Pant potentially out for 1-2 years

zen

1 hour ago, sandeep said:

I would love for this to turn out to be true.  And yes, of course the possibility of this scenario is on the table.  Just not very high probability in my expectation.

:) the run chase in Brisbane showed India win percentage at 2%. So hope he makes the low probability high.. I dont have high hopes from our top order batsmen but I do have high hopes from our top doctors..and when the subject is Pant.. all bets are off.. isnt it..

2 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

He had surgery for ACL, PCL, MCL  as all 3 ligamens were torn. I understand all 3 are necessary for a stable posture.  We used to make fun of his balance when he played shots at the start of his career. He would often lose balance and fall down.  Thsoe half balanced  shots can put more stress.

modern surgery has come a long way.his ligaments will be as good a new.the problem is his long recovery time.he will not play this year and he may start practcing a few months into next year but he might have to start from scratch,he wont be ready for ranjis either.

3 hours ago, SRT100 said:

Agree.

Its just being so ignorant. Some posters are equating this with other injuries and how other cricketers have comeback from a hamstring injury or a back injury and Pant will be OK. No he wont, its ignorant to think otherwise.

An ACL is arguably the worst kind of injury for a sportsman to have. Its automatically a year off, even those that have LARS surgery where the comeback is as short as 4-6 months there is still a massive risk.

The point you highlighted is true, wicket keeping is unique and when posters wake up an realize that an ACL operation on a knee is the likely death of a wicket keeper's career the better.

The other point you mentioned is also true, its just stupid some posters are acting as if they know ACL injuries in depth and follow other sports and injuries in those sports as deeply and passionately as cricket. An ACL injury for a footballer, be it AFL Rugby or soccer is far different than for a wicket keeper.

Ligament tears - especially a triple ligament tear - are nothing to scoff at.  However, orthopedic surgery and rehab know-how have come a long, long way, and for those reasons alone there is cause for cautious optimism.  It will be a long arduous process that will test him like nothing ever has, but he must keep hope alive (as must we, IMO). 

PS: Just realized that my post is basically a copy-paste of @cowboysfan's opinion from above :-)

Edited by BacktoCricaddict
35 minutes ago, cowboysfan said:

modern surgery has come a long way.his ligaments will be as good a new.the problem is his long recovery time.he will not play this year and he may start practcing a few months into next year but he might have to start from scratch,he wont be ready for ranjis either.

Yes I am talking about recovery. It will take a long time to recover.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/rishabh-pant-after-car-accident-ive-found-happiness-in-even-being-able-to-brush-my-teeth-1361073

Pant: I've found happiness in even being able to brush my teeth

Rishabh Pant is "making some good progress with my recovery" after suffering a serious car accident in December 2022. The India wicketkeeper is expected to be out of action for most of 2023 after tearing three key ligaments in his knee, but is hopeful that "with the grace of God, and the support of the medical team, I will be fully fit very soon."

Pant's influence on the Indian team has grown over the last few years, especially since his heroics during the 2020-21 Border Gavaskar Trophy. He has been their highest-scorer in Test cricket over the past two years and would have been a shoo-in to take the gloves during the ODI World Cup which India will host in October 2023.

The accident, however, has complicated matters. Sourav Ganguly, who has a management role with Pant's IPL team the Delhi Capitals, believes it might take two years for him to be back playing again.

Earlier this month, Pant tweeted a picture of himself walking with the help of crutches, his right leg in a bandage, and in an interview with IANS spoke about the changes he has had to deal with recently.

"It is hard for me to say if everything around me has become more positive or even negative. However, I've gained a fresh perspective on how I view my life now. Something I value today is enjoying my life to the fullest and this includes the smallest of things that we ignore in our daily routine. Everyone today is hustling and working extremely hard to achieve something special, but we've forgotten to enjoy the little things which give us joy every single day.

"Especially after my accident, I've found happiness in even being able to brush my teeth every day as well as something like sitting under the sun. While trying to achieve our goals, it seems like we've taken the regular things in life for granted. My biggest realisation and message would be that feeling blessed every day is also a blessing, and that's the mindset I've adopted since my setback and being able to enjoy every moment which comes my way is a takeaway I have for myself."

Pant's routine now includes three sessions of physiotherapy a day. "I do have my daily fruits and fluids in between them. I also try to sit under the sun for some time, and this process will continue until I'm able to walk properly again." He misses cricket "because my life literally revolves around it, but I am focusing on getting back to my feet now and I cannot wait to get back to doing what I love the most."  :two_thumbs_up:

Capitals are yet to take a decision on who will captain them in Pant's absence. Their first game of IPL 2023 is on April 1 against Lucknow Super Giants.
5 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

He had surgery for ACL, PCL, MCL  as all 3 ligamens were torn. I understand all 3 are necessary for a stable posture.  We used to make fun of his balance when he played shots at the start of his career. He would often lose balance and fall down.  Thsoe half balanced  shots can put more stress.

Gosh I thought it was just an ACL and I was already writing his career off just of that alone.

Having PCL and MCL injunction, certainly is the end of him as an elite cricketer for India. Im sure he will play and be given every chance, but the reality is the probability from here is very very low of a successful return.

It breaks my heart saying this.

3 minutes ago, SRT100 said:

Gosh I thought it was just an ACL and I was already writing his career off just of that alone.

Having PCL and MCL injunction, certainly is the end of him as an elite cricketer for India. Im sure he will play and be given every chance, but the reality is the probability from here is very very low of a successful return.

It breaks my heart saying this.

This article has some details about RTS (return to sport) after multiligament injury.  :(

https://aoj.amegroups.com/article/view/4778/html

19 hours ago, SRT100 said:

Yes, this I definitely believe will happen.

The BCCI will give him every single opportunity to resurrect his career and yes to some extent he could play some matches against minnows for form and confidence, however I genuinely believe his best will be best past him.

Nothing will make me happier than for him to prove me wrong, however on the balance of probabilities, with every variable considered, I believe its very highly doubtful we will get the version of Pant that we loved and adored.

yes, that is true. I think we concur

Does anyone here actually follow any sport as passionately and as religiously as cricket?

I mean in AFL we have players have ACL and there is plethora of variables at play involved in making a successful comeback. In 99% of the players it takes a full 12 months to make a full recovery to be able to play again. However these players are undergoing active recovery 24/7, its not a simple rest in bed and its all fine. Im not sure many on here understand or comprehend the rigors of recovering from an ACL.

I have followed very very closely players that have had ACL surgeries and sure many do return to as a good a footballer as they were before. However, wicket keeper is a very unique position and unique stress placed on the knees. ypu then add a PCL and MCL and thats a lot of repair. Pant already would have subjected his knees to a lot of stress from just playing cricket alone. A motor vehicle accident coupled with ACL surgery, the prognosis is definitely not good.

Pray that he makes a healthy recovery and can walk properly again. Anything more is just a bonus.

8 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/rishabh-pant-after-car-accident-ive-found-happiness-in-even-being-able-to-brush-my-teeth-1361073

Pant: I've found happiness in even being able to brush my teeth

Rishabh Pant is "making some good progress with my recovery" after suffering a serious car accident in December 2022. The India wicketkeeper is expected to be out of action for most of 2023 after tearing three key ligaments in his knee, but is hopeful that "with the grace of God, and the support of the medical team, I will be fully fit very soon."

Pant's influence on the Indian team has grown over the last few years, especially since his heroics during the 2020-21 Border Gavaskar Trophy. He has been their highest-scorer in Test cricket over the past two years and would have been a shoo-in to take the gloves during the ODI World Cup which India will host in October 2023.

The accident, however, has complicated matters. Sourav Ganguly, who has a management role with Pant's IPL team the Delhi Capitals, believes it might take two years for him to be back playing again.

Earlier this month, Pant tweeted a picture of himself walking with the help of crutches, his right leg in a bandage, and in an interview with IANS spoke about the changes he has had to deal with recently.

"It is hard for me to say if everything around me has become more positive or even negative. However, I've gained a fresh perspective on how I view my life now. Something I value today is enjoying my life to the fullest and this includes the smallest of things that we ignore in our daily routine. Everyone today is hustling and working extremely hard to achieve something special, but we've forgotten to enjoy the little things which give us joy every single day.

"Especially after my accident, I've found happiness in even being able to brush my teeth every day as well as something like sitting under the sun. While trying to achieve our goals, it seems like we've taken the regular things in life for granted. My biggest realisation and message would be that feeling blessed every day is also a blessing, and that's the mindset I've adopted since my setback and being able to enjoy every moment which comes my way is a takeaway I have for myself."

Pant's routine now includes three sessions of physiotherapy a day. "I do have my daily fruits and fluids in between them. I also try to sit under the sun for some time, and this process will continue until I'm able to walk properly again." He misses cricket "because my life literally revolves around it, but I am focusing on getting back to my feet now and I cannot wait to get back to doing what I love the most."  :two_thumbs_up:

Capitals are yet to take a decision on who will captain them in Pant's absence. Their first game of IPL 2023 is on April 1 against Lucknow Super Giants.

this article reads to me as someone who knows their careeer (and professional "life") is over, and is just going to extract whatever other fulfillment one can get from life.

a short, but brilliant, career. hopefully the next pant to emerge from india will learn from him @SRT100

Just now, SRT100 said:

Does anyone here actually follow any sport as passionately and as religiously as cricket?

I mean in AFL we have players have ACL and there is plethora of variables at play involved in making a successful comeback. In 99% of the players it takes a full 12 months to make a full recovery to be able to play again. However these players are undergoing active recovery 24/7, its not a simple rest in bed and its all fine. Im not sure many on here understand or comprehend the rigors of recovering from an ACL.

I have followed very very closely players that have had ACL surgeries and sure many do return to as a good a footballer as they were before. However, wicket keeper is a very unique position and unique stress placed on the knees. ypu then add a PCL and MCL and thats a lot of repair. Pant already would have subjected his knees to a lot of stress from just playing cricket alone. A motor vehicle accident coupled with ACL surgery, the prognosis is definitely not good.

Pray that he makes a healthy recovery and can walk properly again. Anything more is just a bonus.

even the walking part itself is not 100% guaranteed at the moment

4 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

This article has some details about RTS (return to sport) after multiligament injury.  :(

https://aoj.amegroups.com/article/view/4778/html

Thanks.

Also while you dont need to have the injury to understand it, a resident poster here, @coffee_rules has had one. He also had it at a young age.

We should all listen closely to what he is saying as it is along the same lines of what I have said since Day 1.

Pant's career is almost likely completely over.

I would love to be delusional and have hope, but that is fraught with danger and will only end in sadness.

2 minutes ago, Vijy said:

even the walking part itself is not 100% guaranteed at the moment

I am of course 100% a Tendulkar fan boy, but Pant has been the only player since SRT that made me giddy like a high school teenage girl watching cricket.

He makes me enjoy cricket with his skill and himself being a comedian on the field. I remember in Australia Pant got caught out of lockdown eating food, if that doesnt make you laugh, Im not sure what will. HIs "temporary captain" comments about Paine, made roll in laughter.

I honestly feel as if my joy and love of the game was stolen from me.

3 minutes ago, SRT100 said:

Thanks.

Also while you dont need to have the injury to understand it, a resident poster here, @coffee_rules has had one. He also had it at a young age.

We should all listen closely to what he is saying as it is along the same lines of what I have said since Day 1.

Pant's career is almost likely completely over.

I would love to be delusional and have hope, but that is fraught with danger and will only end in sadness.

better to face the truth as it is, rather than cook up fantasies of him playing in 1-2 years

3 hours ago, cowboysfan said:

Please dont be ignorant, this is not about modern surgery.

As I said, I know a lot about ACL injuries as its very very common in AFL.

His chances of playing for India at the level he once was, is zero.

I pray that he can walk properly again without pain and discomfort.

1 minute ago, SRT100 said:

I am of course 100% a Tendulkar fan boy, but Pant has been the only player since SRT that made me giddy like a high school teenage girl watching cricket.

He makes me enjoy cricket with his skill and himself being a comedian on the field. I remember in Australia Pant got caught out of lockdown eating food, if that doesnt make you laugh, Im not sure what will. HIs "temporary captain" comments about Paine, made roll in laughter.

I honestly feel as if my joy and love of the game was stolen from me.

for that to return, you need the following ATG lineup to return and you will discover never-before depths of passion (i.e., actually hate):

dhawan

rohit

poojara

brat

rahane

kela (wk)

Jaddu

Ash

Ishant

harshal/undercutter

dhawal/deepak chahar

4 minutes ago, Vijy said:

for that to return, you need the following ATG lineup to return and you will discover never-before depths of passion (i.e., actually hate):

dhawan

rohit

poojara

brat

rahane

kela (wk)

Jaddu

Ash

Ishant

harshal/undercutter

dhawal/deepak chahar

Pant would still be more valuable in current condition than Dhawan.

At least the team morale and spirits will be boosted by Pant's return.

If Dhawan ever comes back into the team Im throwing my phone through it.

8 minutes ago, Vijy said:

better to face the truth as it is, rather than cook up fantasies of him playing in 1-2 years

I do know why some ignorant posters think Pant will be ok, they seem to think, well Pandya came back from injury and so did Shami, Fatman and Jaddu etc etc.

What they fail to realize is what an ACL injury is completely a different scenario which is further exacerbated by the extenuating factors around Pant, such as being overweight, being a wicket keeper, etc etc etc.

14 minutes ago, SRT100 said:

Pant would still be more valuable in current condition than Dhawan.

At least the team morale and spirits will be boosted by Pant's return.

If Dhawan ever comes back into the team Im throwing my phone through it.

he will surely come back, grinning and thigh slapping

12 minutes ago, SRT100 said:

I do know why some ignorant posters think Pant will be ok, they seem to think, well Pandya came back from injury and so did Shami, Fatman and Jaddu etc etc.

What they fail to realize is what an ACL injury is completely a different scenario which is further exacerbated by the extenuating factors around Pant, such as being overweight, being a wicket keeper, etc etc etc.

ACL + a bunch of other big issues in their own right