Pant potentially out for 1-2 years

zen

Per Ganguly - “I spoke to him a couple of times. Obviously he is going through a tough period, through injuries and surgeries and I wish him well. In a year’s time or may be in a couple of years’ time, he will be back playing for India,” Ganguly told PTI.

Link

Even if Pant comes back in 2024 IPL, he will probably need to play domestic matches to be available for tests so maybe one can hope for a comeback in tests in late 2024 or early 2025. 

Edited by zen
4 hours ago, singhprakash72 said:

Lot depends on how much hard work he puts on the rehab...I think he should be back in a year but he himself will be responsible if he doesn't.

That's a very ignorant way of putting it.

To come back from Knee surgery, even to just 'normal' life, is not easy.  For an athlete to manage resumption of peak fitness?  Especially as a wicket-keeper who puts so much stress on knees?  It is by no means a guarantee - forget about year or 2 years, I am talking ever.   

2 hours ago, sandeep said:

To come back from Knee surgery, even to just 'normal' life, is not easy.  For an athlete to manage resumption of peak fitness?  Especially as a wicket-keeper who puts so much stress on knees?  It is by no means a guarantee - forget about year or 2 years, I am talking ever.   

Correct.

I have said it on here and I said it at the time, I genuinely believe Pant's career is over as we know it.

I do not believe he will be the player he was for us. Most on here dont seem to grasp the concept of how serious ACL injury is and the impact that it has and the recovery process it entails.

Its why at the time, I was very heart broken hearing about Pant as I knew deep down its the end of his career.

5 hours ago, sandeep said:

Had a ligament tear in 2nd year of college, I couldn’t play Cricket (at college level) after that. Not that I had an urge to get back normal. I can’t run even now with multiple surgeries over time. Sad for Pant and hope he does return

5 hours ago, cowboysfan said:

everytime i think about this it makes me angry on how this accident could have been easily avoided in many ways .

It could have been worse. I am glad that at-least he is alive and with all limbs intact. Dhruv Pandove was a cricket prodigy who died in an accident at the age of 18. He has a cricket stadium named after him, but one can only wonder what he might have achieved on the biggest stage. Pant is already ATG level with crucial contributions and several series deciding games. Even if he doesn't play a game of cricket again, he has achieved what players with careers thrice as long can only dream of. 

24 minutes ago, dilliboy said:

Footballers get ACL and usually are back to full fitness within a year. Pant should follow a similar timeframe. Cricketers don't need to strain their knee as much as footballers so he should be fine..people claiming end of his career are on a hyperbolic spree 

Absolute rubbish, if anything given Pant is a wicket keeper his ability to comeback to his former ability is significantly and severely impacted.

He would have sustained more wear and tear on his knee as a wicket keeper than any footballer. Wicket keepers arguably strain their knees than almost more than any other sport out there.

1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

Had a ligament tear in 2nd year of college, I couldn’t play Cricket (at college level) after that. Not that I had an urge to get back normal. I can’t run even now with multiple surgeries over time. Sad for Pant and hope he does return

Im sorry to know this, I feel for you.

What you are saying about your injury is not surprising whatsoever.

I genuinely its the end of Pant's career.

He may come back,  but he will never ever be the same as he was prior to his injury. Only ignorant posters out there would believe otherwise. The odds are against Pant.

3 hours ago, tapandrun said:

Returning back to Intl cricket will not be easy, Do not think he will be able to Keep wkts  if the injury is that serious. squatting down and standing-up repetitively for 5 days will not be easy.

Im confident that even at Ranji Trophy level his wicket keeping career is over.

Pant will only now ever be a batsman.

6 hours ago, sandeep said:

it is very likely that his career as keeper is over, and also semi-likely that his cricket career (even as pure batter) is over

7 minutes ago, SRT100 said:

Im sorry to know this, I feel for you.

What you are saying about your injury is not surprising whatsoever.

I genuinely its the end of Pant's career.

He may come back,  but he will never ever be the same as he was prior to his injury. Only ignorant posters out there would believe otherwise. The odds are against Pant.

they have no real medical knowledge of sports injuries

12 minutes ago, Vijy said:

it is very likely that his career as keeper is over, and also semi-likely that his cricket career (even as pure batter) is over

It truly saddens me the injury to Pant, because when he was over here in Australia he was something exceptional and I can never forget the constant commentary over the stump mic to the Aussies.

I miss him and I miss how excited he got me to enjoy Test Cricket.

I am a huge Pant Fan Boy, so you can only imagine how devastating as a fan this injury is. Its brings me no pleasure when I say his career is over. Its delusional and almost Bollywood to think otherwise.

Im also very very angry about the decisions he made regards to driving, but he is young and everyone has done foolish things on the road in their youth. I definitely have.

Mind you driving erratically in Australia is far far different to driving in India.

I can confidently say if he was driving a cheap car, he would likely be dead. That Mercedes of his the GLC43 has exceptional safety features.