Time to take another look at Vijay Shankar for ODIs

GautiMaan

Just now, bowl_out said:

IPL again is T20.. he should be considered only for ODI

As I said: “If he is batting higher in ODIs, he may get more time to settle down and control/ease his nerves, but in crunch situations, he could falter if he has not worked on it”

It is not necessarily about the format but ability to remain calm in crunch situations. Just that in ODIs, you would have more time to ease your nerves (as the clock is not ticking as quickly as in T20s) unless you come in the last few overs 

1 minute ago, Sean Bradley said:

Doesn't have it in him to play at Intl. level, has no power game, nothing special with the ball either, dibbly dobbly up and down stuff. I would rather go with someone like Nitish Rana who has the power game, can ball decent off spin and also a decent fielder.

They had so many opportunity to test out guys like Rana. That is what Bangaldesh, SL series are for.  

Vijay Shankar isn't a bad player but again the team under Virat is a bad place for new players coming in. He does not have patience with them and keeps chopping an changing. We as fan have same amount of impatience as well. Like how Virat is spoilt for choices due to the talent at his disposal, which is causing his impatience, the Indian fans are suffering with same problem as well. Every thread on this forum throws 2-3 new names. How on earth can we play all of them in a squad of 15? We need to select a few and stick with them for few month for them to prove themselves. Vijay Shankar played just 12 ODIs and 9 T20Is. His record isn't as bad as we make it out to be. He did play some quick knocks in New Zealand last year in the T20I series. The TM needs to balance out and select players and stick with them with give enough chances. There is a reason players are picked in the national side but if you discard them after 2 games you are basically questioning your own judgement.

I am sure Mayank Agarwal will no longer be picked in India's ODI squad due to his three failures. Same will happen to any other new players which includes young talents like Gill. Youngsters are under tremendous pressure to perform in the limited chances they get, it is hard for everyone to give their 100% in such an atmosphere.

You might criticise Dhoni and his choice of players but again he had faith in few players and he stuck with them and gave them enough chances. Some worked and some did not but again as a captain you need to make sure that young players doing the hard yards and making the team don't get disheartened because of fickle selection policies.

26 minutes ago, cricketpitch said:

Vijay Shankar isn't a bad player but again the team under Virat is a bad place for new players coming in. He does not have patience with them and keeps chopping an changing. We as fan have same amount of impatience as well. Like how Virat is spoilt for choices due to the talent at his disposal, which is causing his impatience, the Indian fans are suffering with same problem as well. Every thread on this forum throws 2-3 new names. How on earth can we play all of them in a squad of 15? We need to select a few and stick with them for few month for them to prove themselves. Vijay Shankar played just 12 ODIs and 9 T20Is. His record isn't as bad as we make it out to be. He did play some quick knocks in New Zealand last year in the T20I series.

Not only in t20 but played well in the chance he got in ODI series and then Home series against Aus . He was also our best batsman in A series against NZ A series prior to that NZ tour and didnt do badly this time either

Just failed in 2 games of Wc 

26 minutes ago, cricketpitch said:

I am sure Mayank Agarwal will no longer be picked in India's ODI squad due to his three failures. Same will happen to any other new players which includes young talents like Gill.

Already happen to gill, went to NZ last yr played 2 games n then many player went ahead of him