" Seniority " over " Current Ability ", as the main selection criterion, is preventing Team India from realizing its true potential

This dimwit captain has ZERO sense of team building or of nurturing young talent. That's how pathetic he is. And on top of that he's surrounded himself with yesmen as coaches instead of proper professional who are interested in moving the team forward. Only a duffer will drop Siraj, Thakur and Sundar from the next test after their Gabba heroics. Instead he picked Umesh and Ishant, that's the level of cricketing acumen this dickhead has.

He's a jealous and insecure clown. Till the time he remains captain, I have got no hopes of seeing any single young player succeed. Sack this joker and his gang of sidekicks. We SHOULD ask for these knee jerk reactions, wholesale changes, a complete revamp. Else the damage to Indian cricket will be immense.

@Trichromatic has posted this in another thread.

How can we let 3 batsmen play every match despite such poor returns for such a long time, just because they are seniors ?  

Would youngsters like Pant or Gill have survived this kind of mediocrity for so long. !!

Shaw got dropped from the squad after 1 bad test match.

4 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Until and unless accountability is introduced in Indian cricket, we can never rule World Cricket like WI of the 1980s or Australia of 1995 to 2008 ... although we have the resources to do so now.

Our inept captain clown and cheerleader coach are the biggest stumbling blocks in ensuring a fair system. Throwing them out from there positions is the first necessary step towards even thinking of the word accountability in Indian cricket.

1 hour ago, Sandeep99 said:

If Pujara has to play, he has to open. Period. We need to blood in youngsters in the middle order. We're repeating same mistakes that happened in 2011. Swap Gill and Pujara. Would be ideal,. An opener who can see off the new ball and at 3 you have someone who is looking to take the game forward. At least this needs to happen for the England series.

Not in England bro. We need shot makers in England. 

Because he will do his classic 10 runs in 90 balls. He can see of the new ball in England but the ball swings more after 20 overs. That's the issue. 

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Not in England bro. We need shot makers in England. 

Because he will do his classic 10 runs in 90 balls. He can see of the new ball in England but the ball swings more after 20 overs. That's the issue. 

See Pujara is not going anywhere. He will play all the 5 tests in England. I'm just saying playing him as the opener would just minimize the damage. 

Starting 2018  (  time from which our away tour cycle started ), Pujara averages 35 and Rahane averages 37.  Can a Team, which aspire to be the undisputed World Champion, fill such crucial middle order positions with such inconsistent batsmen ?

https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;filter=advanced;orderby=batting_average;qualmax1=50000;qualmin1=500;qualval1=runs;spanmax2=24+Jun+2021;spanmin2=01+Jan+2018;spanval2=span;team=6;template=results;type=batting

11 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Starting 2018  (  time from which our away tour cycle started ), Pujara averages 35 and Rahane averages 37.  Can a Team, which aspire to be the undisputed World Champion, fill such crucial middle order positions with such inconsistent batsmen ?

https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=1;filter=advanced;orderby=batting_average;qualmax1=50000;qualmin1=500;qualval1=runs;spanmax2=24+Jun+2021;spanmin2=01+Jan+2018;spanval2=span;team=6;template=results;type=batting

that has been our overseas problem ever since, ppl have wasted to much time on bowlers n all rounder but those 2 have been the problem. 

It was only a matter of time that kohli will face a dip, luckily we have pant or else with Saha this wud have been even worse

Except Australia, Pujara averages 30 in SEN and WI

Rahane is only slightly better

At home they are not dominating either.

Yet they are certainties as they are seniors

Vihari has not played a home Test.Could surely have played in place of one of them.Would also help groom players for future

7 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

that has been our overseas problem ever since, ppl have wasted to much time on bowlers n all rounder but those 2 have been the problem. 

It was only a matter of time that kohli will face a dip, luckily we have pant or else with Saha this wud have been even worse

Yes, our bowling has generally been very good since 2018, and have bailed us out despite batsmen faltering time and again.

