Real McCoy

Vedic astrology

This is a thread for vedic astrology. I know a little about what the grahas represent and how they impact our day to day lives. The grahas I believe are not just forces outside but also inside. Feel free to discuss whatever related to vedic astrology here. This is only a fun thread not to be taken as serious advice. Anyway I don't believe in prediction based on astrology. @velu You can also tag in some experts in this field

Edited by Real McCoy
9 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

For those who think this is bakwaas, I didn't say I believe in predictive astrology. The nature of grahas is very self evident to me. If you go against this, you don't believe in the texts written down. Which is ok but why comment on this thread :noidea:

Its a free country, and a free forum. 

Btw, Just because one doesn't believe in "astrological" co-relations, doesn't mean that one is a kaffir non-believer, or disrespects the value that ancient texts hold.  

The concept of astrology is as ancient and universal as the concept of god itself.  It’s not a tradition that originated in one part of the world.

Not believing is an individual option.

The problem I have with these so called “liberal, progressive” types is they don’t listen to the other side. They have a phobia once ancient texts are mentioned.

Just like the annoying atheist, they seem to get their chaddis in their twist once god is mentioned. Most people who beleive in god, carry on about their business and maybe spend a few hours for their spiritual self in a place of worship. No harm done there, however the atheists seem to have their life revolves around disproving god lol.

Same goes for ancient beliefs. You are feee not to believe but looking down on a age old tradition is dumb. 

the Prem Jyotish guy is a hack but if a person finds solace and peace of mind in buying a gemstone from him that’s his problem, how is that any different from indulging on an extra dessert or making  a stupid purchase on Amazon, it’s the buyers problem.

Edited by Global.Baba
21 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

The concept of astrology is as ancient and universal as the concept of god itself.  It’s not a tradition that originated in one part of the world.

Not believing is an individual option.

The problem I have with these so called “liberal, progressive” types is they don’t listen to the other side. They have a phobia once ancient texts are mentioned.

Just like the annoying atheist, they seem to get their chaddis in their twist once god is mentioned. Most people who beleive in god, carry on about their business and maybe spend a few hours for their spiritual self in a place of worship. No harm done there, however the atheists seem to have their life revolves around disproving god lol.

Same goes for ancient beliefs. You are feee not to believe but looking down on a age old tradition is dumb. 

the Prem Jyotish guy is a hack but if a person finds solace and peace of mind in buying a gemstone from him that’s his problem, how is that any different from indulging on an extra dessert or making  a stupid purchase on Amazon, it’s the buyers problem.

Agree with your post except the bolded part. Most of jyotish "experts" are doing it to make a quick buck. They can't be trusted. Some of the astrologers have deals with gemstone sellers so that both can profit out of scare tactics that the so called astrologer uses to sell the costly gemstone. With everything there is good and bad. This is the bad part of astrology. This turns off some from astrology. I had a friend who didn't want to consult an astrologer but his mom wanted to get his astrology checked. The astrologer used some snake oil salesman type bs on his family and literally told him he will die in the next 10 years if not for some puja or gemstone I dont remember. His mom got scared and got it done even though my friend himself knew this guy is scamming him.

Your assessment of the liberal progressive types is spot on.

Edit: Someone got butthurt about the liberal progressive comment :lol: You know you are on the right track when certain buttons are pushed and the typical reactions follow :phehe:

Edited by Real McCoy

"Someone" might want to scroll up and read what was written before said strawman, instead of choosing to sit with fellow frogs in their own echo chambers slaying imaginary "liberals"....

43 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Btw, Just because one doesn't believe in "astrological" co-relations, doesn't mean that one is a kaffir non-believer, or disrespects the value that ancient texts hold.  

Edited by sandeep

I think I've shared this episode before on a similar thread.

I scored a 48 during my 10th grade prelims in Maths. My mom went into an over drive and dragged me along to a baba (local and without a dot)/numerologist who gave me a taveez and added an 'i' to my name. Maryam -> Mariyam. All of this for a predictably exorbitant sum of money. And behold, my score in the final exams was 84. 

It works guys.  :yess:

PS: I always knew we were the true deen. Even our occult practices work. 

PPS: I should have added another 'i' and gotten to a 100. :(( 

Edited by Mariyam
Added an i, not a y. I'm actually confused now.

