How long left for Pujara, Kohli & Rahane?

The Realist

47 minutes ago, raki05 said:

He still dint have longevity of Dravid and Tendulkar in terms of consistently scoring in test. He declined very soon, Tendulkar and Dravid were consistently scoring above around 65 for a decade. Also glaring weakness against swing and any kind of spin which kohli have and he doesn't have a backfoot game at all, that's the reason he looks complete dud against all kind of bowling. Only think he can handle right now is pace bowling on flat pitches even with that he din't score a 100 for more than 2 years now in any format.

What weaknesses he has as of now doesn't mean he always had those, heade runs on South African pitches, English Pitches, Australian and even on Nz , as of now he looks vulnerable agaimst everything but that's how a bad patch is. 

As for longevity, if Dravid was so consistent and didn't really fail much then why did he not average 60 with the bat, Drvaid averages 52 and I am quite sure Kohli Wil end his career with a similar average. 

23 minutes ago, Adamant said:

What weaknesses he has as of now doesn't mean he always had those, heade runs on South African pitches, English Pitches, Australian and even on Nz , as of now he looks vulnerable agaimst everything but that's how a bad patch is. 

As for longevity, if Dravid was so consistent and didn't really fail much then why did he not average 60 with the bat, Drvaid averages 52 and I am quite sure Kohli Wil end his career with a similar average. 

Kohli has already regressed from 53 to 50. If he will continuing playing matches he will end up around Ganguly avg. Kohli was never a good test batsmen. He has just great peak of 3-4 years and now with his age and limited batting skill primeraly hand eye coordination he will only regressed and will end up like 45-47 avg batsmen.

1 hour ago, Adamant said:

I don't know why you are comparing Kohli to Dravid. You should compare him with SRT as both are/were lynchpins of the batting order. Anyways Dravid averaged 55+ in his prime. With waning last few years, it dropped to 52. That is still more than Kohli's current average of 50. at age 33, dravid avearged 60+ the same age kohli is in right now.

I'm not advocating Kohli to be dropped but phase out pujara and rahane with kohli being the last one to go out of the trimurthis.

2 hours ago, Adamant said:

Yo the likes of Dravid, Sachin, Hayden, Ponting etc declined pitifully and still ended their careers averaging more than Kohli, and Kohli isn't even done declining yet.

Sehwag is another case who averaged in the early 50s to 53, only to end it below 50.

2 hours ago, raki05 said:

Kohli has already regressed from 53 to 50. If he will continuing playing matches he will end up around Ganguly avg. Kohli was never a good test batsmen. He has just great peak of 3-4 years and now with his age and limited batting skill primeraly hand eye coordination he will only regressed and will end up like 45-47 avg batsmen.

That's one of the worst analysis I have seen. 

A guy scoring runs for fun in each and every country during his peak is not a good test batsman?

Also, your mathematics skills are commendable, it took him 2 years of averaging in 20s to go from 53 to 50.35 and you think he would retire with an average like Ganguly? 

1 hour ago, Real McCoy said:

I don't know why you are comparing Kohli to Dravid. You should compare him with SRT as both are/were lynchpins of the batting order. Anyways Dravid averaged 55+ in his prime. With waning last few years, it dropped to 52. That is still more than Kohli's current average of 50. at age 33, dravid avearged 60+ the same age kohli is in right now.

I'm not advocating Kohli to be dropped but phase out pujara and rahane with kohli being the last one to go out of the trimurthis.

I don't wanna compare him, it's just that I know that other batters too had similar periods of inconsistency, and I think that if we go by history of great batsman they usually make a comeback. 

47 minutes ago, vijaydude said:

Yo the likes of Dravid, Sachin, Hayden, Ponting etc declined pitifully and still ended their careers averaging more than Kohli, and Kohli isn't even done declining yet.

Sehwag is another case who averaged in the early 50s to 53, only to end it below 50.

Kohli isn't done declining yet? 

How did you come to that conclusion? 

Maybe he has a second peak here and then retires way before the others you quote above did. 

I don't wanna compare him, it's just that I know that other batters too had similar periods of inconsistency, and I think that if we go by history of great batsman they usually make a comeback. 

yeah but he hasn't fixed his chink yet even after it was first discovered more than 7 years ago - the ball on 5th stump he chases after. when people like dravid, sachin get out its usually a great ball that gets them. kohli chases after harmless deliveries and gets himself out.

2 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

yeah but he hasn't fixed his chink yet even after it was first discovered more than 7 years ago - the ball on 5th stump he chases after. when people like dravid, sachin get out its usually a great ball that gets them. kohli chases after harmless deliveries and gets himself out.

He definitely did work on it, that's why he scored nearly 600 runs in England and was top scorer in Africa too, if his weakness was known and it was so easy to exploit it why were bowlers conceding centuries to him.? 

