" Seniority " over " Current Ability ", as the main selection criterion, is preventing Team India from realizing its true potential

7 hours ago, express bowling said:

But it may affect the popularity of the IPL and it's viewership.

Hearing a lot of noises now that there is no.point following a league so meticulously which is producing cricketers who are not winner quality.  

This above sentiment may not be entirely true as we as sticking with Superstar TTFs .... But people will feel what they feel. Can't argue with that.

it has not stopped premier league from being popular, even though IMO eng is nowhere near WC contenders

1 hour ago, Vijy said:

it has not stopped premier league from being popular, even though IMO eng is nowhere near WC contenders

But EPL is played over a much longer time, isn't it ?

And the Football WC humiliation of England happens once in 4 years and can be forgotten for 45 months or so. 

While we are getting humiliated in Cricket WCs 3 times in 4 years as T20 WCs are held every other year. And humiliations in ACs and CTs are adding to the bitter feeling regularly. 

9 minutes ago, express bowling said:

But EPL is played over a much longer time, isn't it ?

And the Football WC humiliation of England happens once in 4 years and can be forgotten for 45 months or so. 

While we are getting humiliated in Cricket WCs 3 times in 4 years as T20 WCs are held every other year. And humiliations in ACs and CTs are adding to the bitter feeling regularly. 

yes, I agree with all the above points. footer is obviously not exactly the same as cricket.

however, the big problem is that Ind public is willing to stand for quite a low bar. if we keep making SFs (which is quite easy - look at even this WC), then they will think we are "competitive". therefore, the IPL will represent the only point of entry to cricket for the majority (>90%) of casual viewers.

18 hours ago, SRT100 said:

Disgraceful comments.

Australian Cricket always thinks years ahead in preparation for World Championship Events.

They dropped Steve Waugh despite Waugh having won the last World Cup as captain. This is how it needs to be. Decision was completely justified as Waugh wasn't in good ODI form. They move on to a new captain and the new captain also brings home the next World Cup trophy.

Our cricket selection decisions are driven too much by hero worship. Some players have become bigger than the game and selectors just don't have the balls to drop them.

1 minute ago, Texan said:

They dropped Steve Waugh despite Waugh having won the last World Cup as captain. This is how it needs to be. Decision was completely justified as Waugh wasn't in good ODI form. They move on to a new captain and the new captain also brings home the next World Cup trophy.

Our cricket selection decisions are driven too much by hero worship. Some players have become bigger than the game and selectors just don't have the balls to drop them.

not just players, but also coaches. dravid along with vada pav (rohit) is getting free reign to do what he wants

Just now, sarchasm said:

Last WC, we had the one big liability in Dhoni and he torpedoed our chances at WC19. Everyone knew it was coming and nothing was done.

This time we have learnt the lesson and going in with not one but THREE liabilities up top - the toxic trifecta of Brohit, Coolie and Dhawan. Going to be fun watching this car crash.

don't also forget the mentally negligible Kela at 4, and the fiery pace quartet of chahar, thakur, booba, and harshal.

5 minutes ago, sarchasm said:

Last WC, we had the one big liability in Dhoni and he torpedoed our chances at WC19. Everyone knew it was coming and nothing was done.

This time we have learnt the lesson and going in with not one but THREE liabilities up top - the toxic trifecta of Brohit, Coolie and Dhawan. Going to be fun watching this car crash.

We always have some liability or the other. It is almost like the most hyped players in India (so called experienced players) are given at least one World Cup to screw up so they will hopefully decide to retire. We did that once with Yuvraj Singh, then with Dhoni, now with Kohli and Rohit. At the most Dhawan might get dropped, but don't expect much more.

1 hour ago, wanted_desi said:

If they start losing to likes of Bangladesh, cricket will lose to other sports sooner or later. 

It already has,no one has any clue

India is part of an ongoing series,no one cares anymore about bilaterals

They are sick of watching same failure faces and even pre primary kids mock our trundler army who are so so condition dependent

2 minutes ago, Texan said:

We always have some liability or the other. It is almost like the most hyped players in India (so called experienced players) are given at least one World Cup to screw up so they will hopefully decide to retire. We did that once with Yuvraj Singh, then with Dhoni, now with Kohli and Rohit. At the most Dhawan might get dropped, but don't expect much more.

bhai chacha ain't going nowhere

Just now, Suhaan said:

It already has,no one has any clue

India is part of an ongoing series,no one cares anymore about bilaterals

They are sick of watching same failure faces and even pre primary kids mock our trundler army who are so so condition dependent

get some kindergarteners and ask them to shout insults toward booba, harshal, chahar, and thakur. this quartet need to be roasted by 3-5 yr olds

15 minutes ago, Vijy said:

yes, I agree with all the above points. footer is obviously not exactly the same as cricket.

however, the big problem is that Ind public is willing to stand for quite a low bar. if we keep making SFs (which is quite easy - look at even this WC), then they will think we are "competitive". therefore, the IPL will represent the only point of entry to cricket for the majority (>90%) of casual viewers.