The first graha is the Sun which represents the soul, power of the ultimate creator, a person's father, strength and vitality, purpose and direction, managing the bigger things in life, your own authority, authoritative positions and people, etc. Its a male graha, its element is fire and its nature is hot and dry. It rules the sign of Leo and is exalted at Aries and debilitated in Libra. It receives digbala (directional strength) in the 10th house.

13 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

I think I've shared this episode before on a similar thread.

I scored a 48 during my 10th grade prelims in Maths. My mom went into an over drive and dragged me along to a baba (local and without a dot)/numerologist who gave me a taveez and added an 'i' to my name. Maryam -> Mariyam. All of this for a predictably exorbitant sum of money. And behold, my score in the final exams was 84. 

It works guys.  :yess:

PS: I always knew we were the true deen. Even our occult practices work. 

PPS: I should have added another 'i' and gotten to a 100. :(( 

Most probably that astrologer gave part of that money to your exam paper evaluator ( hope this word is correct  )  :phehe:

Edited by Mariyam

My mother got my horoscope done when I was a early teenager. There was a summary created by the astrologer which I was not supposed to read, but found it and read it anyway. It said that I would live in foreign land and be successful in my profession. Also it mentioned a certain chronic (but not life-threatening or debilitating) ailment that I would suffer from most of my life. All three turned out to be true. I do not remember the rest. 

This could be pure coincidence. I do not necessarily believe or would go to an astrologer. Most of them are fake like the Prem Jyotish phucker. As to if there are certain elements of it that are legit, maybe. But I have not really looked into it in depth.

Edited by Audiophile
14 minutes ago, velu said:

Scorpio lagna with Scorpio mars . :bandit:

Taurus moon but waning ( 7th house ) . :love:

Super exalted retrograde mercury with Sun and debilated Venus in 11th house . :money:

Mercury and Venus are very much :money:oriented and are very friendly towards each other :hug: And also since they are within one or two houses at any given time, it may usually be extreme friendship for most people

6 minutes ago, Audiophile said:

My mother got my horoscope done when I was a early teenager. There was a summary created by the astrologer which I was not supposed to read, but found it and read it anyway. It said that I would live in foreign land and be successful in my profession. Also it mentioned a certain chronic (but not life-threatening or debilitating) ailment that I would suffer from most of my life. All three turned out to be true. I do not remember the rest. 

This could be pure coincidence. I do not necessarily believe or would go to an astrologer. Most of them are fake like the Prem Jyotish phucker. As to if there are certain elements of it that are legit, maybe. But I have not really looked into it in depth.

What counts as a foreign land?  For instance, going from anywhere is Austria to anywhere in Germany is a short distance, but technically it represents going to a foreign land, but going from Kashmir to Kanyakumari is not.  A few decades ago, going from Russia to Uzbekistan was not going to a foreign land, but today it is.  How does astrology account for changing borders and varying distances?   

Edited by Param Mastishk Pheeka
Just now, Param Mastishk Pheeka said:

What counts as a foreign land?  For instance, going from anywhere is Austria to anywhere in Germany is going to a foreign land, but going from Kashmir to Kanyakumari is not.  A few decades ago, going from Russia to Uzbekistan was not going to a foreign land, but today it is.  How does astrology account for changing borders and varying distances?   

My astrology untrained guess would be that crossing oceans/seas is akin to going to a foreign land.

Saat samundar paar. What is the origin of that phrase anyways?

I was told that I would be an administrator in a public sector setting in my birth nation.

I am a professor at a private college in a land that is 10,000 miles away from my birth nation.  

When this happened, I was told:

(1) The person who made your first kundli didn't do it correctly, so the premise for the initial prediction was wrong.  So let's retroactively change your kundli to fit your current situation and make all future predictions from the new one.  

OR

(2) The prediction was obviously correct - you administer a college-wide academic program (administrator) at a college that receives federal grants (public sector-ish) and feel at home in your job (your birth nation).

