomplish. Dwelling on past things can also be a problem and Ketu represents this problem by obsessing over it. Rahu and Ketu axis can be called the obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) axis. Everyone has it. Those who deny it have no knowledge that they are doing it. Ketu brings the art of healing persons from snakebites, other posions, natural healing, herbs, healing people affected by ghosts and evil spirits. It also imparts powers of discrimination and spiritual knowledge.

30 minutes ago, velu said:

Same .. only finance related :(( 

But I feel that whatever I learned in the last 2 years are helping me now 

That is the thing with Saturn. It puts undue pressure but gives some insight when its leaving. I can imagine these things you learnt will not have happened without those difficulties. For me its the family and friends circle. Now I knwo who to trust and who not to trust. Those times gave me a reminder to which people I can spend time with and which people to avoid. My dad used to say this. Whatever has happened is for the good only.

More on astrology

Benefic grahas - Jupiter, Venus, Moon in waxing mode

Malefic grahas - Saturn, Mars, Sun (only slightly), Moon in waning mode, Rahu, Ketu

Mercury is considered slightly benefic but it will be malefic if theres a malefic graha with it in the same house.

Here benefic and malefic are to be understood as not good and evil. Benefic will give you things you like while malefic will give you things you dont like but something that ought to be dealt with.

Devas - Sun, Moon, Mars, Jupiter, in some cases Ketu

Asuras - Mercury, Venus, Saturn, Rahu

Satvik grahas - Sun, Moon, Jupiter

rajasic grahas - Mercury, Venus

tamasic grahas - Mars, Saturn

2 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

More on astrology

Benefic grahas - Jupiter (Guru), Venus (Shukra), Moon (Chandra) in waxing mode

Malefic grahas - Saturn (Shani), Mars (Mangala), Sun (Soorya) (only slightly), Moon in waning mode, Rahu, Ketu

Mercury (Budha) is considered slightly benefic but it will be malefic if theres a malefic graha with it in the same house.

Here benefic and malefic are to be understood as not good and evil. Benefic will give you things you like while malefic will give you things you dont like but something that ought to be dealt with.

Devas - Sun (Soorya), Moon (Chandra), Mars (Mangala) Jupiter (Guru), in some cases Ketu

Asuras - Mercury (Budha), Venus (Shukra), Saturn (Shani), Rahu

Satvik grahas - Sun (Soorya), Moon (Chandra), Jupiter (Guru)

rajasic grahas - Mercury (Budha), Venus (Mangala)

tamasic grahas - Mars (Mangala), Saturn (Shani)

Vedic names

Namah Sooryayah Chandrayah Manglaaya Budhayacha

Guru Shukra, Shanibyascha Rahuve Ketuve namaha@

Colors associated with grahas and the daily dietary habits of Indians that resemble those colors

Sun - Red/Orange

Moon - White

Mars - Red

Mercury - Green

Jupiter - Yellow

Venus - White/pink/variegated colors

Saturn - Dark Blue/Black

There are some differences in opinion among modern vedic astrologers. So I included other colors as well for the grahas with my opinion first. Even today food is cooked like the old days. Every Thursday people prepare more kozhambu which is a dish with buttermilk and vegetables and it looks yellow in color. Every Tuesday, beetroots (red) are prepared. Every Wednesday, people prepare keerai/saag/greens/spinach. This has become a tradition in most Indian houses regardless of religions.

The permanent friendship(F)/enmity(E)/neutrality(N) table is as follows for each graha

Sun: F - Moon, Mars, Jupiter. E - Venus, Saturn. N - Mercury

Moon: F - Sun, Mercury.  E - none. N - rest of the grahas

Mars: F - Sun, Moon, Jupiter. E - Mercury. N - Venus, Saturn

Mercury: F - Sun, Venus. E - Moon. N - Mars, Jupiter, Saturn

Jupiter: F - Sun, Moon, Mars. E - Mercury, Venus. N - Saturn

Venus: F - Mercury, Saturn. E - Sun, Moon. N - Mars, Jupiter

Saturn: F - Venus, Mercury. E - Sun, Moon, Mars. N - Jupiter

Temporary friendship can be found with each person's natal chart. The grahas placed in the previous or next three houses to a specific graha is considered a temporary friend to that graha and vice versa. The grahas placed in the same house or further apart from the three houses on either side of the graha is considered a temporary enemy. Both the permanent and temporary freindship(T) are calculated by the addition of those two.

Friend+Friend(T) = Intimate Friendship

Friend+Enemy(T)= Neutral

Neutral+Friend(T) = Friend

Neutral+Enemy(T) = Enemy

Enemy+Friend(T)= Neutral

Enemy+Enemy(T)= Bitter Enemy

Rahu and Ketu are not considered in the graha friendship table. Though some modern astrologers make assumptions. Notice in the permanent friendship of Moon, it doesn't have any enemies. Its a graha of reception and is feminine. It also characterizes mind, emotions and feelings. Even though Saturn and Mars are malefic planets, they don't affect the Moon because it has the capability to adjust to the hardship(Saturn) and aggression(Mars). Another important thing to note is Moon considers Mercury as a Friend but Mercury considers Moon as an Enemy. Mercury represents intellect among many things and this is favorable to the mind but intellect itself has frustrations with the ever changing part of the mind.

Mars and Saturn is another interesting scenario. Both are malefic in nature and agents of doing or karma but proceed differently. Mars gets exalted in Capricorn a sign ruled by Saturn. Mars considers Saturn a Neutral. Saturn gets debilitated in Aries a sign ruled by Mars. Saturn considers Mars an enemy. Mars is considered as a "young" graha and represents youth whereas Saturn represents old people. The young are restless and act quickly which is a Martian quality while the old are patient and plan things to do and follow routines which is a Saturnine quality. The youth grow better when discipline and structure is provided and hence Mars gets stronger in Capricorn. Its ill advised for the old to act impatient and do things in a haphazard manner. Hence Saturn is weakest in Aries.