Discussion on Farmers issues in India

dial_100

^ Above numbers indicate that workforce dependent on agriculture in Punjab is lesser than many other states (still need to look into data of other states).

What I didn't have was total number of workforce across all sectors, so couldn't tell how high/low it is for other states like Karnataka, Andhra, Telangana or Bihar, UP, WB. However since % is lower than national %, we can assume that many states would have higher workforce in agriculture.

Number of cultivators and number of agricultural labors data is readily available for each state.

Note that number of cultivators in higher than number of labors in Punjab and Haryana. All other states which have large farming lands have higher number of labors (3 to 5 times higher).

If farm laws were bad, other states would have way more to lose than these two states where farmers are more well off. 

Is it that these laws are bad for rich farmers and good for small/poor farmers?

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

8 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

^ Above numbers indicate that workforce dependent on agriculture in Punjab is lesser than many other states (still need to look into data of other states).

What I didn't have was total number of workforce across all sectors, so couldn't tell how high/low it is for other states like Karnataka, Andhra, Telangana or Bihar, UP, WB. However since % is lower than national %, we can assume that many states would have higher workforce in agriculture.

Number of cultivators and number of agricultural labors data is readily available for each state.

Note that number of cultivators in higher than number of labors in Punjab and Haryana. All other states which have large farming lands have higher number of labors (3 to 5 times higher).

If farm laws were bad, other states would have way more to lose than these two states where farmers are more well off. 

Is it that these laws are bad for rich farmers and good for small/poor farmers?

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Lot of data to sift thru.

39% vs 42% is statistically insignificant.

Would it be fair to say cultivator vs labor number being not high for Punjab could points to more efficient agriculture where you dont need that much more labor? More mechanized farming explains that ratio.

Farmers in these two states are complaining the most as they have a well structured system and they dont want to tinker with it. Moreover they are demanding that all states and farmers should have the same structure.

There is a myth on this forum propogated by few individuals with nebulous agenda that Punjab farmers are rich. Average farmer is anything but rich and wants to get out of farming. They are all selling their land going abroad and feeding their families. They are barely able to make a living.

2 hours ago, Khota said:

Lot of data to sift thru.

39% vs 42% is statistically insignificant.

Would it be fair to say cultivator vs labor number being not high for Punjab could points to more efficient agriculture where you dont need that much more labor? More mechanized farming explains that ratio.

Farmers in these two states are complaining the most as they have a well structured system and they dont want to tinker with it. Moreover they are demanding that all states and farmers should have the same structure.

There is a myth on this forum propogated by few individuals with nebulous agenda that Punjab farmers are rich. Average farmer is anything but rich and wants to get out of farming. They are all selling their land going abroad and feeding their families. They are barely able to make a living.

Average monthly income of farming household in highest in Punjab and Haryana. 

Moreover income in Punjab is 30% higher than income in Haryana. 

Income in Punjab is 230% higher than that of Karnataka. 

This is where I am perplexed. If these laws were so obviously bad then we would have seen more protests in Karnataka or Bihar. 

Avg monthly income of 23k is anything but poor. That's avg income of middle class. 

Avg income of cultivators who are protesting would be much higher. 

Avg income of large and medium farm owners who are protesting is probably 6-13 lakhs (tax free) annually.

Edited by Trichromatic

12 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Average monthly income of farming household in highest in Punjab and Haryana. 

Moreover income in Punjab is 30% higher than income in Haryana. 

Income in Punjab is 230% higher than that of Karnataka. 

This is where I am perplexed. If these laws were so obviously bad then we would have seen more protests in Karnataka or Bihar. 

Avg monthly income of 23k is anything but poor. That's avg income of middle class. 

Avg income of cultivators who are protesting would be much higher. 

Nice try but a big fail.

Cherry Picking GIFs | Tenor

Agriculture is one part of the economy.

Overall income per capita of Karnatka is 50% more than of Punjab. 

It is fine with me if you want to normalize farming income but why dont you go across the board and normalize all the income.

These are agenda driven propoganda that you are blindly quoting.

19 minutes ago, Khota said:

Nice try but a big fail.

It is fine with me if you want to normalize farming income but why dont you go across the board and normalize all the income.

So Punjab should attract more investment than blindly protesting against farm laws. 