Edited by Param Mastishk Pheeka

Moon in vedic astrology represents the mind, thinking, feelings and emotions, the person's mother, motherly figures, milk and dairy products, creativity, memory, fickle mindedness. If you see all of these things that the moon represents have an ebb and flow on a regular basis just like the waxing and waning of the moon and the high tides and low tides which are caused by the moon. Moon is a feminine graha even though the anthropomorphic figure of Soma the mood good is always depicted as a male with several wives. These 27 wives are the nakshatras. But the energy of the graha is feminine. Moon owns the sign of Cancer and its exalted in Taurus @velu :two_thumbs_up: and debilitated in Scorpio. It receives the most directional strength in the 4th house

The vedas didn't differentiate between Astrology and Astronomy. It was all Vedic philosophies. Indic civilizational advances in this field is astronomical (pun!).  Jyotisya is considered part of Vedas (Vedanga). These days Jyotisya is considered all mumbo-jumbo nonsense by the likes of western educated nincompoops. Buddhists and later astromenrs who came with Siddhanta (like Surya Siddhanta) has a lot of verses that now reveal what they knew what medieval era western scietists discovered. That earth was round and helio-centric as early and 3rd century CE.  The panchang predicts when solar and lunar eclipses happen to the exact date and time, that means they knew how earth, sun and moon rotated. The size of earth was also established. The issue is all these discoveries are in vedic religious texts that were orally passed by generations. 

https://explorable.com/indian-astronomy

The Rigveda shows that the Indians divided the year into 360 days, and the year was subdivided into 12 months of 30 days. Every 5 years, two intercalary periods were added to bring the calendar back in line with the solar year, ensuring that years averaged 366 days. However, the Indian year still migrated four days in every five years, and Indian astronomers constantly tweaked and adjusted their calendars over the millennia. The text also shows that the Indians used four cardinal points for ensuring the correct orientation of altars.

The Jyotisa Vedanga, the first Vedic text to mention astronomical data, records events going back as far as 4000 BCE, although many archaeoastronomers believe that this text may include observations from as early as 11 000 BCE. They point out that some of the records may have been copied from earlier manuscripts, but this is an area where more research is needed, as many of the references are unclear and couched in religious terminology.

The first properly recorded Siddhantic astronomy began in the 5th Century CE, where Indian astronomers such as Aryabhata (b476 CE) began to adopt a more rigorous, mathematical approach to astronomy, directing it away from mysticism and its emphasis on the calendar. Aryabhata added to the heliocentric theory, proposing the idea that the moon reflects the light of the sun, a theory also proposed by some Greeks but not widely adopted. He also proposed that the earth rotated rather than the skies, although this theory lay undiscovered until the European Renaissance and Copernicus.

Brahmagupta (b 598 Ce)

The Siddhantic astronomers also understood that the earth was spherical and attempted to calculate the circumference of the planet. In the 7th Century CE, the astronomer Brahmagupta arrived at a figure of 36 000 kilometers for the circumference of the earth, very close to the actual figure.

In modern era, some of these beliefs are morphed into mumbo-jumbo astrology and a matter of personal faith. I don't believe in it as I know very little of it's impact. It doesn't mean, I will laugh about.

Edited by coffee_rules
3 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

TVhe edas didn't differentiate between Astrology and Astronomy. It was all Vedic philosophies. Indic civilizational advances in this field is astronomical (pun!).  Jyotisya is considered part of Vedas (Vedanga). These days Jyotisya is considered all mumbo-jumbo nonsense by the likes of western educated nincompoops. Buddhists and later astromenrs who came with Siddhanta (like Surya Siddhanta) has a lot of verses that now reveal what they knew what medieval era western scietists discovered. That earth was round and helio-centric as early and 3rd century CE.  The panchang predicts when solar and lunar eclipses happen to the exact date and time, that means they knew how earth, sun and moon rotated. The size of earth was also established. The issue is all these discoveries are in vedic religious texts that were orally passed by generations. 

https://explorable.com/indian-astronomy

In modern era, some of these beliefs are morphed into mumbo-jumbo astrology and a matter of personal faith. I don't believe in it as I know very little of it's impact. It doesn't mean, I will laugh about.

Vedic astronomy was seriously advanced, and yes co-mingled with astrology.  In fact, it was the desire for accurate data to drive more accurate "predictions" that served as the driving force and motivation behind the significant discoveries and calculations made in Ancient India. 

