Will Root end up with a higher average than Kohli?

sage

11 minutes ago, Adamant said:

This thread has been down since Root's failure in Australian conditions (yet again). Typical. 

With home season coming up for Kohli and him getting to bat against the likes of Srilanka and Bangladesh this average difference is gonna rise. 

are you sure? he looks better away than at home these days.

Both SL and BD have some good spinners

2 hours ago, Lord said:

are you sure? he looks better away than at home these days.

Both SL and BD have some good spinners

yes, they do. and Ind has stopped preparing "classic" pitches (flat on days 1-2, and turning from day 3 onward) since the whooping by Eng in Chennai. There will be more turners and SL/BD have good enough spinners to capitalize on Virat and Purane.

Bangalore is the venue for Virat's 100 test and in memory of what he has achieved for Royal Challengers Bangalore for 14 years, the curators will prepare a good batting wicket for their truly memorable batsman and captain to hit a hundred and make his 100th test a memorable one.

Edited by Majestic
On 1/17/2022 at 1:54 PM, Majestic said:

Bangalore is the venue for Virat's 100 test and in memory of what he has achieved for Royal Challengers Bangalore for 14 years, the curators will prepare a good batting wicket for their truly memorable batsman and captain to hit a hundred and make his 100th test a memorable one.

even if you give him that patta on which SL scored 952, I am not sure how many runs he will make - I guess we'll find out soon enough.

On 1/17/2022 at 3:03 PM, Adamant said:

This thread has been down since Root's failure in Australian conditions (yet again). Typical. 

With home season coming up for Kohli and him getting to bat against the likes of Srilanka and Bangladesh this average difference is gonna rise. 

Famous last words :phehe:

1 hour ago, sage said:

Wow... Root's live average finally levels Virat. What a comeback for Root (and decline for Rat)

spacer.png

Rooting for Root to finish with an avg of >50. second best batter of this era, immediately behind smith. better than babar, williamson, and kohli.

3 hours ago, sage said:

Wow... Root's live average finally levels Virat. What a comeback for Root (and decline for Rat)

spacer.png

England players play a lot of tests and the conditions are not as easy in England so it will not be possible for Root to go past 50 average mark as a bad patch will come and he will eventually end at average of 48-49.

Irrespective of the averages, Root is comfortably a better test batsman as he has been carrying a poor batting lineup like a lone warrior. He is still young and in great form so backing him to get to 14000 test runs. To surpass Tendulkar's tally, he will have to play till 38-39 which looks unlikely as I think he wishes to feature in IPL sooner.

Edited by Majestic
3 hours ago, Vijy said:

Rooting for Root to finish with an avg of >50. second best batter of this era, immediately behind smith. better than babar, williamson, and kohli.

In my book, Kane is a slightly better batsman than Root, but hands down both of them are better than Kohli. 

40 minutes ago, Texan said:

In my book, Kane is a slightly better batsman than Root, but hands down both of them are better than Kohli. 

That's fair enough, although in my book Root is more consistent and versatile across different pitches. KW has middling records in too many countries even though his technique is tighter

49 minutes ago, Vijy said:

That's fair enough, although in my book Root is more consistent and versatile across different pitches. KW has middling records in too many countries even though his technique is tighter

Agreed. KW for some reason has hardly scored runs away vs major countries. He has mostly failed against the likes of India, England, South Africa, Sri Lanka etc. Even against Australia, the one series he dominated was 2016 one where wickets were absolutely flat. He failed there aside of that series.

At home, Kane has great record but to some extent even that is inflated as he hasn't done well vs Australia ( a team that is used to beating NZ home and away) and India.

All in all, he has been just a Mahela Jayawardene level batsman.

There ain't no fab 4

It's Smith

Light years

Root

Kane

Kohli

Off the younger ones

Pant

Babar

Conway

Rizwan

Sundar when he is injury free will be the most clutch batsman in the world. Better than even Pant. Just wait and watch. Provided he is injury free ofocourse. Kid is made of glass.