Manchester Stats

27 minutes ago, Forward Defence said:

Looking at ground records Edgbaston has been the most successful venue for England historically. But in the recent past Old Trafford has been the best for them. There are minor venues like Chester le Street and Cardiff where they have never lost. Old Trafford is statistically the most impregnable English fortress since 1970 atleast.

They lost to Australia in Edgbaston in 2019 & the infamous fortress got breached after some 20 odd years. 

NZ also beat them here in June. 

India had a chance in 2018 but we blew it. 

We have never won in OT Manchester but Australia beat England batting first here in 2019 &  day 1 was almost washed out that time as well. 

8 minutes ago, Lord said:

SKY isnt a Test player. Mayank has huge technical issues

Vihari deserves a chance after Sydney. Shaw too maybe

I am going by Kohli s preference for him as substitute fielder. Also Vihari hasn't set the domestic scene on fire since his Sydney exploits. Wasn't getting selected for Warwickshire in his county stint too

1 hour ago, Lone Wolf said:

He will be good one to have in Australia..  He does extracts good bounce & zip.  He will probably be quicker than Starc on average on those pitches.  I rate him above Archer as he maintains his top speeds for a longer while. 

He will be useless in most parts but not in Australia.  If he knew how to reverse he would be lethal. 

Yea for like 3 overs and then he will get injured by the end of the innings. I do not rate this guy. He may do well in England due to home conditions familiarity and ability to bowl bouncer barrage. But that's about it. 

16 minutes ago, Forward Defence said:

I am going by Kohli s preference for him as substitute fielder. Also Vihari hasn't set the domestic scene on fire since his Sydney exploits. Wasn't getting selected for Warwickshire in his county stint too

As substitute fielders,captain just prefers better fielder,doesnt mean anything else.

What has SKY done in domestics or FC? Atleast Vihari has county experience and has been with the team for longer.Also played practice match and did ok.

1 hour ago, Lone Wolf said:

He will be good one to have in Australia..  He does extracts good bounce & zip.  He will probably be quicker than Starc on average on those pitches.  I rate him above Archer as he maintains his top speeds for a longer while. 

He will be useless in most parts but not in Australia.  If he knew how to reverse he would be lethal. 

But he bowls gun barrel straight  .at least Archer has steep bounce he could be lethal in gabba or Perth  

14 minutes ago, Lord said:

As substitute fielders,captain just prefers better fielder,doesnt mean anything else.

What has SKY done in domestics or FC? Atleast Vihari has county experience and has been with the team for longer.Also played practice match and did ok.

I get your point but Kohli has been known to make a few bold selections now and then. Bumrah in South Africa comes to mind. A lot depends on what is going on in the nets. 

3 hours ago, express bowling said:

Pitch and overhead conditions will be key factors in deciding team composition.

We Should bat first even if we win the toss and conditions favour swing bowling. This is because England has shown that they cannot withstand the pressure of batting in the 4th innings and they invariably crumble.

Don't play semi-fit pacers.

Fit pacers are Bumrah, Umesh and Prasidh. 

Semi-fit pacers are Siraj and Ishant. 

They have to assess Shami's fitness.

We must strengthen our batting. Rahane must be replaced. And we must have batting till 8 in the form of Shardul and Jadeja / Ashwin.

I dont agree.  If conditions are in favor of bowling, why bat first?  

Why not give our gun bowlers the chance to bowl in such conditions without the pressure of a sub-par total put up by our batsmen?  Unleash them on a greentop, and give them a chance to skittle out Root+10.

29 minutes ago, Lord said:

Sky averages 45 in first class. He Is no scurb. 

Labushagne averaged 39 in first class. Averages 60 in test cricket now. 

Doesn't work like that. Some players step up in higher level cricket after getting better exposure to playing alongside quality players and high level coaches. 

7 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Why not give our gun bowlers the chance to bowl in such conditions without the pressure of a sub-par total put up by our batsmen?  Unleash them on a greentop, and give them a chance to skittle out Root+10.

Problem is we just finished bowling last in the previous test. . Unless rat face plays shami and prasidh to keep the team fresh it will be hard for our bowlers to bowl at their optimal level after playing with such ferocious intensity just 3 days prior to Manchester test. 

Edited by Jay
2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Sky averages 45 in first class. He Is no scurb. 

Labushagne averaged 39 in first class. Averages 60 in test cricket now. 

Doesn't work like that. Some players step up in higher level cricket after getting better exposure to playing alongside quality players and high level coaches. 

bhai Indian FC and Australian FC is not same.Random players average 50 in Indian FC.

SKY is mentally strong but doesnt have technique to handle pace/swing bowling.At best he'll be successful in Asia

2 minutes ago, Lord said:

bhai Indian FC and Australian FC is not same.Random players average 50 in Indian FC.

SKY is mentally strong but doesnt have technique to handle pace/swing bowling.At best he'll be successful in Asia

He seemed fine vs pace in odi. He has all the strokes. These players are useful. As long as he doesn't have weakness vs short ball he is fine. 

Edited by Jay
35 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Opinions will obviously be divided on this issue.

But I don't trust our batters to chase even 130 in the 4th innings in matches played in  England, NZ or SA.

Edited by express bowling
1 minute ago, Jay said:

We won't know until he is tried. He was very good vs pace in ipl. 

Sri Lanka pacers In that game were rapid. Infacr better than headless chicken like wood. 

He will be good. 

His issue won't be handling pace but swing

4 hours ago, Gollum said:

Why Steven Smith's 2019 Ashes batting performance is the greatest of all time in a series

Story Image

Not just Kohli, no one in history comes close, that was the GOAT batting performance, what's even more impressive is that he came to that series after serving one year ban when there were murmurs about him not being #1 anymore.

144, 142 Edgbaston

92 concussion Lord's (Labu came to bat in his place for remainder of the test)

<Missed third test due to concussion>

211, 82 Old Trafford

80, 23 Oval

If not for concussion he could have scored 1000+ runs in one *ing series that too away from home!!!!! 

Some say he scored that many only because Anderson got injured in first test. But Smith averages over 100 against Anderson in England, gave him a phainty in 2013 and 2015 Ashes. Probably averages 200 against him if you include his home Ashes feats. 

So funny when some ICFers downplay the significance of Ashwin's dominance over Smith in the Border-Gavaskar series recently. Kept the GOAT on a tight leash and bullied him in 2/3 tests. 

Smith is the GOAT. Also shows how good Ashwin is when you consider how he tamed the great man in the last series!

41 minutes ago, Lord said:

pace in SL yes

Against Archer in that T20 series as well.  Also knows to play square of the wicket & uses late dabs & cuts.  His defence probably isn't too compact but again anybody will be better than Mr VIP.  

I can count on Surya to give us 30 runs in every inns. 

2 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Against Archer in that T20 series as well.  Also knows to play square of the wicket & uses late dabs & cuts.  His defence probably isn't too compact but again anybody will be better than Mr VIP.  

I can count on Surya to give us 30 runs in every inns. 

VIP is not benchmark and in discussion

I'm not sure SKY can handle swing with that technique. Vihari looks a better option as of now

Just now, Lord said:

VIP is not benchmark and in discussion

I'm not sure SKY can handle swing with that technique. Vihari looks a better option as of now

Vihari has good technique but lack of scoring options.  His issue is also similar to Kohli that he plays in the V.  Very much a front foot player.  One of the reasons he failed in County. 

Also suspect against short stuff..