Best visiting side (tests) in India

Gollum

Toughest test for us  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Best visiting side to India in test cricket

If you look at overall standings, I would pick WI who I picked anyway due to the demolition job they did in the 80s. In the last 20 years, I would say SA gave India the most trouble. They whitewashed us in 2000 :(( and several drawn series where they drew the first blood and we had to fight back to level the series.

West Indies of course dominated during their time but felt England competed really well most of the times and had some really great series in India. Especially between 2006-2012 where our golden generation played, England drew one series 1-1 and won another 2-1. Special mention to South Africa who also played some pretty good cricket in India in the noughties..

On 4/23/2020 at 12:35 AM, Gollum said:

WI in a different league, still are 14-13 against us after sucking for more than 2 decades. If their full strength team had come in 1979 instead of Packer rejects the record would be lopsided...IMO their actual '79 side was even stronger than the one that came in '83. 

Lost Croft after he was banned for taking part in Packer series.

If you want the peak in 88 years, I rate WI, but overall, I give Eng, because they were consistently good even till 2012. 70s-80s WI pants down for India, Eng too won in 77, 80, barely lost in 81 and won in 85 again. Fought well in 2001 and squared in 2005. Overall the best tormenting sides, Pak loss hurts the most. SA lucky to win in 2000 with India struggling with the team politics, match fixing etc.