Awara (1951) v Shree 420 (1955)

zen

Awara v Shree 420  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the better film?

2. 2. Which is your favorite film?

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 07/01/2024 at 01:00 AM

Awara (1951) v Shree 420 (1955) 

While the tone of both films is different, they are connected by one of Bollywood's most popular characters - Raju. These films got the formula of mixing masala with quality spot on, creating the Bollywood flavor esp. of its Golden Age (1950-1985) that most of us love. 

The comparison here is from two angles: 

• Better film -> which is a better film when looked it at from the perspective of storytelling, direction, cinematography, score, acting, etc. 
  • Favorite film -> which is your favorite when looked at from the perspective of how the film connects with you, engagement, rewatchability, etc. 

I have not seen these two films recently but based on the impression of my last viewing:

Better film: Awara. It has a relatively more serious theme. Once Raju grows up, the film is superb. Has memorable characters in Judge Raghunath & Jagga. Great mix of arty and masala elements. 

Favorite film: Shree 420. Gets rid of the "growing up" part. The comedy is great (the villain's car number plate is 840 i.e. 420*2). 

Awara is more classical and has repeat value as you age. Shree420 is more wholesome entertainment. Awara is the beginning of modern Indian cinema . We turned more commercial in the 60s, the golden period ends around  1970. So Awara  is a text book for Indian cinema. Sad the RajKapoor went downhill from Sangam onwards, showmanship ka bhoot jo uspe sawaar tha. I watched Awara recently and Shree420 some 20 yrs ago, so I might be a little skewed 

11 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

actually i hve always liked guru dutt more - saheb biwi ghulam , pyaasa, kagaaz ke phool ill prefer all of them over raj kapoor films 

My kind of films. RK started out great , but Gurudutt perfected his art.

Pyaasa, though self-indulgent, has great cinematic experience in songs, editing and great cinematography from a Kannadiga -  V K Murthy, a regular for his movies.

Music and lyrics into cinema, one has to learn from Pyaasa. Sahir Ludhianvi and SD Burman. Wikipedia says Sar jo Tera chak raye is a composed by RD Burman, but that is some RDB fans editing Wikipedia on whims. SDB baap hota hain aur Beta beta hota hain. 

1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

Sad the RajKapoor went downhill from Sangam onwards, showmanship ka bhoot jo uspe sawaar 

Many folks rate his post Sangam films like Mera Naan Joker, Bobby, etc. highly 

Edited by zen

2 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Shree 420 has far superior music!

Both films have good music. Awara's music has a touch of 40s (Shamshad Begum lends her voice to a song too). Below a Lata that is yet to peak:

My favorite song from the two films is probably "Awara Hoon", followed by “Ramaya Vastayaiya”.

PS talking about song picturisation, Awara has this nice dream sequence - Link (There is a tune in it which is used in Yash Chopra films too iirc) ... I like RK's acting in the "Ichak dana bichak dana" song in Shree 420 (usually cracks me up)! 

Edited by zen

2 hours ago, Mariyam said:

You have missed out the best from Guru Dutt: Pyaasa 

Evil brothers scheming against Guru Dutt almost has that Lalita Pawar's saas-bahu angle to it (and the film has Mehmood play Lalita Pawar) ... Guru Dutt is a male cinderella with poem slippers. He finds solace in princess charming on streets, while lecturing on the unwarranted hypocrisy of just about everyone ... No wonder he was Pyaasa! 

Edited by zen

since the OP's question is on awaara vs shree 420, I will say that both my fav and the more "great" film of the duo is "awaara". it's significance for indian cinema cannot be underrated, and moreover it is an enjoyable film too.

4 hours ago, Vijy said:

since the OP's question is on awaara vs shree 420, I will say that both my fav and the more "great" film of the duo is "awaara". it's significance for indian cinema cannot be underrated, and moreover it is an enjoyable film too.

Got to pick one! The topic is about making the "difficult" choice. 

18 hours ago, zen said:

Evil brothers scheming against Guru Dutt almost has that Lalita Pawar's saas-bahu angle to it (and the film has Mehmood play Lalita Pawar) ... Guru Dutt is a male cinderella with poem slippers. He finds solace in princess charming on streets, while lecturing on the unwarranted hypocrisy of just about everyone ... No wonder he was Pyaasa! 

Good for nothing vagabond, turns thief , traps a rich girl and fakes a Rona dhona reform tale, confused and dazed. No wonder he was Awara (any movie can be trashed if you want to)

10 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Good for nothing vagabond, turns thief , traps a rich girl and fakes a Rona dhona reform tale, confused and dazed. No wonder he was Awara (any movie can be trashed if you want to)

We are talking about masala films here (also there is no trapping a rich girl if you have actually seen the film recently) ... I have not even thrashed Pyaasa yet, which I think I should :hmmm:

2 minutes ago, zen said:

We are talking about masala films here (also there is no trapping a rich girl if you have actually seen the film recently) ... I have not even thrashed Pyaasa yet, which I think I should :hmmm:

you should trash DDLJ or KKHH from the 90s. more fun doing so for them