India and Russia co-champions of FIDE (Chess) Online Olympiad

Gollum

Russians crying as usual, crybabies :eviltongue:. 3 of our players lost their connection (server issue or global outage whatever) out of which 2 got timed out, Humpy was holding her position before that. Should have been 1 win, 2 draws for India. Even in set one it was India that was pushing for victory. Russia should count itself lucky that it gets to keep gold.....better team in general but not today!!!!!

FIDE Prez is Russian, if he wanted he could have continued those matches or replayed them from that position/time, maybe played safe cos anyway they were busted.

mira rajput news GIF

Just the beginning, when Nihal/Prag/Divya grow up....fun fun fun.

Edited by Gollum

On 8/29/2020 at 7:32 AM, Gollum said:

If 19 year olds from other countries are unable to match our 13-14 year olds (not just this competition) shows how far we have come. In the 70s 14 year old kids from USSR/Europe/USA would probably toy with our national champs. 

Pity that top level chess is so difficult to follow/understand, but as long as the Tiranga flies high no complaints. 

Your 13-14 year olds are actually 19-20 years old with all that age fudging.

Gukesh (youngest of them all), Arjun Erigaisi, Raunak Sadhwani waiting in line. Depth is scary good in boys' division, wish we have a future world champ from junior batch...by the time these boys hit their prime Carlsen will be 40+. I don't think Vidit, Hari, Baskaran etc. will qualify for candidates, even top 10 looks tough, so may not get invited to top events regularly.

Though his play is boring and he mostly plays draws I support funny guy Anish Giri mainly since he is half Nepali and 1/4th Bihari, also has great rapport with our players (Vidit was his second for a couple of years)....hope to see him win candidates and challenge Carlsen one day. 

Not so much depth in girls division but Divya can be an elite player, anyway I am expecting Harika to become World Champ in the next 5 years or so, even Humpy has a chance now that Hou Yifan doesn't participate....she is 33 and a mom but there is a window of a few more years before terminal decline I guess. 

Edited by Gollum

4 hours ago, Gollum said:

Gukesh (youngest of them all), Arjun Erigaisi, Raunak Sadhwani waiting in line. Depth is scary good in boys' division, wish we have a future world champ from junior batch...by the time these boys hit their prime Carlsen will be 40+. I don't think Vidit, Hari, Baskaran etc. will qualify for candidates, even top 10 looks tough, so may not get invited to top events regularly.

Though his play is boring and he mostly plays draws I support funny guy Anish Giri mainly since he is half Nepali and 1/4th Bihari, also has great rapport with our players (Vidit was his second for a couple of years)....hope to see him win candidates and challenge Carlsen one day. 

Not so much depth in girls division but Divya can be an elite player, anyway I am expecting Harika to become World Champ in the next 5 years or so, even Humpy has a chance now that Hou Yifan doesn't participate....she is 33 and a mom but there is a window of a few more years before terminal decline I guess. 

Vidit has not peaked yet....rest I agree.. our younger boys' lot is scary (for other countries)... thought younger girls were weaker links but proved the opposite yesterday by Divya.

Vidit has not peaked yet....rest I agree.. our younger boys' lot is scary (for other countries)... thought younger girls were weaker links but proved the opposite yesterday by Divya.
I think there was one game I was impressed with her..that entire h3 routine..I think against armenia

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Yoda-esque said:

So samay raina got magnus on his channel today..never seen this side of magnus.he thoroughly enjoyed his time

Samay: just setting things up. Meanwhile Vidit, say something good about me.

Vidit: I am out of words.

Everyone including magnus: *laughs*

Anish is also a great addition to the streams, great entertainer.

Once upon a time top chess players, world champs had an air of mystery around them, were largely inaccessible to public, mostly played in closed elite tournaments (with packed crowd if I may add), their interviews in magazines were rare but rich in content. An autograph, sound bite or their annotations/analysis were like gold dust. Nowadays the young GMs (esp <30 ones who grew up in digital age) appear on so many platforms, SM, twitch channels etc and even play online chess, hence exposed to wider audience and pocket more money as well. True for all sports but more true for chess. Imagine Bobby Fischer in today's world :hysterical:

Also the engines available on all sites which is a boon for fans (or bane depending on how you look at it), this change started maybe in mid/late 2000s and picked up steam in the last 5 odd years. Earlier they had ICC (Internet Chess Club) which was quite exclusive and not free, Svidler's ID was Tendulkar (created buzz in Indian media) and young Magnus Carlsen impersonated Anand, Anand played with some name synonymous with Real Madrid......there were even rumours of Bobby Fischer playing with an anonymous username and Nigel Short was sure of that, though some disputed that it was a chess engine.

I personally feel ki some of the romaticism is gone. As a kid I used to collect Sportstar magazines and they featured interviews, quizzes, posters etc, seemed so precious that time. I remember my mom pasted a Sportstar poster of Kramnik with world title in my room to cover a crack in the wall, it had some quote of his about hard workd/dedication and she thought it would motivate me, alas :cantstop:. My room was full of posters of cricketers, tennis stars, NBA players, even rowers, marathon runners....legendary Olympians. And so much content that was considered exclusive those days. Miss that era, because of excessive SM I also feel the innocence is lost, and class. 

Edited by Gollum

11 hours ago, randomGuy said:

Samay: just setting things up. Meanwhile Vidit, say something good about me.

Vidit: I am out of words.

Everyone including magnus: *laughs*

Anish is also a great addition to the streams, great entertainer.

If you like Anish you will love Grischuk, comes on chess24. Russian humour is top class, and Peter Svidler knows so much about cricket, will put ICF to shame with his knowledge. 

On 8/30/2020 at 6:26 PM, Yoda-esque said:

Been really interested in chess off late..can anyone suggest any good books..I am looking for one on middle game

See if you can get your hands on this. Obviously there must be some stream/torrent etc which has this stuff for free. About 7-8 years back, Nigel Short ran the same program for free on chess.com.

Helped me become a bad player from an extremely bad player.

Also try doing the puzzles on lichess. An overwhelming majority of them are based on the middle game. And there is no time pressure. What the Nigel Short method essentially says is that

1) Analyze the given position for hanging pieces, mate threats to you, mate opportunities for you.

2) Analyze the position for any material gain.

3) Jot down your 3 ( or 5) best ideas. Calculate ahead assuming the best response at each stage by the opponent upto 4-5 moves.

4) Evaluate the possibilities and pick one.

Spend 5-10 minutes per puzzle. Watching the professionals play blitz is not a good way to learn. They've solved most of these tactics, put in their hours and are hence able to relate a lot of the positions to stuff they've already solved. Brain muscle memory, if you will :p

17 hours ago, Mariyam said:

See if you can get your hands on this. Obviously there must be some stream/torrent etc which has this stuff for free. About 7-8 years back, Nigel Short ran the same program for free on chess.com.

Helped me become a bad player from an extremely bad player.

Also try doing the puzzles on lichess. An overwhelming majority of them are based on the middle game. And there is no time pressure. What the Nigel Short method essentially says is that

1) Analyze the given position for hanging pieces, mate threats to you, mate opportunities for you.

2) Analyze the position for any material gain.

3) Jot down your 3 ( or 5) best ideas. Calculate ahead assuming the best response at each stage by the opponent upto 4-5 moves.

4) Evaluate the possibilities and pick one.

Spend 5-10 minutes per puzzle. Watching the professionals play blitz is not a good way to learn. They've solved most of these tactics, put in their hours and are hence able to relate a lot of the positions to stuff they've already solved. Brain muscle memory, if you will :p

Wonderful post... hope to see you on samays stream playing as a titled player...btw I have switched to lichess (rating hovers between 1700-1720 as of now, lichess ratings are jacked up by 200-300 pts compared to chess.com near my ratings range) and have uninstalled chess.com. lichess better interface and better analysis.

4 hours ago, randomGuy said:

Wonderful post... hope to see you on samays stream playing as a titled player...btw I have switched to lichess (rating hovers between 1700-1720 as of now, lichess ratings are jacked up by 200-300 pts compared to chess.com near my ratings range) and have uninstalled chess.com. lichess better interface and better analysis.

I am not that good.

@Gollum @FischerTal @Lannister are the real deal.

Me, @Real McCoy and @Straight Drive are a notch or two lower. Or at least that's my guess.

I do follow some of Samay Raina's stuff. That's more on the entertainment side of things than learning chess. That actually suits me fine. But last I checked he had quit chess and was playing random video games. :dontknow:

I play random 1 hour long blitz arena tournaments (1500-1900 category) on lichess and occasionally end up in the top 8. But thats about it.