It is our batting, especially the middle order before Pant, which is the main issue.

@express bowling I do not think thet Bhumrah or any other bowler is poor. In my opinion a captains job is when and how he leads the team when in middle. let me give a personal example. Two weeks back i was playing a match and field was set. But opponents has scored over 200 and I could observe the intention of batsman and put covers fielder 10 steps back and two balls later, he got a simple catch, which would have been otherwse couple of runs if I hadnt changed his position.

And this happens with me atleast 2-3 times each match. So if a ball is hit in air and its difficult to reach and goes for runs, that means Captain has failed to understand bowlers pace and batsmans intention and game between bowler and bat.

I dont think Kohli has any brain cell when it comes to filed placing. Just a couple of yard left right, or behind actually makes a difference between a ball slashed for four or slashed straight to fielder as caught.

I also understand why Bhumrah struggled while Kiwis were unplayable in English conditions but thats for some other day.

Bottom line: Kohli is more to blame when our bowlers who are world class cant take wickets. We need better skipper who understand field placement and game in general.

In SENA since 2018:

Primary team India 
Opposition team Australia  or England  or New Zealand  or South Africa 
Home or away away (home of opposition) 
Start of match date between 1 Jan 2018 and 24 Jun 2021 
Qualifications runs scored between 500 and 50000 
Ordered by batting average (descending)

Overall figures
Player Span Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave BF SR 100 50 0 4s 6s  
V Kohli 2018-2020 15 29 0 1277 153 44.03 2467 51.76 4 6 2 148 2  
RR Pant 2018-2021 12 22 2 846 159* 42.30 1239 68.28 2 2 1 88 16  
CA Pujara 2018-2021 17 33 1 1270 193 39.68 3605 35.22 4 7 4 136 2  
AM Rahane 2018-2021 16 31 1 890 112 29.66 2042 43.58 1 4 2 87 6  

Other batsmen have mostly played in India or such favorable conditions. The above have played in a variety of conditions impacting their averages. Of the above, only Pujara bats in the top order to avg 40 in SEN, which is good considering today's opening bowling attacks in such conditions 

PS batting in the top order in SENA, Pujara has 11 50+ scores in 33 innings ... In the MO,  Kohli 10 in 29, and Rahane only 5 in 31 

Edited by zen
46 minutes ago, mishra said:

@express bowling I do not think thet Bhumrah or any other bowler is poor. In my opinion a captains job is when and how he leads the team when in middle. let me give a personal example. Two weeks back i was playing a match and field was set. But opponents has scored over 200 and I could observe the intention of batsman and put covers fielder 10 steps back and two balls later, he got a simple catch, which would have been otherwse couple of runs if I hadnt changed his position.

And this happens with me atleast 2-3 times each match. So if a ball is hit in air and its difficult to reach and goes for runs, that means Captain has failed to understand bowlers pace and batsmans intention and game between bowler and bat.

I dont think Kohli has any brain cell when it comes to filed placing. Just a couple of yard left right, or behind actually makes a difference between a ball slashed for four or slashed straight to fielder as caught.

I also understand why Bhumrah struggled while Kiwis were unplayable in English conditions but thats for some other day.

Bottom line: Kohli is more to blame when our bowlers who are world class cant take wickets. We need better skipper who understand field placement and game in general.

Agree. Our bowling has been top class from 2018 onwards. Our pacers have had the best away averages as well as home averages as a group in this period, before the final.

Bumrah, Shami and Ishant have all been excellent. Also Siraj in the limited opportunities he has got. They have bailed us out when batsmen have failed.

Only thing on this topic is ... we need to look forward and look to find replacements for Ishant and Umesh. Ishant has not been fully fit for the last 2 years and there are better bowlers than Umesh in India now.

Siraj is ready as one replacement. One among Prasidh and Avesh may replace the other. This step needs to be taken pro-actively without hanging on to Ishant and Umesh now. This is where preferring seniors must stop.