US-FDA rejects Pfizer booster proposal for all

BacktoCricaddict

https://theconversation.com/fda-panel-recommends-limiting-pfizer-booster-shots-to-americans-65-and-older-and-those-at-high-risk-of-severe-covid-19-168224?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=bylinetwitterbutton

The key scientific advisory council of the Food and Drug Administration has voted to deny use of a “booster” shot of Pfizer’s mRNA vaccine to the general public – a move that will likely disappoint some public health experts pushing for a third dose to help slow the spread of COVID-19.

In a 16-2 vote on Sept. 17, 2021, an independent committee of physicians, scientists and public health experts recommended against full use of the third dose of the vaccine, which now goes by the brand name “Comirnaty.” However, the panel did recommend the shot for Americans age 65 and older or those at high risk for severe COVID-19. In recommending against the shot for the general public, the committee cited reasons such as lack of sufficient safety data in younger age groups as well as indications that the initial doses still seem to be providing robust protection against severe illness leading to hospitalization and death. The panel also agreed in a poll – but not a formal vote – that boosters would be beneficial for certain populations, such as health care workers and others at high risk for occupational exposure.

Although the vote is not binding, it is likely that it will form the basis of a formal FDA recommendation.

saw something in headlines regarding "low dose pfizer vaccine" for children in 5-11 age group.

Cynic in me starts connecting dots between Big Pharma touting "low dose" and "booster shots" simultaneously - feels a lot like millenial MBAs trying to shoehorn the subscription sales model into life-saving vaccines.  Hitherto, vaccines were usually take it and forget it - either lifetime or decade etc like tetanus - and thats on the shorter end of the efficacy spectrum.  Why are we suddenly into annual flu 'vaccines' mandated for children in the US?  

I mean, at the end of the day I don't have the subject matter expertise and will obviously be inclined to be guided by pediatricians and doctors, especially when it comes to children's health and safety.  But it isn't unreasonable to point out  that there are believability issues with a proven repeat offender like Big Pharma in the US.

On 9/20/2021 at 9:35 AM, sandeep said:

Hitherto, vaccines were usually take it and forget it - either lifetime or decade etc like tetanus - and thats on the shorter end of the efficacy spectrum.  Why are we suddenly into annual flu 'vaccines' mandated for children in the US?  

Nothing sinister here.  There is a perfectly good explanation for this:

Infections that are caused by germs with low mutation rates or ones that trigger long-term memory in our body (measles, mumps, chickenpox) also require only a single once-in-your-lifetime vaccination.  I got measles, mumps and chickenpox when I was a kid.  My body has a life-long memory of them.  They also have low mutation rates. Thus, someone who gets vaccinated against these infections will also have a long-term memory of them.

Infections that are caused by viruses such as the flu virus or the myriad coronaviruses that cause common colds don't elicit long-term memories.  These viruses also tend to have higher mutation rates.  I've caught a cold or flu pretty much every year (when I didn't used to get regular vaccinations for the latter).  So, you need annual help with them.  The flu vaccines are reformulated every year based on intense, advanced research (field and computational) on which strains are most likely to occur in a given year.  There are two viral components H and N.  There are 18 versions of H and 11 versions of N. 

So, if in a given year, it is projected that H1N5, H1N1 and H2N18 are the likely to be the most prevalent, these particular strains are cultured in the lab, killed and used as vaccine. Sometimes, they don't get it right so flu vaccine effectiveness isn't as good that year.  

Here's a good (albeit old) article about flu vaccine attitudes in America vs other countries:

https://www.cnn.com/2013/01/17/health/flu-vaccine-policy/index.html

If someone wants to approach this with conspiratorial "follow the money" and "control everyone" lenses, they are welcome, but the biological explanation is simple, elegant, plausible, proven, and worthy of Occam's razor.

Edited by BacktoCricaddict

7 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Infections that are caused by germs with low mutation rates or ones that trigger long-term memory in our body (measles, mumps, chickenpox) also require only a single once-in-your-lifetime vaccination.  I got measles, mumps and chickenpox when I was a kid.  My body has a life-long memory of them.  They also have low mutation rates. Thus, someone who gets vaccinated against these infections will also have a long-term memory of them.

Infections that are caused by viruses such as the flu virus or the myriad coronaviruses that cause common colds don't elicit long-term memories.  These viruses also tend to have higher mutation rates.  I've caught a cold or flu pretty much every year (when I didn't used to get regular vaccinations for the latter).  So, you need annual help with them.  The flu vaccines are reformulated every year based on intense, advanced research (field and computational) on which strains are most likely to occur in a given year.  There are two viral components H and N.  There are 18 versions of H and 11 versions of N. 

So, if in a given year, it is projected that H1N5, H1N1 and H2N18 are the likely to be the most prevalent, these particular strains are cultured in the lab, killed and used as vaccine. Sometimes, they don't get it right so flu vaccine effectiveness isn't as good that year.  

Here's a good (albeit old) article about flu vaccine attitudes in America vs other countries:

If someone wants to approach this with conspiratorial "follow the money" and "control everyone" lenses, they are welcome, but the biological explanation is simple, elegant, plausible, proven, and worthy of Occam's razor.

Thanks for taking the time to break it down.  

14 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Plus the dominant flu for a season dies out and a new strain becomes dominant next year. Hence the change in flu shots every year which is a guess work at best.

Agreed thatthere is nothing sinister here. It is scientist who are making decisions based on data available.

2 hours ago, ash said:

@BacktoCricaddictIs this still the original formula or has it been updated with the delta strain? Booster shots should ideally address the delta variant right?

I've been trying to dig this information for a while now, especially for the mRNA vaccines (Moderna and Pfizer), but haven't got an answer yet.  Ideally they should.

But the problem may be because of regulatory requirements.  So, let's say they create a new mRNA sequence that represents the delta variant - will they have to go through a whole Phase I, II, III trial because it is a new sequence?  I don't know the answer to that. 

8 hours ago, sandeep said:

Thanks for taking the time to break it down.  

You're welcome, bhai.  This is not to absolve pharma companies of their ethical transgressions (mainly price-gouging, overaggressive marketing and ignoring treatments for rare diseases) in other situations.  But, I try to consider things on a case-by-case basis and invoke those explanations only if the biological explanation is unsatisfactory.  

A solid, nuanced take on living with Covid19 - the cold of the future.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2021/09/post-vaccination-covid/620140/

COVID-19’s march toward diminution won’t be linear or uniform. Immune cells forget; viruses shape-shift; our vaccines will need touch-ups or boosts. Behavioral slipups—vaccine refusals, spotty masking during outbreaks—will create cracks for the pathogen to wriggle through. But on a population level, our future could look quite good. Most people will end up getting COVID-19 in their lifetime. In most cases, it won’t be so bad. Eventually, silent or mild infections will feel less catastrophic, because many of us will have confidence that they are unlikely to progress. Outbreaks might be smaller and slower-spreading, and breakthroughs will no longer be headline-making news. Positive test results, in the absence of symptoms, could generally be shrugged off, and infection will no longer feel quite so synonymous with disease. Our bodies will come to see the virus as familiar—not necessarily a welcome guest, but not quite the intruder it was before.

On 9/23/2021 at 6:23 AM, BacktoCricaddict said:

If someone wants to approach this with conspiratorial "follow the money" and "control everyone" lenses, they are welcome,

These idiots will give the same reasons for why the sky is blue and the grass is green :laugh:

600 million vaccinated Indians on one side. The rejects of society on the other.