Astrology formed the basis of astronomy. There is a clear distinction. In some of the books I have read, these grahas have a physical layer which can be seen outside as planets but its underlying gist of why its there is captured in the texts. Thats why I make the distinction between grahas and planets. The signs were determined to be 30 degrees to the tee and whatever they saw in the sky in that 30 degrees became the emblem. For example, the stars in Scorpio looks like the letter J with the wings at the top and the Sun passes through the constellation for only 15 days. This is the atheist argument that its inaccurate. But they don't get the basic idea about astrology. Astronomy as a science originated from astrology. Its basically an atheist startup lol

14 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Astrology formed the basis of astronomy. There is a clear distinction. In some of the books I have read, these grahas have a physical layer which can be seen outside as planets but its underlying gist of why its there is captured in the texts. Thats why I make the distinction between grahas and planets. The signs were determined to be 30 degrees to the tee and whatever they saw in the sky in that 30 degrees became the emblem. For example, the stars in Scorpio looks like the letter J with the wings at the top and the Sun passes through the constellation for only 15 days. This is the atheist argument that its inaccurate. But they don't get the basic idea about astrology. Astronomy as a science originated from astrology. Its basically an atheist startup lol

All of this is great, but it seems implausible that your time of birth and corresponding planetary positions dictate your individual attributes and can predict your future. 

17 minutes ago, Param Mastishk Pheeka said:

All of this is great, but it seems implausible that your time of birth and corresponding planetary positions dictate your individual attributes and can predict your future. 

Read my OP. I don't believe in predictive astrology. Some people believe in it and these are the gemstone wearing people. Your time of birth can give you some insight into your own personality based on the graha positions. But nobody knows the exact time of your birth to the second. That can give you variations. That is the reason I don't believe in prediction. And you know what life shouldnt be predictable. Otherwise it would be boring.

27 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Your time of birth can give you some insight into your own personality based on the graha positions. 

I have a hard time with this.  Even assuming we can record the time of birth accurately to the millisecond, how can the position of planets (or grahas) physically affect your neurological attributes that then dictate your personality - at that instant you were born?  Second, shouldn't it apply more to time of conception than time of birth?  

If astrology does not explain personality nor is it predictive, what good is it?

27 minutes ago, Param Mastishk Pheeka said:

I have a hard time with this.  Even assuming we can record the time of birth accurately to the millisecond, how can the position of planets (or grahas) physically affect your neurological attributes that then dictate your personality - at that instant you were born?  Second, shouldn't it apply more to time of conception than time of birth?  

If astrology does not explain personality nor is it predictive, what good is it?

Same concept as the Sun sign that you belong to , those 30 odd days,  will decide if a person is romantic, brave, born leader, has a sense of humour etc.

38 minutes ago, Param Mastishk Pheeka said:

you are mixing science and belief 

16 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Same concept as the Sun sign that you belong to , those 30 odd days,  will decide if a person is romantic, brave, born leader, has a sense of humour etc.

Does it, really? I have the same problem with the Zodiac signs.  I posted the following earlier:

3 hours ago, Param Mastishk Pheeka said:

So, how many of you believe in the Zodiac? 

You know ... the "Dec 23 - Jan 22 is Capricorn and they are smart, stubborn, stupid and flexible" kind of astrology?

4 hours ago, Param Mastishk Pheeka said:

Well Today with all the technology we still can’t get proper weather forecast correct but 

Let us say back in the day thousands of years ago a guy who is a hybrid astronomer/astrologer has his own methods
to look at the weather , could be a more primitive method but those methods and variations of those have over time evolved into what we have today right?

Let us say he predicts  a dry monsoon season and concludes  there will be a famine In the kingdom ?

Obviously it not a 100% possibility, but there is some science behind his prediction Isn’t there?

then would you classify that as science?

Edited by Global.Baba
8 hours ago, Mariyam said:

My astrology untrained guess would be that crossing oceans/seas is akin to going to a foreign land.

Saat samundar paar. What is the origin of that phrase anyways?

It is a multi civilizational concept.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Seas

This Wiki says it might have originated from Sapta Sindhu, but they were actually refering to seven rivers in Rigveda 

It reminds me of this Annie Lennox song. 

Lyrics
Sweet dreams are made of this
Who am I to disagree?
I travel the world
And the seven seas,
Everybody's looking for something.
Some of them want to use you
Some of them want to get used by you
Some of them want to abuse you
Some of them want to be abused.
Who am I to disagree?
I travel the world
And the seven seas

Everybody's looking for something
Hold your head up
Keep your head up, movin' on
Hold your head up, movin' on
Hold your head up
Hold your head up, movin' on
Some of them want to use you
Some of them want to get used by you
Some of them want to abuse you
Some of them want to be abused.
Who am I to disagree?
I travel the world
And the seven seas
Who am I to disagree?
I travel the world
And the seven seas
Who am I to disagree?
I travel the world
And the seven seas
Who am I to disagree?
I travel the world
And the seven seas
Source: LyricFind
Songwriters: Annie Lennox / David Allan Stewart
Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, Universal Music Publishing Group