43 minutes ago, Khota said:

Nice try but a big fail.

Farmers of Karnataka are way poorer than farmers of Punjab, what is has to do with how much a Kannadiga is earning in IT field? 

Yet to get any answer one simple question - what is stopping other state farmers and I am the one spreading propaganda. 

22 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Farmers of Karnataka are way poorer than farmers of Punjab, what is has to do with how much a Kannadiga is earning in IT field? 

Yet to get any answer one simple question - what is stopping other state farmers and I am the one spreading propaganda. 

You chose to ignore what is in front of you. The IT field and heavy industry was a result of capital infusion in Karnataka by the central government. No such thing happened in Punjab. Peope of Karnataka are not some gravity defying demi gods. It is a result of central intervention.

2 hours ago, Khota said:

You chose to ignore what is in front of you. The IT field and heavy industry was a result of capital infusion in Karnataka by the central government. No such thing happened in Punjab. Peope of Karnataka are not some gravity defying demi gods. It is a result of central intervention.

How is farmer of Karnataka earning from IT field?

Why will a farmer from Bilgi village from Karnataka and earning 3 times less than farmer from Punjab, decide not to protest horrific farm laws based on salary of someone working at Google office in Bangalore?

6 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

How is farmer of Karnataka earning from IT field?

Why will a farmer from Bilgi village from Karnataka and earning 3 times less than farmer from Punjab, decide not to protest horrific farm laws based on salary of someone working at Google office in Bangalore?

No he is not.

I am talking about equity of income distribution for all the states.

karnatka farmers dont care as much about farming as Punjab farmers do because farming is the dominant industry in Punjab.

Punjab has been left behind because they were deprived of industry. I also personally feel Punjab nees to get away from farming and get intoother industries.

1 hour ago, Khota said:

No he is not.

karnatka farmers dont care as much about farming as Punjab farmers do because farming is the dominant industry in Punjab.

Punjab has been left behind because they were deprived of industry. I also personally feel Punjab nees to get away from farming and get intoother industries.

What kind of logic is this? Farmers in Punjab are already rich on an average, there are more farm laborers and less growers in Punjab. Karnataka farmers are poorer and they have less chance to fall back on IT or Industry income and more chance of them committing suicide. But still there are more protests in P&H than in Karnataka. Here they don’t look at IT exports and feel proud by looking at zero balance in their JanDhan bank accounts. 

4 hours ago, Khota said:

No he is not.

Karnataka farmers care less about farming? 

How did you reach that conclusion? 

Everyone cares about their livelihood.

Please don't believe that poor are poor because they don't care about their occupation. 

11 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

What kind of logic is this? Farmers in Punjab are already rich on an average, there are more farm laborers and less growers in Punjab. Karnataka farmers are poorer and they have less chance to fall back on IT or Industry income and more chance of them committing suicide. But still there are more protests in P&H than in Karnataka. Here they don’t look at IT exports and feel proud by looking at zero balance in their JanDhan bank accounts. 

They are not rich but doing better than others. So dont twist words. Karnatka as a state is not dependent on farming Punjab is. hence the protests.

8 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

Karnataka farmers care less about farming? 

How did you reach that conclusion? 

Everyone cares about their livelihood.

Please don't believe that poor are poor because they don't care about their occupation. 

As a state Karnatka has a lot to fall back on besides farming. Punjab does not and that is what I am trying to say.

2 hours ago, Khota said:

They are not rich but doing better than others. So dont twist words. Karnatka as a state is not dependent on farming Punjab is. hence the protests.

A farmer will be dependent on farming. Just because others get into IT doesn't mean he can put down his tools and jump into IT. 

Also, why has Punjab not invested in any other industry? Why should the rest of the country be held hostage for Punjab's lack of vision? Is the Punjab govt doing anything to divest its portfolio of industries? Water is running out due to over-farming. 

32 minutes ago, bharathh said:

A farmer will be dependent on farming. Just because others get into IT doesn't mean he can put down his tools and jump into IT. 

Also, why has Punjab not invested in any other industry? Why should the rest of the country be held hostage for Punjab's lack of vision? Is the Punjab govt doing anything to divest its portfolio of industries? Water is running out due to over-farming. 

Before commenting go read bak ten posts before posting BS.