Actors changing names

BacktoCricaddict

Evidently, on Dec 11, Dilip Kumar aka Yusuf Khan will turn 98.  That's remarkable, but not the point of this thread.

That discussion led me think about why actors change their names.  Why did Yusuf Khan not keep his original name?  Dilip Kumar?  Not even in the same ballpark.  Same thing with Meena Kumari, Madhubala ...   

So why did/do Bollywood actors change their names?  

Acceptance in society in general. Coming from partition and choosing to live in India might have made them or the producers nervous after investing their money . They would have forced it. A lot of Hindus also have changed names to sound cooler

Dharmendra - Dharam Singh Deol

Jeetendra - Ravi Kapoor

Manoj Kumar - Harikrishna Giri Goswami

Raj Kumar - Kulbhushan Pandit

Ajit (villain) - Hamid Ali Khan

Dev Anand - Dharamdev Pishorimal Anand

Akshay Kumar - Rajiv Bhatiya 

Acceptance in society in general. Coming from partition and choosing to live in India might have made them or the producers nervous after investing their money . They would have forced it. A lot of Hindus also have changed names to sound cooler

Dharmendra - Dharam Singh Deol
Jeetendra - Ravi Kapoor
Manoj Kumar - Harikrishna Giri Goswami
Raj Kumar - Kulbhushan Pandit
Ajit (villain) - Hamid Ali Khan
Dev Anand - Dharamdev Pishorimal Anand
Akshay Kumar - Rajiv Bhatiya 

I thought Ajit was some Northie Hindu whose family settled in Hyderabad. Did not know he was a Hyderabadi Muslim.

Sent from my SM-M315F using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Trend is changing now

Dileep is AR Rahman now. That is a positive progression of the society for Bollywood 

Don't know if others in the list above converted to hinduism and changed their names but AR rahman converted to muslim from being a hindu. And he doesn't like people calling or associating him with his former name.

10 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Evidently, on Dec 11, Dilip Kumar aka Yusuf Khan will turn 98.  That's remarkable, but not the point of this thread.

That discussion led me think about why actors change their names.  Why did Yusuf Khan not keep his original name?  Dilip Kumar?  Not even in the same ballpark.  Same thing with Meena Kumari, Madhubala ...   

So why did/do Bollywood actors change their names?  

It is talked about that Yusuf Khan took changed name because some producer thought it would negate the negative impact of revenue from movie and also for getting more roles in his acting career and getting more accepted in the industry 

Edited by Straight Drive

7 hours ago, Stan AF said:

Don't know if others in the list above converted to hinduism and changed their names but AR rahman converted to muslim from being a hindu. And he doesn't like people calling or associating him with his former name.

I didn't speak about conversion/religion too. ARR didn't think of changing his name. Also, he is not the actor on whose name the film is doing business. So, it's not the same case. Others like SRK, Salman, Aamor didn't change names either in the 80s/90s, so the earlier trend of Muslim actors' changing name is not there anymore. In TN, Vijay (Joesph Vijay), Vikram (John Victor Kennady) have chosen Hindu sounding names. Same for - Muhammad Kutty Panaparambil Ismail !