Traditional oils vs synthetic oils in cooking

Real McCoy

2 hours ago, Norman said:

A bit unrelated but I heard that the "refined" salt we get causes bone marrow cancer. 

Did the mistake of telling my mom that and she's punishing me with the pheeki sambar since then..:((

anything refined is processed. Sugar and rice esp seem to get much more negative reviews related to refinement or polishing etc.

There was this video that i saw abt hugh jackmans diet mantra.. His fitness trainer talks about getting as much nutrients as possible before a human touches it in anyway. Basic idea is any industrial processing makes the food toxic the whole organic industry is built on this.

With unrefined sugar i wash it a bit or remove husk etc before use. But we have ditched sugar or sweeteners from coffee altogether. Rice and wheat.. God rice is the death of me. Qunioa in taste cant even hold a candle to lowest tasting low glycimic brown rice or wheat..no need to bring in jasmin rice or basmati etc. But somehow supposed to eat quinoa, how i dont know.

I found pandan leaves and now make tolerable quinoa to be rice replacement once in a blue moon.

2 minutes ago, Vilander said:

With unrefined sugar i wash it a bit or remove husk etc before use. But we have ditched sugar or sweeteners from coffee altogether. Rice and wheat.. God rice is the death of me. Qunioa in taste cant even hold a candle to lowest tasting low glycimic brown rice or wheat..no need to bring in jasmin rice or basmati etc. But somehow supposed to eat quinoa, how i dont know.

I found pandan leaves and now make tolerable quinoa to be rice replacement once in a blue moon.

I cook quinoa in a cooker and make biryani/upma/bisi bele baath with regular ingredients and masala. Quinoa powder mixed with rava, wheat germ and little jowar/maida to make regular Dosa. Doesn’t taste as much, but still much much better than eating plain or sambar

1 minute ago, coffee_rules said:

I cook quinoa in a cooker and make biryani/upma/bisi bele baath with regular ingredients and masala. Quinoa powder mixed with rava, wheat germ and little jowar/maida to make regular Dosa. Doesn’t taste as much, but still much much better than eating plain or sambar

Tried some of that..i settled in the below.

Cook quinoa with pandan leaves for the aroma. 

And eat with chetinad style fish curry ( salmon and lots of tamarind and garlic) lol.. I cook as wife is veg.

Thats the only way i can stand quinoa.

But will try dosai with quinoa. 

The key to a long, healthy life with strong immune system to prevent Coronavirus is simple.  Do this daily, twice a day if possible.

- 1 glass of milk strictly from Alambadi or Malnad cow.

- Add 4 tablespoons of pure manjal chaandu (turmeric paste, preferably from turmeric grown in Vaniyambadi)

- Add 2 tablespoons of palm sugar (it has a lot of Calcium - as much as half a glass of milk).

- Add 3 teaspoons of methi powder (methi is a superfood with phytochemicals, anti-cancer, anti-TB, anti-corona properties)

- Add 1 teaspoon of pure camphor (camphor wards off viruses and bacterias, and some fungi too)

- Warm in copper vessel on coal stove (stainless steel, LPG and microwave are Western conspiracies)

- Pour into brass glass, hold with a cloth made of Tiruppur cotton and slurp slowly.  Slow drinking helps boost the immune system.

Here is an article that proves beyond a shred of doubt that this works.

Edited by BacktoCricaddict

5 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

@BacktoCricaddict jokes apart, give your serious response. I think you are qualified in this field. My doc asked me to switch to canola from olive oil! 

Western doctor or Indian doctor?  

BTW, qualifications count for nothing.  Research is over-rated.  Just trust the instincts and traditions that were passed on by people whose life expectancy was 30, and you will live to be 120.    

Edited by BacktoCricaddict

5 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Western

Probably paid off by GMO and pharma companies.  

Seriously though, there's really not much to choose between canola oil and olive oil.  Both are rich in MUFA, but canola is richer in alpha-linolenic (a type of PUFA that is associated with better heart health).

Bottom line:  If you're only using for sauteeing and tempering in moderation, either one is fine.  

14 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Yeah, no company is sponsoring this guy.  He is just doing it from the goodness of his heart.  

He is pushing Sadhguru and Pathanjali products. But some look legit.  I have not seen clarified butter stalls in Whole Foods or Trader Joe's yet

Edited by coffee_rules

I have no choice sadly, stuck with mess/canteen/restaurant food. Only things I myself make are boiled egg, milk, coffee, oats, maggi, jhal muri (mustard oil). So yeah only oil I buy is mustard oil (Fortune). 

Ghar mein my mom was dead against dalda, we never used to buy those pastries/cakes cos they use dalda instead of cream. That and palm oil, strictly no. Not sure of all oils but she would use sunflower, sesame (nalla ennai?), sometimes groundnut (generally avoided cos my dad didn't like its smell). Coconut oil for items like aviyal and dunno some Kerala dishes maybe. None of them pressed, in one of our houses we had a few coconut trees so then we used to press for coconut oil, no longer the case now. Yeah and ghee rocks, the crown jewel of our cuisine. 

Edited by Gollum

9 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

The key to a long, healthy life with strong immune system to prevent Coronavirus is simple.  Do this daily, twice a day if possible.

- 1 glass of milk strictly from Alambadi or Malnad cow.

- Add 4 tablespoons of pure manjal chaandu (turmeric paste, preferably from turmeric grown in Vaniyambadi)

- Add 2 tablespoons of palm sugar (it has a lot of Calcium - as much as half a glass of milk).

- Add 3 teaspoons of methi powder (methi is a superfood with phytochemicals, anti-cancer, anti-TB, anti-corona properties)

- Add 1 teaspoon of pure camphor (camphor wards off viruses and bacterias, and some fungi too)

- Warm in copper vessel on coal stove (stainless steel, LPG and microwave are Western conspiracies)

- Pour into brass glass, hold with a cloth made of Tiruppur cotton and slurp slowly.  Slow drinking helps boost the immune system.

Here is an article that proves beyond a shred of doubt that this works.

serious or trolling ? :hmmm: 

i take lot of turmeric and ginger though ..

methi is venthayam right ? :sick: