Is T20 franchise cricket even that popular?

I'm asking the question because outside the IPL and BBL some of the other leagues seems to have very few spectators.  Go and look at footage or photos from SA20, PSL, hardly anyone is in the stands.  Also I see Shakib has blasted the BPL as being basically a joke.

I personally don't watch any franchise cricket.  I find it garish and uncouth.  Those of you who do what is your verdict?  What is the standard of cricket like?  How popular are the leagues you watch?

If T20 is the future of cricket then it's not a rosy one in my opinion.

1 hour ago, maggot_brain said:

I'm asking the question because outside the IPL and BBL some of the other leagues seems to have very few spectators.  Go and look at footage or photos from SA20, PSL, hardly anyone is in the stands.  Also I see Shakib has blasted the BPL as being basically a joke.

I personally don't watch any franchise cricket.  I find it garish and uncouth.  Those of you who do what is your verdict?  What is the standard of cricket like?  How popular are the leagues you watch?

If T20 is the future of cricket then it's not a rosy one in my opinion.

agree that T20 is the dumbed down version of the game.  But the short format is also an enjoyable one.  

Challenge is to keep T20 as a 'gateway drug' to the longer format cricket.  And prevent it from taking over and dominating the cricket calendar.  Problem is greed.

Cricket has been an ' international' sport for decades with domestic first class setups existing to create international standard players, not for making money or fan bases. In the space of 20 years how do cricket boards in countries excluding BCCI, assume people will start having connections with new franchises with same players selling themselves for money featuring in all? Football as a club sport works as these clubs have been in existence since 1800s and their foundations have rich history behind them through which the traditional fans resonate. You cant expect cricket fans to suddenly become die hard fans of a club- ( excluding dumb RCB or CSK fans, who are fanatics not because of the club but because of player awe)

4 hours ago, LordPrabhzy said:

Cricket has been an ' international' sport for decades with domestic first class setups existing to create international standard players, not for making money or fan bases. In the space of 20 years how do cricket boards in countries excluding BCCI, assume people will start having connections with new franchises with same players selling themselves for money featuring in all? Football as a club sport works as these clubs have been in existence since 1800s and their foundations have rich history behind them through which the traditional fans resonate. You cant expect cricket fans to suddenly become die hard fans of a club- ( excluding dumb RCB or CSK fans, who are fanatics not because of the club but because of player awe)

Yes this has been mentioned before where it's the opposite situation to football.  Football fans' primary affiliation is to their club (Man U, Barca etc) and this is the team they spend most time following.  Cricket's primary appeal is international matches.||

There's been a rush to set up all these T20 franchises as there's a lot of money in it.  Go on Cricinfo now and 90% of the matches in the top bar are franchise cricket.  Maybe it's a sign of the times?  Young players in the past wanted to play test cricket, now they all want an IPL contract.

The issue isnt just the international background of cricket vs the club culture of football. Issue is also the lack of identity and no brand history. Even in one league..players are changed every three years. There is no association. Then same players play in other countries. Cricket has too few players to sustain so many leagues. One league with a stable player base might be the future. But I care less about all these pyjama leagues. I like t20 but international t20.