Discussion on Farmers issues in India

dial_100

I spent only 1 hour and this is what I learnt. This is not specific to any state alone but farming in general. I will put some bulleted points. Those who are experts add to this. We will track good points in farming and where things are not going right. Where things could be changed

1. Average farm land per farmer is very small (2-5 acre)
  2. >80% of farmers (~86%) in india only have a very small land
  3. Average income per acre of land is Rs. 30-60k making household income roughly about Rs 50k to 2.5L
  4. Cost of farming for small land is very high compared to revenue
  5. Because of lack of sufficient income, majority of the farmers are in huge debts.
  6. Monsoon is their biggest challenge
  7. Rich farmers, adhtiyas, bichauliyas, APMC, Local/State and Central government are their enemies or at least they are unfriendly.
  8. Inflation is hurting them worst
  9. Technology is not helping them as much as it does to other sectors.
  10. Complete ignorance of general public to the plight of farmers

Wow.. this is unbelievable. I am not surprised that farmers are committing suicides now. Rather i am surprised that there still are farmers who survived these adversities and still hoping that something will change. I really salute to those. 

How can we help?

https://swarajyamag.com/ideas/farmer-suicide-crisis-in-india-truth-or-myth

Read the whole article, but numbers indicate that India in general has a suicide problem that is not specific to farmers. Farmers are just highlighted so political parties can throw tattie at each other in hopes of winning the largest votebank.  

Figure 1: Suicide Mortality Rate (SMR) of Farmers, Workers and the Indian Overall population (1995-2019)

7 hours ago, dial_100 said:

I spent only 1 hour and this is what I learnt. This is not specific to any state alone but farming in general. I will put some bulleted points. Those who are experts add to this. We will track good points in farming and where things are not going right. Where things could be changed

3. Average income per acre of land is Rs. 30-60k making household income roughly about Rs 50k to 2.5L
  5. Because of lack of sufficient income, majority of the farmers are in huge debts.
  7. Rich farmers, adhtiyas, bichauliyas, APMC, Local/State and Central government are their enemies or at least they are unfriendly.

Wow.. this is unbelievable. I am not surprised that farmers are committing suicides now. Rather i am surprised that there still are farmers who survived these adversities and still hoping that something will change. I really salute to those. 

How can we help?

Op, thanks for looking into it. There is a huge disconnect on this forum. There are folks on this forum who think 60K is too much.

Look at the post below yours. According to this guy not enough are dying.

9 hours ago, dial_100 said:

How can we help?

Do you find if  new laws help or make matters worst for hand to mouth farmers

6 hours ago, jf1gp_1 said:

Do you find if  new laws help or make matters worst for hand to mouth farmers

New laws are the necessary steps that have to be taken because old models were valid 50 years back. At the same time there should have been input from farmers which was missing. They took input from career beauraucrats who are clueless in how real world works.

Add to that the poor top down management approach of Modi. I understand he has the majority but you still need to have the affected party working with you which he did not care.

Next instead of having a honest discussion he went for deflection blaming punjab farmers, then khalistan etc. It became apparent he was not ready to address the issue.

The more important question is if someone working 60 hrs a week and making 5000 rs per month is hurting the tax payers?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/271329/distribution-of-gross-domestic-product-gdp-across-economic-sectors-in-india/

15% GDP contributed by Agriculture. 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/271320/distribution-of-the-workforce-across-economic-sectors-in-india/

41% employed in Agriculture 

This is unsustainable for economy as a model for a developing country. 

On 31/01/2021 at 6:23 PM, coffee_rules said:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/271329/distribution-of-gross-domestic-product-gdp-across-economic-sectors-in-india/

https://www.statista.com/statistics/271320/distribution-of-the-workforce-across-economic-sectors-in-india/

41% employed in agriculture is gradually declining . It was 51% in 2010 . It will decline further until then this sector will need enormous help .

This over romanticism with farmers need to stop. If you can’t adapt or bring in new changes to keep up with either the govt. or nature then that farm land is better off with someone with better technology and innovation. 

back in the day lot of people didn’t have that skill set so it made sense.

Just like with every other profession or business you adapt or perish.

Stop giving these guys handouts. They have a valuable asset: Land. Let them sell and maybe start a separate business if they can’t cut it.

Jai Jawan. Jai tax payer should be the motto. Rest all need to be put in line. You pay tax, you get govt benefits otherwise buzz off.

On 1/31/2021 at 6:53 AM, coffee_rules said:

I agree. The transition path has to be defined not the haphazard snake oil being sold.