8 hours ago, Global.Baba said:

Let us say back in the day thousands of years ago a guy who is a hybrid astronomer/astrologer has his own methods
to look at the weather , could be a more primitive method but those methods and variations of those have over time evolved into what we have today right?

one thing about our astronomy/astrology is that it accurately predicts solar and lunar eclipse 

18 hours ago, Param Mastishk Pheeka said:

Look if you don't understand it or don't believe in it, just leave it alone. Why are you bringing conception of birth and neurology into this :noidea: nobody can calculate when the mother is conceived. Its basically like telling the astrologer when the father came into the mother. Astrologer dont need that info. You are just trying to throw this thread in a tangent. I'm just talking about the grahas and how they relate to humans. I have explained about sun and moon in my previous posts. Don't just jump into conclusions before you read any of my posts. I'm yet to explain other grahas, the signs, and the houses. If you are still not convinced, then let it go. This is for those interested in astrology

Mars represents courage and action and usually quick action. Usually in fighting wars, action should be quick and fighters should have courage of fighting in the face of death. No thinking should be involved in fighting wars otherwise fighters would be toast. Which is why Mars is considered as the god of war in many ancient cultures. It deals with conflict by direct action and fighting. It can also represent enemies, strength, wounds, cuts, heat, burning, anger, aggression, basic logic. It also represents younger brothers, friends and friendly competition, sports (which mimic wartime activities in peaceful times to keep the warriors fit and ready for warfare) with the help of Jupiter in a person's life. Mars rules the first sign Aries and Scorpio and is exalted in Capricorn and debilitated in Cancer. Its element is fire and gets directional strength in the 10th house like the Sun.

19 hours ago, Global.Baba said:

Obviously it not a 100% possibility, but there is some science behind his prediction Isn’t there?

then would you classify that as science?

There are 2 major world religions that believe that male genital mutilation makes their God happy.  Is that a scientific belief?  Tomorrow if an isolated tribal from the Amazon or Andaman, sees somebody do a silly dance and flip a light switch, he may believe that the silly dance has the power to turn night into day.  Doesn't make it science.  Random hocus pocus with a sprinkling of math and calculation doesn't make bullshit into science.

3 hours ago, sandeep said:

There are 2 major world religions that believe that male genital mutilation makes their God happy.  Is that a scientific belief?  Tomorrow if an isolated tribal from the Amazon or Andaman, sees somebody do a silly dance and flip a light switch, he may believe that the silly dance has the power to turn night into day.  Doesn't make it science.  Random hocus pocus with a sprinkling of math and calculation doesn't make bullshit into science.

Do you mean circumcision? How is that genital mutilation? 

This was exactly my point about the so called liberal progressive types making a judgement and acting smug and getting all phobic when religion is involved.

Now coming back to that topic, well yes the part of believing that circumcision appeases god is stupid but the process itself does have some science behind it.

In fact true story-  one of my family member when he was a kid had a urological problem and he was recommended circumcison. We used to make fun of him by kind of islamising his hindu name :giggle: 

Obviously everyone going under a knife in the name of religion is stupid.

Thats the distinction you need to make.

With your second example of tribes in Andaman/Amazon you are getting carried away with their traditions and the theatrics behind it like the rain dance etc but isn’t it amazing how they figure out or navigate around nature.

Guess what it is usually the witch doctor/ shaman who guides them on when to bust out the rain dance or go in a certain direction for hunting etc and most times they are pretty accurate. Obviously the tribe call it magic but you can call it a method/ science that the individual has figured out.

You are probably one of those who beleive that before the whiteman conquered the world everyone were living like natives without food,clothing,science,culture and language

Edited by Global.Baba

Mercury in vedic astrology represents intellect, speech and communicating skills, learning, knowledge, trade, commerce, business people, management, lawyers, accountants, anything where attention to detail is needed. It is responsible for management of various things in life with intellect guiding through and compartmentalizing things according to priority. It also symbolizes art and wittiness. In the body it represents the nervous system and the digestive track which require the same attention to detail and communication as to where the nutrients should be delivered. Mercury rules over Gemini and Virgo and is exalted in its own sign Virgo and debilitated in Pisces. Its element is earth and gets directional strength in the first house

Edited by Real McCoy