Is England's declaration smart or suicidal?

sage

17 members have voted

1. 1. ?

23 hours ago, Tattieboy said:

Why are some ICFers posting on the BBC with English names ? We know who you are :phehe:

To be fair , it was a questionable decision at the time. Even at tea time yesterday, the 'stanis looked favourites to chase it down. 

But then of course , Fortune smiled on Engerlund at a most opportune time and Jimmy started hooping it round corners like peak Waqar. All a happy coincidence I'm sure....

1 hour ago, Grand_Design said:

To be fair , it was a questionable decision at the time. Even at tea time yesterday, the 'stanis looked favourites to chase it down. 

But then of course , Fortune smiled on Engerlund at a most opportune time and Jimmy started hooping it round corners like peak Waqar. All a happy coincidence I'm sure....

It was a questionable decision only to those who have been programmed to think cricket should be played one way . Once all the doubters really understand Stokes means what he says and the England team don't play for a draw and are willing to be defeated in able to win . I understand that is a concept totally alien to Indians but just forget them being cricketers but now entertainers . Whilst Indians think WTC WTC WTC England team and supporters don't give it a second thought 

It was a perfect declaration...  Lol at thinking 4 sessions were available...  Ben Stokes knew bad light will come into play on both day 4 & 5 when Pak batted...  While the buffer he needed was indeed extremely tight but there was a buffer.  74 runs was the margin in the end. 

He has tight bowlers in Anderson & Robinson too if things get too close. 

It was also about dangling the carrot... It was impossible to pick wickets when batters were defending as Stokes himself said. 

Perfection is the only word on how things went. 

2 hours ago, Tattieboy said:

It was a questionable decision only to those who have been programmed to think cricket should be played one way . Once all the doubters really understand Stokes means what he says and the England team don't play for a draw and are willing to be defeated in able to win . I understand that is a concept totally alien to Indians but just forget them being cricketers but now entertainers . Whilst Indians think WTC WTC WTC England team and supporters don't give it a second thought 

That is bit too rich coming from England fan. England has been the most conservative team among all teams. Stokes in not even 10 test old as a captain. Let him tour India and Australia and get wiped out 5-0 and 4-0 and still go for wins then we will talk.

Edited by putrevus
1 hour ago, putrevus said:

That is bit too rich coming from England fan. England has been the most conservative team among all teams. Stokes in not even 10 test old as a captain. Let him tour India and Australia and get wiped out 5-0 and 4-0 and still go for wins then we will talk.

" England fan " :hysterical:

I am a cricket fan , you are an Indian fan,  there is a huge difference . 

Jealousy is a bad thing , Jealous that England have a Managing Director, Coach , Captain and players all going in the same direction , a direction that India would never take . Wether it works or not in the long term is not the point it's youu and others are sh*t scared it does work :hysterical:

1 hour ago, Tattieboy said:

" England fan " :hysterical:

I am a cricket fan , you are an Indian fan,  there is a huge difference . 

Jealousy is a bad thing , Jealous that England have a Managing Director, Coach , Captain and players all going in the same direction , a direction that India would never take . Wether it works or not in the long term is not the point it's youu and others are sh*t scared it does work :hysterical:

I am not jealous at all. I am stating facts, I don't care if you are not England fan or not. India is just fine and will be just fine. No need to ape England in anything.

8 hours ago, Tattieboy said:

Eng really haven't been put in a position where they can be defeated by their "approach" & overcome the fear of losing by playing safe. Which is to say that nearly all of their recent wins, probably with the exception of this game, were from a position of weakness - almost all of their chases in Eng were when NZ/Ind were expected to win. Ok may "expected" would be slightly over the top but Eng weren't favorites in any of them, so they have everything to gain in there besides playing defensively is not their forte anymore!

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/india-tour-of-england-2021-2022-1239527/england-vs-india-2nd-test-1239544/full-scorecard

Indians really don't give too hoots to a one off test on a "neutral" venue where NZ didn't even play a spinner! Test series wins are far more precious & yes that's why the last test this year hurt so much, though everyone knows we won the actual series 2-1 last year :cantstop:

6 minutes ago, Chakdephatte said:

That was the dumbest declaration of all time, luckily won the match. And now this needless declaration and follow on against New Zealand costed them the match.

Especially when your lead bowlers are 40 and 36. This follow on was unnecessary "aggression". There is no dishonor in not enforcing the follow on. England got carried away with their recent successes and probably thought of challenging themselves to win Inna follow on situation as well. A challenge they could have skipped comfortably. 

5 hours ago, Chakdephatte said:

That was the dumbest declaration of all time, luckily won the match. And now this needless declaration and follow on against New Zealand costed them the match.

Well we got two entertaining matches because of these reckless declarations so

5 hours ago, nevada said:

Especially when your lead bowlers are 40 and 36. This follow on was unnecessary "aggression". There is no dishonor in not enforcing the follow on. England got carried away with their recent successes and probably thought of challenging themselves to win Inna follow on situation as well. A challenge they could have skipped comfortably. 

How will you improve if you never challenge yourself. Rolling 

15 hours ago, Chakdephatte said:

it was an alright declaration; could have won 2nd test - very fine margins here

On 12/4/2022 at 5:26 PM, Laaloo said:

This one was atrocious especially with rain predicted 

mofo setting a 617 target. This game along with bowling Suresh Raina in South Africa so they would declare was the beginning of the downfall of thalas test captaincy 

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/india-tour-of-new-zealand-2008-09-366616/new-zealand-vs-india-3rd-test-366629/full-scorecard

But he is the greatest captain according to many people here. 617 target when facing one of the weakest NZ teams.

17 hours ago, Chakdephatte said:

Another inexplicable declaration. What was the need when Root was batting so well and with 3 full days remaining?

The need was to guarantee a result. Due to rain forecast, they tried to speed up things to make up for time that would be lost to rain. By not being afraid of losing, England have gained my respect. They were beaten, but not disgraced in an even contest.