Today Sachin Tendulkar turns 50-greatest batsmen ever?

How great was Sachin Tendulkar?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. How great was Sachin Tendulkar?

• Best batsmen ever
    • Best ever ODI batsmen
    • Best ever cricketer
    • Best ever test match batsmn
    • Amongst top 3 batsmen ever
    • Amongst top 5 batsmen ever
    • Amongst top 5 cricketers ever
    • Amongst top 10 cricketers ever
    • Amongst top 10 batsmen ever
    • Amongst top 5 test batsmen of all?
    • Not amongst top 10 batsmen of all
    • Not amongst top 10 cricketesr of all

There are 4 players in our history that kept cricket popularity growing n made a massive brand. We literally are total beast now, financially atleast.

First, the MAIN person to bring great interest to us indians was KAPIL DEV, imo. That world cup win against mighty WI, lit the fuse for us. So ty, kapil!.

Second, Sachin Tendulkar. Well what to say i used to wake up at 1am at nights as a kid just to watch him bat and so did billions in india. He was india and he was the brand. After he got out, match is as good as gone. The GOD.

3rd, Dhoni. Well best captain, calm and boy his fan following is crazy which even beats tendulkar now. Master of chase in odis, butchered Pakistani and master tactician.

4th, Virat Kohli. He is the greatest batsman in all formats i have seen. Incredible turn around in fitness brought amazing results. He brought opposition to his knees. He made sure sledging from aussies to indian player got mon existent cuz he became a mc bc bully himself. The more the opposition riled him up, the better he player.

ok now my hands hurt now typing on iphone.

8 hours ago, Gollum said:

BCCI *ed up by scheduling so few tests for most of the 90s. Sachin in his peak years was playing random, meaningless JAMODIS and tri series. Wasim Akram too got shafted because of that. We needed more of these 2 in tests at their best. 

Its baffling that in his entire career, sachin played only 2 5 match series (one has a 18 year old and one in 2002 with  an injury). He also played very less 4 match series, the number of 2 match series he played in his prime is uncountable. This approach didnt help him amass huge runs in a series (he has scored 403 in a 2 match series and 446, 435, 428 in a 3 match series)

Edited by New guy
7 hours ago, Chaos said:

There are 4 players in our history that kept cricket popularity growing n made a massive brand. We literally are total beast now, financially atleast.

First, the MAIN person to bring great interest to us indians was KAPIL DEV, imo. That world cup win against mighty WI, lit the fuse for us. So ty, kapil!.

Second, Sachin Tendulkar. Well what to say i used to wake up at 1am at nights as a kid just to watch him bat and so did billions in india. He was india and he was the brand. After he got out, match is as good as gone. The GOD.

3rd, Dhoni. Well best captain, calm and boy his fan following is crazy which even beats tendulkar now. Master of chase in odis, butchered Pakistani and master tactician.

4th, Virat Kohli. He is the greatest batsman in all formats i have seen. Incredible turn around in fitness brought amazing results. He brought opposition to his knees. He made sure sledging from aussies to indian player got mon existent cuz he became a mc bc bully himself. The more the opposition riled him up, the better he player.

ok now my hands hurt now typing on iphone.

well that may be true for your generation. But if we are looking through Indian cricket through time, then the main guys who kept cricket's popularity growing were: 

Vinoo Mankad & Vijay Hazare, then Subhash Gupte, then Sunny bhai & Kapil, then Tendulkar, then Sehwag, then Dhoni and then Kohli & Bumrah in that order of chronology.

3 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

well that may be true for your generation. But if we are looking through Indian cricket through time, then the main guys who kept cricket's popularity growing were: 

Vinoo Mankad & Vijay Hazare, then Subhash Gupte, then Sunny bhai & Kapil, then Tendulkar, then Sehwag, then Dhoni and then Kohli & Bumrah in that order of chronology.

:police: u agreeing even 10% with me seems dubious uncle

5 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

now, now, whippersnapper, let's begin with palwankar baloo, then CK nayudu, then merchant, and then the others you named.

14 hours ago, Vijy said:

now, now, whippersnapper, let's begin with palwankar baloo, then CK nayudu, then merchant, and then the others you named.

i am not going to count the pre-independence era people much, because i dont think they got exposure in media/public awareness to actually popularise the game. I may be wrong,but somehow i doubt that very many indians knew of palwankar baloo or ck nayudu. 
Merchant is from the hazare era, no ?

4 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

i am not going to count the pre-independence era people much, because i dont think they got exposure in media/public awareness to actually popularise the game. I may be wrong,but somehow i doubt that very many indians knew of palwankar baloo or ck nayudu. 
Merchant is from the hazare era, no ?

