GM Illya Smirin fired from commentary job for saying, “Chess is not for women” !!!

velu

11 hours ago, velu said:

Its the tenor that is demeaning. Probably because his primary language is not English. The message is not untrue, nor is it demeaning.

He's saying that the women have women grand master norms and not regular grand master title.

In academics, in India, generally women outscore men in all competitive exams/ board exams across fields. Male dominance in chess will be challenged when the game reaches higher levels of popularity among women. I guess give it a generation or two. Women will be fighting men for the world championship.

22 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Its the tenor that is demeaning. Probably because his primary language is not English. The message is not untrue, nor is it demeaning.

He's saying that the women have women grand master norms and not regular grand master title.

In academics, in India, generally women outscore men in all competitive exams/ board exams across fields. Male dominance in chess will be challenged when the game reaches higher levels of popularity among women. I guess give it a generation or two. Women will be fighting men for the world championship.

Meh tired of hearing women WILL do this women WILL do that.

1 hour ago, Mariyam said:

so why are women not competing in western countries ? 

my opinion is it’s probably computations for second , left to right lobe neuron connectivity etc something merely physiological and development based. For instance men are better in three dimensional perception and women are better in linguistics and vocalization. It’s simple physiological ability related, nothing to be belittled or feel marginalized by. Women tennis players are great for instance they don’t have to compete with men to prove it, it’s unfair. 

@Mariyam"In academics, in India, generally women outscore men in all competitive exams/ board exams across fields. "

In board exams yes but not in competitive exams such as IIT, CAT etc.

Highest rated woman chess player ever Judit Polgar (2735), peak rank#8, defeated all world champions of her time atleast once.

Smirin knows there is no men's section in chess, there is women's section (only for women), there is open section (open for all). I could not understand why he is talking what he is talking, does he dread the prospect of losing to a woman or gets distracted while playing against women(if yes, that's his problem)? So he wants a men's section instead of open section? 

Edited by randomGuy

On 10/1/2022 at 12:54 AM, Vilander said:

so why are women not competing in western countries ? 

my opinion is it’s probably computations for second , left to right lobe neuron connectivity etc something merely physiological and development based. For instance men are better in three dimensional perception and women are better in linguistics and vocalization. It’s simple physiological ability related, nothing to be belittled or feel marginalized by. Women tennis players are great for instance they don’t have to compete with men to prove it, it’s unfair. 

Would 3D perception be that much of a physiological advantage, given the game is practically a 2D game and doesn't require much of spatial arrangement related intelligence?

On 10/1/2022 at 7:51 AM, randomGuy said:

@Mariyam"In academics, in India, generally women outscore men in all competitive exams/ board exams across fields. "

In board exams yes but not in competitive exams such as IIT, CAT etc.

Highest rated woman chess player ever Judit Polgar (2735), peak rank#8, defeated all world champions of her time atleast once.

Smirin knows there is no men's section in chess, there is women's section (only for women), there is open section (open for all). I could not understand why he is talking what he is talking, does he dread the prospect of losing to a woman or gets distracted while playing against women(if yes, that's his problem)? So he wants a men's section instead of open section? 

Women, as of late, have done better in Medical entrance tests, the IAS, CLAT. And of course, the regular exams once you enter college.

Maybe there is a trend re: kind of tests that women tend to do better at vis avis men. Something on the lines of what @Vilander mentioned earlier.

I think doing better in exams is simply down to motivation. Women, in general, are more motivated to do well academically. 

11 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Women, as of late, have done better in Medical entrance tests, the IAS, CLAT. And of course, the regular exams once you enter college.

Maybe there is a trend re: kind of tests that women tend to do better at vis avis men. Something on the lines of what @Vilander mentioned earlier.

I think doing better in exams is simply down to motivation. Women, in general, are more motivated to do well academically. 

Most men will be outsmarted/outscored by women on top in any field. But it is also true that men on top in that very field are invariably found to be better than women on top. Be it chess\maths\innovations etc., IIT \CAT type written exams but when there's subjective topics involved , and interviews involved then women can have rank#1, such as in IAS ....

15 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Would 3D perception be that much of a physiological advantage, given the game is practically a 2D game and doesn't require much of spatial arrangement related intelligence?

It could be number of advance moves that a man can visualise in a chess board vs what a woman can think ahead. Because you gotta visualize the moves in 3d. Like a Stone Age mammoth hunts, while women are better at language as they spoke and painted, foraged near the cave. Evolved for different abilities.