Extreme Poverty on a decline ?

ravishingravi

9 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

plenty of Fake BPL card holders everywhere... Not surprising. 

Just looking at these numbers government should investigate the franchisee running this scheme. How come 80 cr people can be beneficiary of scheme which meant to be for needy people.

If you ignore UP, Bihar, Orissa, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Rajasthan, MP, West Bengal, India will be a pretty decent country by any standard. But these states make up at least 60 % or more of India's population and probably use up most of tax payers money with less contribution to GDP and therefore dragging the whole country down.

Edited by kubrickian

@Ethos

I think what you are talking about is documented in multi dimensional poverty.

In this scale income is just one metric. Education, health and access to utilies like water and electricity are other criteria.

In 2015-2016 niti ayog estimated this to be around 27 to 28% poor.

5 minutes ago, Ethos said:

Of course, multi-dimensional it is given how India is at $1800 is it per capita? A whole host of things wrong about the place. If you live here wouldnt be surprised in the least - no documentation required.

Just common sense which perceptibly is not so commonplace!

Problem is you cant quantify common sense...

The $1800 , where does that figure come from?

5 hours ago, Ethos said:

Is this a right metric to measure anything at all - I mean what is extreme poverty anyways?

Funny story - I had poha and thumbs up and a big cup of tea today in the morning and handed over a 200 rupee note. The fellow gives rs 30 something back. Is that extreme poverty - difficult to know :). Is that greed that I will keep giving him money for no reason or is that a sheer case of matimandgiri?

Should we address the other side of the equation and derive some insights that have the potential to aide policy?

Like improving the education quotient maybe?

What is reducing extreme poverty tantamount to not so that someone becomes happy that the metric has gone down, feels great for their fellow citizens or worse - feels so great about himself the humankind cant stand it?

Shammi Kapoor in Brahmachari was shy of funds to run the charity home and I am 100% sure make a few rs for himself too, was not a happy man and had to send the kids away.

Well it must have been a damn good Poha place. The Thela that I used to buy Poha from, right next to my work place was, Rs. 20 and catering to white collared office employees.