Watch Thread !!!

velu

Guys .. 

finally got some moneyz ( after saturn transit :pray: :yess: ) to buy my first Rolex ..

But looks like our local watch dealer is playing mind games with me :police:

Considering i dont have any previous purchase history with them ( ethoswatches ) they are trying to push the entry level models to clear their not easy to sell inventory. 

Any tricks/tips to play with AD to get those are welcome.

My initial plan was to go for oyester perpetual ( 36mm white or 39mm black ) , airking or explorer.

m116000-0012.png?impolicy=v6-corners&sc=0.262&vo=-154

m114300-0005.png?impolicy=v6-corners&sc=0.262&vo=-154

m116900-0001.png?impolicy=v6-corners&sc=0.262&vo=-154

m214270-0003.png?impolicy=v6-corners&sc=0.262&vo=-154

Then came this lockdown. I did lots of googling and found out more that rolex sport-swatches sell for far higher price in grey mkt.

Also Rolex purposefully keeps the supply in check for their sports models . 

Considering we might hit a mini-recession , i shortlisted four more models at slightly higher price range.

1) submariner no date

2) hulk ( i think almsot impossible to get it through dealer )

3) gmt pepsi / gmt batgirl

m114060-0002.png?impolicy=v6-corners&sc=0.262&vo=-154

m116610lv-0002.png?impolicy=v6-corners&sc=0.262&vo=-154

m126710blro-0001.png?impolicy=v6-corners&sc=0.262&vo=-154

m126710blnr-0002.png?impolicy=v6-corners&sc=0.262&vo=-154

1 minute ago, zen said:

what is it that you are seeking in your watch?

1) resale value .. :money:

2) looks ..

infact if i can get a sport model somehow , i can able to profit from even after wearing it for years :yess:

49 minutes ago, velu said:

maximum 8L ..

( going to get 2/3L gift :p: )

That is a good budget (say US$10K). Important thing is to be able to enjoy the watch while it is on your wrist so it should not feel to heavy or awkward on your wrist. Rolex is good but the style would be traditional. Also need to be aware of fakes (which can be hard to tell apart as it could be in gold too for e.g.) 

• Rolex: Both Submariner and GMT are good. If you want a Rolex w/o date, there is the new Milgauss as well. 
  • Other brands: Officine Panerai (which I like currently) - you may have to do some research as to which models fall into your budget, Omega Co-Axial range available in various models like Seamaster GMT Chronograph (within your budget), Chopard Mille Miglia, and so on
  • If you like the Glashutte model, it may have a GMT version as well which may look better 

In India, I guess, Rolex, Cartier, and Omega would have good resale value as they are brands which are relatively more well known. 

Edited by zen

6 hours ago, EnterTheVoid said:

What an absurd amount of money to spend on a watch.

To each their own, I guess.

half of the money or more than half will be received as a gift ( for my service )..  :aha:

4 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Velu, you deserve more dowry than 2/3L

nah .. started mentoring few traders 

one of my apprentice is ready to buy me entry level rolex  , then after extensive research it looks like i can make it as an investment ..

he has a daughter though but too young for me :(( 

8 hours ago, zen said:

That is a good budget (say US$10K). Important thing is to be able to enjoy the watch while it is on your wrist so it should not feel to heavy or awkward on your wrist. Rolex is good but the style would be traditional. Also need to be aware of fakes (which can be hard to tell apart as it could be in gold too for e.g.) 

• Rolex: Both Submariner and GMT are good. If you want a Rolex w/o date, there is the new Milgauss as well. 
  • Other brands: Officine Panerai (which I like currently) - you may have to do some research as to which models fall into your budget, Omega Co-Axial range available in various models like Seamaster GMT Chronograph (within your budget), Chopard Mille Miglia, and so on
  • If you like the Glashutte model, it may have a GMT version as well which may look better 

In India, I guess, Rolex, Cartier, and Omega would have good resale value as they are brands which are relatively more well known. 

checking with authorized dealer here ..

i dont need a formal/dress watch .. sport watch will do good 

practically GMT is really useful for me ( i follow EU timings ) than a sub ..

let me explore panerai ..

Glashutte is not available in indai .. nomos glashutte is there , looks good and comparatively cheap

both rolex and omega can be traded\resold easily ..

main problem i find here is dealers trying to push their unsold inventory :((

my initial max budget was 4L .. guys tried convincing me to go iwc

@zen  because of the lockdown/covid situation  ,  dealers dont have any of my  preferred models ..

lost interest in Rolex , because i dont want to make a dead invest in a deprecating model .. subs and gmts are impossible to get

may order Nomos Glashutte Tetra Azure ... 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFh-7qYGVf79_EEw-qnAh

@zen did you recommend  glashutte original or nomos  glashutte ?

came across GO and alanga &  sonhe when exploring nomos.   GO is reasonably priced and few models look awesome .. alanga is way way outside my price range 

i have got some gujju gene in my blood i think .. i want to buy a watch but its value should not depreciate 

Glashutte-Original-Sixties-Green-3.jpg

Glash%C3%BCtte-Original-Sixties-and-Sixt

Glashutte-Original-Sixties-Iconic-Square

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ1hY6KOgbeu7GNNC08DQc

I am not sure about the resale value of Glashaute in India  :dontknow: .... but Glashaute Original has a longer history .... at the end of the day, it should depend upon your taste  (the looks, how it sits on your wrist, etc.) and the fact that at the foremost, you are buying the watch for yourself to enjoy!