Wow.. How amazing is this??

bharathh

42 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Think Alireza is destined to be a world champ, reminds me of young Anand and not just the speed. GM Sokolov said the same much before his meteoric rise. https://www.chessbase.in/news/Sokolov-on-Iran-chess 

French federation will take good care of him unlike the Iranians. 

Esipenko is another big threat, but unclear about status of Russian chess prospects after Putin's madness, they are facing bans in most tournaments and hence may never fulfil their potential. Already because of COVID many youngsters were denied valuable game time (during formative years when we see max rating jumps, increase in chess understanding etc.) much to the delight of the Carlsen generation. Then there is the German Keymer (trained under Anand because of the Hans-Walter Schmitt connection), couple of strong Uzbeks and American kids. Rest of the contenders are our boys, as per Kramnik 4-5 of them have WC potential. So expecting great things even if Alireza is a hindrance for a few years. 

good to hear, bro.

1 hour ago, Mariyam said:

Who is the person on the left?

GM Sandipan Chanda from Kolkata. Not a strong GM but very well regarded as coach/trainer. He assisted Anand in a couple of world championship matches. Few years ago he would accompany Anand to almost every tournament in Europe/USA, him and a couple of Polish guys (Wojtaszek, Gajewski) as seconds....most top players have a team of seconds to assist their prep. Pays well the role of second, much more than what these 2500-2600 GMs could hope to earn as prize money or via teaching/commentating. Also some upcoming players take this role to improve their game (imbibe qualities/knowledge from the best, expand opening repertoire, training methods etc), for instance Wojtaszek was a lowly 2600 GM when he joined Anand's team, later became top 10 player. 14th World Champion Kramnik was Kasparov's second in the 1995 world title match against Anand, went on to take the crown from Kasparov in 2000, probably the most famous example. 

From St Louis I think, same guy Sandipan Chanda

Vishy's December #02 - Inspiration, teammate, second! - ChessBase India

On 6/13/2022 at 2:42 PM, Gollum said:

GM Sandipan Chanda from Kolkata. Not a strong GM but very well regarded as coach/trainer. He assisted Anand in a couple of world championship matches. Few years ago he would accompany Anand to almost every tournament in Europe/USA, him and a couple of Polish guys (Wojtaszek, Gajewski) as seconds....most top players have a team of seconds to assist their prep. Pays well the role of second, much more than what these 2500-2600 GMs could hope to earn as prize money or via teaching/commentating. Also some upcoming players take this role to improve their game (imbibe qualities/knowledge from the best, expand opening repertoire, training methods etc), for instance Wojtaszek was a lowly 2600 GM when he joined Anand's team, later became top 10 player. 14th World Champion Kramnik was Kasparov's second in the 1995 world title match against Anand, went on to take the crown from Kasparov in 2000, probably the most famous example. 

From St Louis I think, same guy Sandipan Chanda

Vishy's December #02 - Inspiration, teammate, second! - ChessBase India

we need valuable supporting players like him; much like how ian harvey was not a gun player, but played an effective supporting role.

30 minutes ago, Vijy said:

we need valuable supporting players like him; much like how ian harvey was not a gun player, but played an effective supporting role.

Plenty, now we are exporting.

GM Adhiban Baskaran with the Georgian women's team
null

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

Plenty, now we are exporting.

GM Adhiban Baskaran with the Georgian women's team
null

bloody hell. can't we keep them at home? I would rather see them being used for Indian chess' own betterment.

1 hour ago, Vijy said:

bloody hell. can't we keep them at home? I would rather see them being used for Indian chess' own betterment.

Ham log import bhi karte hai. Former challenger GM Gelfand in Chennai right now running a training camp for Olympiad hopefuls. Kramnik too was here last year.

Chess is truly global now, lots of intermingling of nationalities. Moreover as long as our players get the best financial opportunities, good for them, if some foreign federation can ensure a living for one of our own, good for everybody involved. Tough to make a living with chess for most 2600s and all 2500s....most such GMs in USA, Europe are forced to work elsewhere to supplement their income. Just like all other sports, as long as you are in the elite you'll be well taken care of. Nahi toh dikkat hai. This applies to even rich sports like tennis, golf. 

22 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Ham log import bhi karte hai. Former challenger GM Gelfand in Chennai right now running a training camp for Olympiad hopefuls. Kramnik too was here last year.

Chess is truly global now, lots of intermingling of nationalities. Moreover as long as our players get the best financial opportunities, good for them, if some foreign federation can ensure a living for one of our own, good for everybody involved. Tough to make a living with chess for most 2600s and all 2500s....most such GMs in USA, Europe are forced to work elsewhere to supplement their income. Just like all other sports, as long as you are in the elite you'll be well taken care of. Nahi toh dikkat hai. This applies to even rich sports like tennis, golf. 

I guess you are right, but I still find it irksome when good talent from Ind get poached abroad - all too common in various fields ranging from sports to sci/tech. I understand, of course, this is a 2-way street and there have been some good foreign coaches in various sports (e.g., hockey).

On 8/6/2022 at 6:53 PM, Vickydev said:

Gukesh beating Fabiano Caruana today in the Olympiad. He is 8/8 on the top table. Sensational talent

I was in Chennai for work and took a day off and visited the Olympiad venue at Mahabalipuram.

It was crazy. Never knew that our chess players were such celebrities. After their games, Prag and Roshan/Raunak were mobbed by the people present. So much so that the Indian team were always walking with a security detail.

I managed to get selfies/autographs with/from Vishy, Judit Polgar, Tania, Vantika, and the Polish team. 

Played a few games at the recreation hall. Against people of various nationalities and many kids. Needless to say, I lot most of the games.

Bought a few chess books too. Hope to read them over the next few years. :embarassed:

Never thought I'd follow/enjoy chess so much.

Wish I'd planned my trip better and could spend more time at the venue. :(( 

4 hours ago, Mariyam said:

I was in Chennai for work and took a day off and visited the Olympiad venue at Mahabalipuram.

It was crazy. Never knew that our chess players were such celebrities. After their games, Prag and Roshan/Raunak were mobbed by the people present. So much so that the Indian team were always walking with a security detail.

I managed to get selfies/autographs with/from Vishy, Judit Polgar, Tania, Vantika, and the Polish team. 

Played a few games at the recreation hall. Against people of various nationalities and many kids. Needless to say, I lot most of the games.

Bought a few chess books too. Hope to read them over the next few years. :embarassed:

Never thought I'd follow/enjoy chess so much.

Wish I'd planned my trip better and could spend more time at the venue. :(( 

Lucky you, it seemed a great event from the outside. Lots of interest over SM, those chess streamers landing in town and covering the games. 

And yeah the Indian boys have absolutely amazing support. All of them are special but Gukesh was the standout I feel. Pragg and Raunak had some great matches as well

I guess you might have found this first hand but everyone has been raving about them. And they deserved it, should have beaten the Uzbeks and then who knows.. But the Uzbeks are quite a young team as well. What a surprise winner!! 

19 hours ago, Vickydev said:

Lucky you, it seemed a great event from the outside. Lots of interest over SM, those chess streamers landing in town and covering the games. 

And yeah the Indian boys have absolutely amazing support. All of them are special but Gukesh was the standout I feel. Pragg and Raunak had some great matches as well

I guess you might have found this first hand but everyone has been raving about them. And they deserved it, should have beaten the Uzbeks and then who knows.. But the Uzbeks are quite a young team as well. What a surprise winner!! 

The streamers stole the show. Many of them were playing and the others, well, just streaming from the venue. It was impossible to get to them because of the sea of humanity that followed them everywhere. It was easier for me to chat up (very briefly) Judit Polgr and Vishy than get close to the Chessbase team.

But then again, I just spent a day there. There were many people who had travelled from different parts of the world and stayed there for the duration of the Olympiad. Some South American students, an American couple. And of course many fans from India.

https://www.republicworld.com/sports-news/other-sports/first-erigaisi-now-indias-gukesh-stuns-world-champion-magnus-carlsen-at-aimchess-rapid-articleshow.html

I know nothing about chess (can barely recall the moves of each piece), but I know a good story when I see one!

The new generation of chess players from India are making a name for themselves with their splendid performances in several chess events. Hours after Indian Grandmaster Arjun Erigaisi stunned five-time World Champion Magnus Carlsen on Sunday, it was the turn of 16-year-old D Gukesh to hog the spotlight at the Aimchess Rapid online event. The Indian youngster not only stunned the world champion but also etched his name in history. 

D Gukesh breaks Indian chess prodigy's record

D Gukesh defeated Magnus Carlsen to become the youngest-ever player to beat the Norwegian during his reign as a World Champion. Gukesh is currently 16 years, 4 months and 20 days of age. According to a chessbase.com report, the record was previously held by Indian chess prodigy R Praggnanandhaa who had defeated Carlsen in round 8 of the Airthings Masters. Praggnanandhaa was only 16 years, 6 months and 10 days old when he defeated Magnus Carlsen. The Aimchess Rapid tournament is part of the Meltwater Champions Tour and features 16 players, including five from India.

Edited by Gollum