Getting a very different feel from casual viewers around me.

" Cricket can go to hell  " .. " I have better things to do than watch these losers " .. " Even Indian girls can bowl quicker than these pansies " .. " They bat slower than Boycott. Disgusting ! "

All statement I have heard from very casual viewers around me. 

33 minutes ago, express bowling said:

" Cricket can go to hell  " .. " I have better things to do than watch these losers " .. " Even Indian girls can bowl quicker than these pansies " .. " They bat slower than Boycott. Disgusting ! "

might be small sample sizes from both our ends, and the truth lies somewhere in between.

the problem is that Indian sport has had a long history of only living with mediocrity - and this state of affairs was tacitly endorsed by supporters. until this changes significantly (bit like what we are seeing in some Olympic sports), the same old lack of accountability will continue

Edited by Vijy
4 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Those people are probably the more knowledgeable among the crowd. There are tons of Indian supporters who just watch games for hero worship, which is very unfortunate. Also, the worst part is that our journalists and even retired cricketers and commentators never question team selection when the same failed guys keep getting picked again and again in the name of "experience". 

1 minute ago, Texan said:

Those people are probably the more knowledgeable among the crowd. There are tons of Indian supporters who just watch games for hero worship, which is very unfortunate. Also, the worst part is that our journalists and even retired cricketers and commentators never question team selection when the same failed guys keep getting picked again and again in the name of "experience". 

Yeah manju lost his job for questioning Jaddu selection.

8 hours ago, Texan said:

There are tons of Indian supporters who just watch games for hero worship, which is very unfortunate.

This has largely ended among the masses with Dhoni's retirement 

The general Indian does not have that connect with either cricket or cricketers in the last few years.

The few die hard fans of Kohli etc. are very  " vocal " on social media and may give the impression that they represent the majority 

Apart from I,  I dont know any Indian among my friends, family, colleagues and aquintances spanning 15 states in India amd different social strata, who even follow Cricket Scores. 

For most, intetest in cricket ended 10 to 12 years back as India started having more and more avenues of social enjoyment and more and more options of things to watch.

8 hours ago, Texan said:

Also, the worst part is that our journalists and even retired cricketers and commentators never question team selection when the same failed guys keep getting picked again and again in the name of "experience". 

That is very true.

Edited by express bowling
49 minutes ago, Vijy said:

might be small sample sizes from both our ends, and the truth lies somewhere in between.

the problem is that Indian sport has had a long history of only living with mediocrity - and this state of affairs was tacitly endorsed by supporters. until this changes significantly (bit like what we are seeing in some Olympic sports), the same old lack of accountability will continue

Most people in India, in the last few years, have zero interest in cricket.

They don't even know that matches are going on. They just follow international football but the biggest interest is parties, get-togethers and other enjoyable activities in their own lives.

The only different thing I observed was when India won the test series in Australia and Pant's aggressive batting in winning causes against all odds, caught people's imaginations. 

Even if 10% in India are watching cricket, it is still a very large number. So, it may seem otherwise.

We will find out the truth in  the next 10 to 15 years when this number dwindles to 5% or 3%.

Cricket, as a mass sport, is on the verge of absolutely crashing in India.

Edited by express bowling
2 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Most people in India, in the last few years, have zero interest in cricket.

They don't even know that matches are going on. They just follow international football.   

The only different thing I observed was when India won the test series in Australia and Pant's aggressive batting in winning causes against all odds, caught people's imaginations. 

Even if 10% in India are watching cricket, it is still a very large number. So, it may seem otherwise.

We will find out the truth in  the next 10 to 15 years when this number dwindles to 5% or 3%.

Cricket, as a mass sport, is on the verge of absolutely crashing in India.

BCCI will only expedite the process...  I suspect after eventual exit from 2023 WC cricket might see a drastic fall in viewership in India. 

FIFA WC is catching the attention everywhere & u never know...  Urban India is already disinterested nowadays with cricket.