What is staple food at your home?

Alam_dar

(1)  What is staple food at your home?

(2) Ever any change took place in your staple diet?

For example wife's cooking habits are different than Mama's?  

Or if you are living abroad now (or any other part of India), and it effected your staple food selection?

Or do you have a personal wish to have something different as staple food. For example, you are living in North, but wish to live in South to have southern cuisine as staple food? 

(3) Are you good in the Kichen and able to cook food (at least your staple food) yourself? 

(4) Who rules the kitchen now? You or Bhabi? 

Are your kids of opinion that there is any ONE dish which Papa cooks better than Mama? 

Edited by Alam_dar

1 hour ago, Alam_dar said:

Rajma chawal 

Or if you are living abroad now (or any other part of India), and it effected your staple food selection?

Or do you have a personal wish to have something different as staple food. For example, you are living in North, but wish to live in South to have southern cuisine as staple food? 

yea when i lived alone for a decade had to restort to easy or ordered food, anyways mumbai doesnt have good punjabi food 

(3) Are you good in the Kichen and able to cook food (at least your staple food) yourself? 

use to be 

Are your kids of opinion that there is any ONE dish which Papa cooks better than Mama? 

Mom 

All my dad can do is create a mess

4 hours ago, Alam_dar said:

rice

4 hours ago, Alam_dar said:

not changed till now in my life .. 

staple food use to be raagi and bajra ( kambu ) till my grandparents generation .. rice after green revolution 

Do you wish that Government support Raagi and Bajra in order to introduce them as Staple Foods once again?

2 hours ago, velu said:

staple food use to be raagi and bajra ( kambu ) till my grandparents generation .. rice after green revolution

It seems green revolution changed the staple food in many areas. 

Do you support more usage of old grains and seeds (like Bajra, Raagi, Jowar, and Buckwheat and others)?

7 hours ago, Alam_dar said:

carbs mostly. Rice, rotis, raagi, quinoa, nowadays millets, oats. Proteins from lentils and pulses. 

Pasta, sandwiches, burritos,

Thai noodles, etc

moved from rice wheat to millets recently due to peer pressure. Everybody says it is healthy

I had to teach me wife how to cook mostly, so taught her the way I like.

We used to have only ragi, but now added more millets as they are readily available. 

Quite adaptable. I don’t miss staple food during vacations. Can survive on any veg options, turned veg 6 years ago, no meat since then. Earlier too meat was never staple, once a week or month when I felt like.

Yes. I cook at least 3 or 4 times in a week. All Indian, Thai, Chinese, Pasta, Mexican  etc. Kids prefer my cooking. I like to cook more than eat.

They like my Veg Pulav (Tehri) . Wife makes batter at home for Dosa, and I can make at least 5 types of chutney. I cannot roll chapathis for life. I can make bhaakri  (hand pressed rotis) , 

42 minutes ago, Alam_dar said:

Do you wish that Government support Raagi and Bajra in order to introduce them as Staple Foods once again?

Do you support more usage of old grains and seeds (like Bajra, Raagi, Jowar, and Buckwheat and others)?

These millets and other grains are making a comeback after skipping my parent’s  generation. Everybody I know are dabbling into their fav healthy grains that used to be fed to animals and cows a few years back. We came across a desi guy who runs a business that imports organic grains Made in India and ships everywhere. We got like 40 lbs worth that will last a year now. But, nothing beats rice or wheat, so we end up eating staple 2/3 times a week

rice is very plain tasting and less healthy considering we mostly take white rice ( not brown ) ..

raagi has its own strong taste and i like bajra as well  

World says India is "vegetarian". 

But after reading the replies above, it seems that India is "pulsestarian" :phehe:

Indians have special love for all types of pulses, and it belongs to their staple food more than vegetables. I could not imagine if pulses are so much loved and used anywhere else in the world as Indians love and use them. 

spacer.png

Edited by Alam_dar

30 minutes ago, Alam_dar said:

But after reading the replied above, it seems that India is "pulsestarian" :phehe:

Indians have special love for all types of pulses, and it belongs to their staple food more than vegetables. I could not imagine if pulses are so much loved and used anywhere else in the world as Indians love and use them. 

spacer.png

hate - black eyed beans , yellow  pigeon peas , kidney beans ( rajma :sick: )  , bengal gram

love - green gram ( boiled and then roasted :icflove: ) , green peas , red lentils

Indian Chutneys/Pickles vs Western Salads

1 hour ago, Vk1 said:

rice curry dal chutney for lunch..  roti for dinner. I make sure to eat large servings of curries.

Once I counted the numbers of different kinds of green leaves (used as Salads) in a western super store. I was able to count 14 of them. While we had only one type of Salad green leaves (although now we could also buy Eisberg and some others too). 

I think we use green Chutneys/Pickles as substitute to western salads for healthy diet. 

Moreover, a salad of non-green leaves is also used very often for lunch , like raw onions, tomatoes, cucumber, moli (reddish), carrots, beets, raw white cabbage. 

But after reading the replies above, it seems that India is "pulsestarian" :phehe:

spacer.png
That's interesting or am I reading it wrong. When folks say dal and rice, do they mean just that or dal, rice and some vegetable curry.

Personally, I can't imagine a meal without any vegetable or meat dish. Except maybe kichidi and Katta.

I don't know if it is just a Hyderabadi thing but how many of you have vegetable dishes mixed with mutton or kheema? Mutton with broad beans is heavenly.

Sent from my SM-M315F using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Alam_dar said:

spacer.png

Just filled up my dal bottles. Have all of those and more...except the dried green peas. I do have lots of frozen peas in thd freezer though that I shelled and froze because they were 15 rs a kg .

Staple is Rice, wheat, ragi ( last few years) dals and seasonal veggies .