Pushing For Kongu Nadu — BJP Backers Needle Ruling DMK With Separate State Question !!!

velu

God is this still going on??. As I said, there is absolutely no demand for Kongunadu except from twitter hashtags. TN is one of the few states where there the growth is spread across diff districts. Even ADMK is not supporting this.

Edited by ash

Hypothetically, if the region were to ever become a separate state, what would be the adjective used for the people of the area?

Konguian?

Or just Kongu?

These are serious issues. Surprised that the rest of ICF hasn't broached the topic so far. Why is it always me who has to bring all the immensely relevant points into the discussion?? Shape up guys.

What I find extremely strange in the successive bifurcation of Indian states is that the new states formed have almost no real historical identity. Take for instance, Chattisgarh. Would you find any reference to a region called Chattisgarh in any publication/work of fiction/historical treatise *before* the formation of the state? 

Now there is a language called Chattisgarhi too. 3 generations ago, people speaking the same language would have classified it as some dialect of Hindi or Bhil.

#Just an observation, not really taking sides here.

On the other hand, there have been historical entities like Bundelkhand/Vidarbha etc which have never evolved into their own states. 

3 hours ago, ash said:

God is this still going on??. As I said, there is absolutely no demand for Kongunadu except from twitter hashtags. TN is one of the few states where there the growth is spread across diff districts. Even ADMK is not supporting this.

Kongunadu contributes to 40% of TN SGDP, but has one airport.

2 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Hypothetically, if the region were to ever become a separate state, what would be the adjective used for the people of the area?

Konguian?

Or just Kongu?

These are serious issues. Surprised that the rest of ICF hasn't broached the topic so far. Why is it always me who has to bring all the immensely relevant points into the discussion?? Shape up guys.

They are called Kongas in Bengaluru. Actually, as per etymology of the word for the region, is because that are was ruled by the Ganga dynasty who were ruling parts of Karnataka as well. Ganga was morphed into Konga/Kongu in Tamizh. Ideally, they should merge with Karnataka :vroam: or take part of Karnataka with them, like white field, Kolar, Kollegal, etc. 

30 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Kongunadu contributes to 40% of TN SGDP, but has one airport.

Yes it has an international airport. I think you imagine Coimbatore to be a village or something , that is neglected for decades. I have lived in Coimbatore for 6 years it is a proper city. Thanks for the concern but no one in Coimbatore wants kongunadu except some sanghis.

38 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

They are called Kongas in Bengaluru. Actually, as per etymology of the word for the region, is because that are was ruled by the Ganga dynasty who were ruling parts of Karnataka as well. Ganga was morphed into Konga/Kongu in Tamizh. Ideally, they should merge with Karnataka :vroam: or take part of Karnataka with them, like white field, Kolar, Kollegal, etc. 

kongu nadu was ruled by chera, chola and pandya dynasties. Any evidence of ganga dynasty. Have never heard about it in South India.

46 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

kongu nadu was ruled by chera, chola and pandya dynasties. Any evidence of ganga dynasty. Have never heard about it in South India.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Ganga_dynasty

At times, they also controlled some areas in modern Tamil Nadu (Kongu region starting from the 6th century rule of King Avinita) and Andhra Pradesh (Ananthpur region starting from the middle of the 5th century).[

Kongu Nadu, also known by various names as Kongu Mandalam[3][4] and Kongu belt,[5] is a geographical region comprising present day parts of south-western Tamil Nadu, southeastern Karnataka and eastern Kerala.[2] In the ancient Tamilakam, it was the seat of the Chera kings, bounded on the east by Tondai Nadu, on the south-east by Chola Nadu and on the south by Pandya Nadu regions.[6]

The region was ruled by the Cheras during Sangam period between c.1st and the 4th centuries CE and it served as the eastern entrance to the Palakkad Gap, the principal trade route between the west coast and Tamil Nadu. The Kosar people mentioned in the second century CE Tamil epic Silappathikaram and other poems in Sangam literature is associated with the Coimbatore region. The region was located along an ancient Roman trade route that extended from Muziris to Arikamedu.The Gangas of Talakad ruled it for over 5 centuries. 

Although, I was right about the etymology of Konga, but it is far-reaching to make it  due to Ganga dynasty which came about much later in the 500-600 BCE. It is so ironic that this region is named after a north Indian river :giggle:

Edited by coffee_rules

13 minutes ago, ash said:

The term kongu Nadu was used even in early sangam literature like silapathigaram. Nothing to do with Ganga dynasty

That was a reach. Already clarified. But the etymology is correct. It is from the Aryan river - Ganga 

Kongu Nadu is also believed to have come from "Kongadesam", "Konga" a variant of the term "Ganga", meaning "Land of the Ganges". The area is also known as Kongu Mandalam.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kongu_Nadu#Etymology

1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Ganga_dynasty

Although, I was right about the etymology of Konga, but it is far-reaching to make it  due to Ganga dynasty which came about much later in the 500-600 BCE. It is so ironic that this region is named after a north Indian river :giggle:

You seem to have missed the other elements of the etymology. It was first ruled by the chera dynasty before the ganga dynasty. So I would trust this more than the north indian river theory.

The name Kongunadu draws its origin from the term Kongu, meaning nectar or honey. Anthropological method traces the name of the area's early residents, who were known as kongar and they were believed to wear a garland made of konganam flowers, which are plentiful in this area. The name Kongu is likewise related to the Tamil word Kangu, which meant 'edge' or 'boundary.' Since this area served as a border to the Pandiya, Chola and Chera dynasties, it was likely given the name kangu, which was eventually transformed to Kongu.[1]

9 hours ago, ash said:

So what does the kmdk (alliance partner of the dmk) truly stand for? (Not a rhetorical question)

1 minute ago, G_B_ said:

So what does the kmdk (alliance partner of the dmk) truly stand for? (Not a rhetorical question)

Alliance partners have different ideologies I am not going to hold DMK accountable for that. All I am saying is there is no ground level support among public for kongunadu. 

7 hours ago, G_B_ said:

No...

What do you mean?

That @velu thinks BJP is doing this. Both you and I know its a ADMK stronghold and BJP wants the split so it can increase its influence. You are a BJP supporter/worker. You should know who is behind this. Not all things a party does is announced by them before hand

On 7/15/2021 at 5:41 AM, ash said:

Dinamalar is the culprit in pushing this agenda by having it as frontpage article.