It may have been pre-WW2, but CK was a very big name, arguably more famous at his peak than Hazare and Gupte. In fact, the attendances in the domestics he played in or the unofficial "tests" was super high. My gramps told me often about what a great CK was at his peak, i.e., long before we got to play tests. many people knew of him, even if they were not cricket fans.

Palwankar wasn't so well known because it was the dawn of cricket, but he did attract some attention as india's first alleged test-level cricketer, and even more when he entered politics.

Lastly, Merchant is slightly before Hazare. former debuted in tests in '33 and latter in '46. the former in FC in the 20s and the latter in the 30s. there was also a diff in style of batsmanship, their general conduct and style, etc. Merchant can almost be regarded as being from an earlier generation, despite not much age difference.

Edited by Vijy

Being an ardent fan of Virat I still think Tendulkar was by far the better batsman both technically and talent wise.

If you compare mental game and temperament I would put Virat ahead because he wouldn’t have achieved so much just with the talent he has.

In odis I do believe Virat has overtaken Tendulkar and is now just behind Viv Richards.

In test matches there is absolutely no comparison and Sachin was way ahead.

Sachin lacked impact though, he was a great accumulator but seldom created big impact. For example I would take a prime Steve Smith over prime Tenduljar just because he will win me more games and would handle pressure better.

8 hours ago, Adamant said:

Being an ardent fan of Virat I still think Tendulkar was by far the better batsman both technically and talent wise.

If you compare mental game and temperament I would put Virat ahead because he wouldn’t have achieved so much just with the talent he has.

In odis I do believe Virat has overtaken Tendulkar and is now just behind Viv Richards.

In test matches there is absolutely no comparison and Sachin was way ahead.

Sachin lacked impact though, he was a great accumulator but seldom created big impact. For example I would take a prime Steve Smith over prime Tenduljar just because he will win me more games and would handle pressure better.

I dont think in ODIs Virat has overtaken Sachin. 

Impact from a batsman is a very subjective thing. Take the greatest test innings vs best tendulkar's innings that isnt even in the top 100 by Wisden. 
Both were 4th innings centuries, both of them gave a dolly of a chance within 20 runs of victory. The difference ? Pakistan held on to Sachin's chance, whereas Shane Warne of all people ( one of the greatest slip catches in history) shelled Lara's chance. 

So to say that Sachin didnt have impactful innings, is a very wrong thing to say. 

I grew up watching the likes of Gavaskar who was my childhood idol. However, Sachin is by far the most technically complete batsman in modern history. In terms is his impact to Indian cricket, no one else can compare. However, I do believe he tarnished his image by not retiring after WC2011 and got carried away in the pursuit of 100 hundreds. 

Ban the guy who is troll voting multiple posts on Sachin in this thread. Such a guy has no place in a Indian cricket fans forum.

I think that name is Kothili. He is on my ignore list for a while so I do not see his useless posts anyway.

People may not agree that Sachin was the best batsman ever or even top 10 ever and that is fine. They can have their opinion and no need to even back it up with stats or anything. But just disrespectful of people who think highly of Sachin or another player for that matter and troll tagging normal posts is idiotic. And some people have this repeat idiotic behavior. 

Just now, putrevus said:

Don’t think so in either formats. He is not even in top 5 in tests and barely makes top 5 in Odis.

Lmao. thats called having nonsense opinion. The man has by far the best record for a 20 year span, in one of the hardest eras to bat, while having faced the most number of world class or great bowlers in history of the game. Easily the best test batsman since ww2, if not ever and easily one of the top 2 ODI batsmen ever with only competition coming from Viv.

3 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

Lmao. thats called having nonsense opinion. The man has by far the best record for a 20 year span, in one of the hardest eras to bat, while having faced the most number of world class or great bowlers in history of the game. Easily the best test batsman since ww2, if not ever and easily one of the top 2 ODI batsmen ever with only competition coming from Viv.

Longevity does not mean greatness. He is not even top 5 test batsman period. 

Odis again he has done nothing earth shattering. His 1998 best year was again based on volume of matches .

16 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Longevity does not mean greatness. He is not even top 5 test batsman period. 

Odis again he has done nothing earth shattering. His 1998 best year was again based on volume of matches .

longetivity at a higher performance level than virtually everyone while facing the toughest assortment of bowlers and in one of the hardest eras to bat doesn't just mean greatness, it means greatest ever. 

In ODIs he was aeons ahead of the rest during his time and had a bigger gap between himself and #2 than anyone else ever had except for viv.