England Test squad vs India for the third match- Malan added

Good news is that Chris Woakes is still not fit. His bowling would have been an upgrade on Curran. 

Possible 11 would be:

1. Burns

2. Hameed

3. Pope/Malan (not sure who)

4. Root

5. Bairstow

6. Butler

7. Moeen

8. Curran

9. Robinson

10. Wood/Overton (Wood plays if fit)

11. Anderson

Ashwin should replace Ishant and Mayank/Vihari should replace Pujara but knowing Kohli, he will play the same 11 - if we are lucky, we may get Thakur instead of Sharma but even that looks difficult now. We will go in again with inadequate batting and put huge pressure on openers and Pant-Jadeja.

22 minutes ago, Samcric said:

Good news is that Chris Woakes is still not fit. His bowling would have been an upgrade on Curran. 

Possible 11 would be:

1. Burns

2. Hameed

3. Pope/Malan (not sure who)

4. Root

5. Bairstow

6. Butler

7. Moeen

8. Curran

9. Robinson

10. Wood/Overton (Wood plays if fit)

11. Anderson

Ashwin should replace Ishant and Mayank/Vihari should replace Pujara but knowing Kohli, he will play the same 11 - if we are lucky, we may get Thakur instead of Sharma but even that looks difficult now. We will go in again with inadequate batting and put huge pressure on openers and Pant-Jadeja.

if its overcast headingley swings more than any pitch in the WHOLE WORLD. More than christchurch.. if sun shines its flatter than rajkot..so its a very weird pitch.. remember the india win in 2002. Bangar played one of the best opening innings ever played by an indian. Its become a folklore. Then Ganguly Sachin Dravid scored century each in first innings after sun started shining.. hardly anyone mentions that.. exactly for this reason..

5 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Tom Banton has an FC average of 24. Phil Salt 30. Only Ollie Pope is a real talent with 50 average.

Pope plays for Surrey and his home ground is The Oval - by far the most batting friendly ground in England. County stats must be read in conjunction with the conditions. For example, Leach has better FC numbers than most English spinners as his home ground is one of the rare ones in England that is conducive to spin.

But numbers apart, he has a lot of respect with in the English team management and they apparently see him as a successor to Root! So, they are eager to play him and sent him to Royal One day Cup hoping for him to get some form but he bagged a duck. So its a toss up between him and Malan now.

8 minutes ago, neel roy said:

if its overcast headingley swings more than any pitch in the WHOLE WORLD. More than christchurch.. if sun shines its flatter than rajkot..so its a very weird pitch.. remember the india win in 2002. Bangar played one of the best opening innings ever played by an indian. Its become a folklore. Then Ganguly Sachin Dravid scored century each in first innings after sun started shining.. hardly anyone mentions that.. exactly for this reason..

Pitch wise, Headingley has gone quite flat recently (last 2-3 years). Highest batting average amongst English grounds after The Oval. 

Btw that Bangar innings is still the reason that I respect him. He showed great willingness to stay and scored a 200-ball 60 I think. We won that match by an innings!

Forecast is a bit similar to Lords. I would rather go in with Ashwin who can deliver even when its overcast (WTC Final) rather than get stuck with Ishant and bright sunshine. But its a moot point, Kohli will play the same team anyways - will probably not see Ashwin until the 4th test.

Lol England are at full strength. Only missing stokes who dint do much last time apart from the odd innings where he picked some wickets. It was Sam Curran that hurt us last time. We were prepared for chotu. 

Lastly, woakes is seen as some God tier bowler in England. So guess woakes over Curran. 

9 is Robinson

10 wood has a better record compared to Archer in England. 

11 Anderson

Broad is past it. 

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Lol England are at full strength. Only missing stokes who dint do much last time apart from the odd innings where he picked some wickets. It was Sam Curran that hurt us last time. We were prepared for chotu. 

Lastly, woakes is seen as some God tier bowler in England. So guess woakes over Curran. 

9 is Robinson

10 wood has a better record compared to Archer in England. 

11 Anderson

Broad is past it. 

Woakes is god-tier in Eng though crap abroad. Not sure why he didn't play earlier. more clueless stuff from clueless root perhaps.

On 8/18/2021 at 8:45 PM, Ankit_sharma03 said:

No denly or Vince ? Good for us .

I am actually scared of overton, he is similar to Jamieson in some ways and these type of tall trundler trouble the indian batsmen. 

Let's see how much control he has gained in the county 

2 minutes ago, adi B said:

So play ashwin and shardul(for extra batting comfort) and drop shami and jadeja ,sounds OK to me 

Ishant jadeja i guess. Leeds has perfect seam bowling conditions. Question is whether Ashwin + Shardul > Ishant + Jadeja in terms of batting.. jadeja can score 40 plus most days and Ishant 10. Ashwin is always scoring quick 15/20 s and he plays away from his body. Shardul has only played one substantial innings in his 3 tests.. tough decisions to makr

6 minutes ago, neel roy said:

Ishant jadeja i guess. Leeds has perfect seam bowling conditions. Question is whether Ashwin + Shardul > Ishant + Jadeja in terms of batting.. jadeja can score 40 plus most days and Ishant 10. Ashwin is always scoring quick 15/20 s and he plays away from his body. Shardul has only played one substantial innings in his 3 tests.. tough decisions to makr

That's a good breakdown, but we should first look at wickets they offer. My feeling is that A + S (Ashwin, Shardul) will score about 10 runs less than I + J (Ishant, Jaddu). However, this is my breakdown of wkts taken. Ashwin can take 3 wickets min even if not bowled much. Shardul can take as many as Ishant, maybe 1 less. Jaddu on current bowling form cannot take more than 1-2. Overall, I believe that A + S can take a minimum of 1 wkt more than I + J. Hence even if they score a bit less, this combo is better.

1 hour ago, adi B said:

No denly or Vince ? Good for us .

I am actually scared of overton, he is similar to Jamieson in some ways and these type of tall trundler trouble the indian batsmen. 

Let's see how much control he has gained in the county 

Are you serious? Deny is fodder. What the hell are you guys on about. 

Vince and denlt have had plenty of chances. Both fodders. They all average the same in county. Sibley Burns etc. 

On 8/18/2021 at 5:19 AM, Norman said:

Possible England XI at the oval.. 

Tom Banton

Philip Salt

James Vince

Joe Root

Liam Livingstone

Sam Billings

David Willey

Mathew Parkinson

Jimmy Anderson

Ollie Robinson

Saqib Mahmood

I would love to see Poms trot out this group of hacks.  Test would be over in two days and innings win for India.

Not sure if this is worth sharing, but I have 2 tickets for the India vs England 4day Test Match on Saturday 4th September. 

My husband and I can no longer go :( :( 

Its in the super exclusive 1845 Terrace, with all day hospitality (food and drinks) tickets at the Oval. https://www.google.com/search?q=1845+terrace+oval&rlz=1C1GCEA_enGB891GB891&oq=1845+terrace&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i57j0j0i22i30l4j69i60.2942j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8 

They are selling for £549 each, but I just don't want them to go to waste and happy to share for what I bought them for (in a silent auction at work) for £450 total. 

Let me know :)