What is staple food at your home?

Alam_dar

6 hours ago, Alam_dar said:

Indian Chutneys/Pickles vs Western Salads

Once I counted the numbers of different kinds of green leaves (used as Salads) in a western super store. I was able to count 14 of them. While we had only one type of Salad green leaves (although now we could also buy Eisberg and some others too). 

I think we use green Chutneys/Pickles as substitute to western salads for healthy diet. 

Moreover, a salad of non-green leaves is also used very often for lunch , like raw onions, tomatoes, cucumber, moli (reddish), carrots, beets, raw white cabbage. 

we make chutney from lot of dals.. also chutneys from the peely layers of vegetables like bottle gourd/ ridge gourd.. in Andhra gongura pachadi ( grinding of red sorrell leaves + spices/salt/oil )  is the most delicious thing ppl die for

Question: Was Paneer "always" used in such quantity in Indian Cuisine at it has been used today?

12 hours ago, kosingh said:

No regular paneer eaters here? I could (and often do) eat paneer every day. 

3 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Big fan, fam fav

I have been to Indian Restaurants couple of years ago (in the West), and they were serving only one dish of Paneer ( Palak Paneer).  

But if we go to an Indian restaurants today, then we get a lot of Paneer dishes like Paneer Tikka, and Paneer Biryani and even Paneer Dal etc. 

How is it in real India? Did Indians always use so much Paneer dishes in the past? 

2 hours ago, Alam_dar said:

Question: Was Paneer "always" used in such quantity in Indian Cuisine at it has been used today?

I have been to Indian Restaurants couple of years ago (in the West), and they were serving only one dish of Paneer ( Palak Paneer).  

But if we go to an Indian restaurants today, then we get a lot of Paneer dishes like Paneer Tikka, and Paneer Biryani and even Paneer Dal etc. 

How is it in real India? Did Indians always use so much Paneer dishes in the past? 

It has certainly increased in recent times, esp in a south Dosa idly city like Bengaluru. They use paneer in everything, even road side shops make paneer tikka Dosa. I think it is because

it is the closest in texture to nonveg/ meat. Replace meat with paneer (chicken Hyderabadi to Veg Hyderabad!) in any dish. So veggies don’t miss out on any specific dishes. My fav is Chilly Paneer 

Chilli-Paneer-re.jpg

1.) My family is heavy on wheat, we rarely eat rice. 

2.) No changes in staple diet for us, being from North India we never missed rice much and mostly live on wheat and sattu.

In US I generally buy ready to eat chapattis or paranthas. Sometimes if Indian breads are not available, I would visit a middle eastern grocery store to buy pita breads or naan.

3.) Being a bachelor, I cook decent food for myself. 

4.) Myself!

1 hour ago, speed_thrills said:

Lunch

Rice, daal, any vegetable.

Vegetable Is replaced by any meat/fish preparation every other day.

Dinner

Puffed Rice mostly.

Can't cook, was never inclined to.

Start with simple foods, you will like cooking if you start improvising and adjust it based on your palate 

On 4/10/2021 at 3:36 AM, kosingh said:

No regular paneer eaters here? I could (and often do) eat paneer every day. 

On 4/10/2021 at 12:33 PM, coffee_rules said:

Big fan, fam fav

paneer Shashlik :icflove:

in bier library , they use cottage cheese instead of paneer .. yummy