Transcending Fear - Risk Taking In Extreme Sports

EnterTheVoid

2 hours ago, sandeep said:

I have a fear of heights, just looking at this picture makes my stomach churn and toes tingle - an actual physical response triggered by my mind.  

same here ..

last 45mins of mission impossible fallout was nauseating to watch :fear: 

33 minutes ago, velu said:

same here ..

last 45mins of mission impossible fallout was nauseating to watch :fear: 

Haven't seen it yet.  Btw, I have still done a few 'rock scrambles' and even did skydiving, tandem though.  After the initial splitscecond scariness of stepping out of the plane, I actually loved the falling out part, and the floating part with the parachute deployed.  

On 8/13/2020 at 2:57 AM, sandeep said:

Haven't seen it yet.  Btw, I have still done a few 'rock scrambles' and even did skydiving, tandem though.  After the initial splitscecond scariness of stepping out of the plane, I actually loved the falling out part, and the floating part with the parachute deployed.  

There is so much I want to say on this topic. 

I'll write a more detailed response when I get some free time. 

On 8/12/2020 at 2:04 AM, Mariyam said:

@EnterTheVoid

How long did it take you to acclimatise before your scaled the peak in the Khumbu region?

What kind of food/fuel to heat the food do you use at such heights?

Why would you take a picture from such a steep path ???? :(( 

If you stayed in India you wouldn't be eligible for term plans. :p:

The acclimatisation took around 2.5 weeks. The climb itself was done in one non stop 14 hour stretch -  Left camp at 2:00 AM in the morning, summited at 12:00 PM in the afternoon, arrived at camp back at 4 PM.

At 6.5 kilometres high, it is no small peak. However, in the scheme of the Himalayas, this is a chotu chintu mountain.

Everest, for example, takes 3 months to climb. 

As for food, it is Dal power, 25 hour.

Edited by EnterTheVoid

Sky diving, paragliding, hang gliding etc - They all involve piloting a parachute.

Putting aside all the marketing spiel about adrenaline and what not, if you pick up a book about advanced parachuting - such as the one below - you'll see that there is a lot of maths and physics under pinning the mechanics of flight.

You don't need to understand advanced aerodynamics to pilot a parachute. But if you do take the time and effort, it can only make you a better pilot.

20200804-183046.jpg

Trekking in extreme conditions through the monkey way which we once did  accidently. We thought  it was the normal man made route but it was deceptive. Thousands of feet valley at the end of the walking path of two feet.

Climbing the mountain against waterfall.

Numerous thrilling encounters without any protective gear,  but those are the two most thrilling I remember.

24 minutes ago, EnterTheVoid said:

Yes, seems that way. 

That picture was taken in Bolivia. Seems like a long time ago. 

You can find same scenes here in  Dehradun these days in the hills. 

Edited by rkt.india

I took these photos on a recent Himalayan mountaineering expedition.

These conditions are very difficult to fly in for the following reasons:

1. Unpredictable weather patterns. 
  2. Difficult terrain to navigate
  3. Low visibility
  4. High altitude (less Oxygen available)

See the helicopter amidst the backdrop of the icefall for scale.

Yet, the brave pilots put themselves in harm's way to perform high altitude rescues. They are truly angels in my eyes.

I want to volunteer my time and services to the Himalayan Rescue Association. That and medical repatriation flights for the UN in the Congo.

If I can fulfil the above two aims within my lifetime, I'd be pretty content. 

20180412-090254.jpg

20180412-095858.jpg

Edited by EnterTheVoid

On 8/9/2020 at 4:16 AM, EnterTheVoid said:

The psychology of risk taking fascinates me, especially in the context of "Extreme Sports".

I took the below picture at an altitude of 6.5 kilometres above sea level.

It seems like my mate and I are having a Sunday picnic conversation in the backdrop of the Himalayas. However, the picture is very deceptive.

At those altitudes, there are lots of things that can kill you - Spend enough time at high altitudes and you put yourself at risk of "cerebral edema" (buildup of excess fluid in the brain) and "pulmonary edema" (buildup of excess fluid in the lungs).

Life is miserable at high altitude - It's cold, windy, you're constantly dehydrated, everything takes forever to get done. It's one long exercise in pain and misery.

Maybe that's why we do it.

DSC00706.jpg

Images are not showing up for me ... but just reading your descriptions - impressive.

8 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Images are not showing up for me ... but just reading your descriptions - impressive.

Thanks mate, appreciate the kind words. 

The people that indulge in these types of activities, they have the mentality where, they are more afraid of "not living" then they are of "dying".

And fair enough. Dying is inevitable. Not living is a choice.

As with any thing in life, you build your skill set up to these activities. Have to show up and do the work.