It's just that fishing outside off stump was/is his natural instinct, he had to work hard on it to control and become a better leaver of the ball and he did that in 2018, it's just that that problem has come back again coz he hasn't really been as motivated and hard working as he used to be. 

I am quite sure that he can again modify his batting to control that fishing outside off stump. 

Unlike Rahul he isn't a great leaver of the ball and Sachin was just a gifted player who had everything. 

Kohli needs great discipline to control his tendency of feeling for the ball everytime. 

That's one of the worst analysis I have seen. 

A guy scoring runs for fun in each and every country during his peak is not a good test batsman?

Also, your mathematics skills are commendable, it took him 2 years of averaging in 20s to go from 53 to 50.35 and you think he would retire with an average like Ganguly? 

This is just the start. Earlier at least he used to score 50 here and there, now he has become more worst where a quarter century is a landmark. Let's wait and watch if he continue like this and font go to domestic to rectify his weakness with age catching up he ll end up in Ganguly , laxman around avg which is good but not like a supreme batsmen of generation. Root , KW(though he is htb) , labushane end up as greater batsmen  than him in test, let alone Smith.

13 minutes ago, Adamant said:

He definitely did work on it, that's why he scored nearly 600 runs in England and was top scorer in Africa too, if his weakness was known and it was so easy to exploit it why were bowlers conceding centuries to him.? 

It's just that fishing outside off stump was/is his natural instinct, he had to work hard on it to control and become a better leaver of the ball and he did that in 2018, it's just that that problem has come back again coz he hasn't really been as motivated and hard working as he used to be. 

I am quite sure that he can again modify his batting to control that fishing outside off stump. 

Unlike Rahul he isn't a great leaver of the ball and Sachin was just a gifted player who had everything. 

Kohli needs great discipline to control his tendency of feeling for the ball everytime. 

you didn't mention he had more lives than a cat. england were a poor catching side that series. only side that made indian slip catching look better that year.

13 minutes ago, raki05 said:

This is just the start. Earlier at least he used to score 50 here and there, now he has become more worst where a quarter century is a landmark. Let's wait and watch if he continue like this and font go to domestic to rectify his weakness with age catching up he ll end up in Ganguly , laxman around avg which is good but not like a supreme batsmen of generation. Root , KW(though he is htb) , labushane end up as greater batsmen  than him in test, let alone Smith.

maybe ganguly but not in the same bracket as laxman. laxman may not have the numbers but is a clutch player who played innings that one can only dream of. sigh we had srt, dravid and laxman those days. now we have kohli, dravid and rahane :sad_smile:

1 hour ago, Real McCoy said:

you didn't mention he had more lives than a cat. england were a poor catching side that series. only side that made indian slip catching look better that year.

Here we go, you can't make 600 runs without batting well. These are plain excuses. 

Secondly the chances even out at the end, also I didn't list down the number of drops  for Dravid and also the fact that he batted when there was no drs. 

Also what about SouthAfrican series  where he top scored? You might have more excuses for that too. 

Edited by Adamant
1 hour ago, raki05 said:

I don't know why any Indian fan would wish for him to end up with an average similar to Ganguly or Laxman lol, but that's ok Tall poppy syndrome has hit you hard. 

He does not need any domestics lol, that's for sure. 

Also Lol at calling HTB Williamson a supreme batsman. 

Things change very quickly dude! Two years ago Root was out of form and wasn't able to hit a hundred even if his life depended on it. 

56 minutes ago, Adamant said:

Here we go, you can't make 600 runs without batting well. These are plain excuses. 

Secondly the chances even out at the end, also I didn't list down the number of drops  for Dravid and also the fact that he batted when there was no drs. 

Also what about SouthAfrican series  where he top scored? You might have more excuses for that too. 

its not that he was batting poorly. its the fact that if eng held onto their catches, you wouldn't be bragging about "almost 600 runs". why do you make it about dravid. why not compare him with tendulkar. lol at the trollvote rat fan. truth hurts :lol:  kohli is managing to win because of atg level bowling not because of his batting.

6 hours ago, Adamant said:

Kohli isn't done declining yet? 

How did you come to that conclusion? 

Maybe he has a second peak here and then retires way before the others you quote above did. 

Maybe. A second peak will be nice and all, but this is the classic decline pattern of almost all great batsmen who've played the game. I cannot help but think of batsmen like Amla looking at Kohli's seemingly terminal decline. 

1 hour ago, vijaydude said:

Maybe. A second peak will be nice and all, but this is the classic decline pattern of almost all great batsmen who've played the game. I cannot help but think of batsmen like Amla looking at Kohli's seemingly terminal decline. 

and also ponting. there was a stage when punter looked he might retire with 60 avg, only to end up with a record in low 50s. There are some similarities between Punter and Kohli, both of them were very good at pull,/drive, both had a lot of aggression in their batting (that does not mean high SR), etc. I expect Kohli to end with an avg of 48-49.