4. Virat
  5. Rahane
  6. Kishan
  7. Ashwin
  8. Shardul
  9. Unadkat
  10. Shami
  11. Siraj

If you replace Bharath with Ishan Kishan, along with the batting upgrade (and the lefty), do Shardul, Ashwin and Unadkat offer enough to offset the loss of Jadeja the test batter?

I believe that Ashwin's bowling is much more of a wicket taking option than Jadeja's in these conditions.  Especially against Australia and their lefty bats.   Yes Jaddu has been brilliant with the bat in test matches, but if we had to go with just 1 spinner, I would pick Ashwin ahead of Jaddu, and go with the XI above.  

Ashwin is not completely useless with the bat, and neither are Shardul and Unadkat.  The XI above isn't that long a tail if you think about it. 

^ unfortunately I don’t trust Bharat with the bat but from I have observed he is leagues ahead of Kishen as a keeper. As a pure keeper as good as Pant and inferior to Saha and MSD. However Kishen as a batsman it is a no contest. way better  than Bharat.

With Boom being out, our bowling is missing our spearhead - and that's not just a cliche.  Ashwin has proven himself to be effective even in the previous WTC final - yes playing 2 spinners hurt us in that game, but Ash bowled well.  And if conditions don't support playing 2 spinners, then he should be first choice spinner.  Rest of the logic flows from there - i.e. picking Kishan ahead of Bharath to shore up the middle order plus a left-hander.  Picking Jaddu over a Rahane is a separate argument, maybe there's something there.  But my point is that Ash ought to play this test match.

Jadeja and Ashwin aren't even vying for the same position anymore. Jadeja (especially in absence of Pant & Iyer) easily makes the XI on his batting alone. Also he's the only lefty we have in the lineup. The team actually needs his batting.

If Pandya had a good Test career and was available, he ideally would have replaced Jadeja allowing Ashwin to play. 

3 minutes ago, AuxiliA said:

Jadeja and Ashwin aren't even vying for the same position anymore. Jadeja (especially in absence of Pant & Iyer) easily makes the XI on his batting alone. Also he's the only lefty we have in the lineup. The team actually needs his batting.

If Pandya had a good Test career and was available, he ideally would have replaced Jadeja allowing Ashwin to play. 

I hear you, but my point is that we need to figure out a way to fit Ashwin into this XI.

2 minutes ago, sandeep said:

With Boom being out, our bowling is missing our spearhead - and that's not just a cliche.  Ashwin has proven himself to be effective even in the previous WTC final - yes playing 2 spinners hurt us in that game, but Ash bowled well.  And if conditions don't support playing 2 spinners, then he should be first choice spinner.  Rest of the logic flows from there - i.e. picking Kishan ahead of Bharath to shore up the middle order plus a left-hander.  Picking Jaddu over a Rahane is a separate argument, maybe there's something there.  But my point is that Ash ought to play this test match.

Unless the pitch is too seamer friendly we should play both Ashwin and Jadeja. 

Ashwin offers more as a 4th bowler than Thakur. Can bat equally well. 

42 minutes ago, sandeep said:
  1. Rohit
  2. Gill
  3. Pujara
  4. Virat
  5. Rahane
  6. Kishan
  7. Ashwin
  8. Shardul
  9. Unadkat
  10. Shami
  11. Siraj

If you replace Bharath with Ishan Kishan, along with the batting upgrade (and the lefty), do Shardul, Ashwin and Unadkat offer enough to offset the loss of Jadeja the test batter?

I believe that Ashwin's bowling is much more of a wicket taking option than Jadeja's in these conditions.  Especially against Australia and their lefty bats.   Yes Jaddu has been brilliant with the bat in test matches, but if we had to go with just 1 spinner, I would pick Ashwin ahead of Jaddu, and go with the XI above.  

Ashwin is not completely useless with the bat, and neither are Shardul and Unadkat.  The XI above isn't that long a tail if you think about it. 

Not a bad option but Unadkat cannot be your third seamer. He is not just good enough imo.

11 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Ashwin has proven himself to be effective even in the previous WTC final - yes playing 2 spinners hurt us in that game, but Ash bowled well. 

Ash bowling well in that game is true but I am still not able to understand why everyone keeps saying playing 2 spinners was the biggest reason India lost? Far from it.

It was our batsmen who crapped it again. If it was such a fast bowlers paradise if top 3 of your premier fast bowling choices can’t get the job done then fourth bowler wouldn’t have made a difference. At least not any more than 2 premier spinners like Ash and Jaddu.

In fact that was used as an excuse to cover batting failures because that’s where the money churning big guns come  from.

7 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Not a bad option but Unadkat cannot be your third seamer. He is not just good enough imo.

Umesh, Shami and Siraj pick themselves. 

if 4th bowler is needed then Thakur is a proven test bowling-allrounder.

BCCI probably has disposable income to even spend on Unadkut’s ticket. 

we would have to see a Australia like 

situation with players falling like a pack of cards for Unadkut to get a shot.

I was so hoping for Indian team to grow a spine and give Jaiswal a debut but that will never happen atleast in the foreseeable future unless some unforeseen circumstances.

10 minutes ago, maniac said:

Ash bowling well in that game is true but I am still not able to understand why everyone keeps saying playing 2 spinners was the biggest reason India lost? Far from it.

It was our batsmen who crapped it again. If it was such a fast bowlers paradise if top 3 of your premier fast bowling choices can’t get the job done then fourth bowler wouldn’t have made a difference. At least not any more than 2 premier spinners like Ash and Jaddu.

In fact that was used as an excuse to cover batting failures because that’s where the money churning big guns come  from.

You cannot expect them to score 400 in those conditions.On seamers paradise , our pace spearhead could even not get one wicket that is the reason why India lost.

If they bowl out NZ for 150-160 in first innings which was possible if Bumrah came to party then India would have won that match.

Ashwin was the best bowler for India in that match which was very unfortunate.

Edited by putrevus
4 minutes ago, maniac said:

I was so hoping for Indian team to grow a spine and give Jaiswal a debut but that will never happen atleast in the foreseeable future unless some unforeseen circumstances.

Let those idiot selectors do what ever they but this guy Unadkat is not international quality, never was  and he never will be so he should not be playing.

24 minutes ago, sandeep said:

yes playing 2 spinners hurt us in that game

No it didn't. As others have mentioned, Jadeja makes this team on batting alone. His bowling is just a bonus. And Ashwin actually bowled brilliantly that game. So it definitely didn't hurt us. 

What actually hurt us was the royal choke by Bumrah who ended up wicketless. Him and Ishant bowled utter shite with the new ball in NZ first innings...the conditions were so good to bowl and we could have bowled NZ out for 150 if Bumrah turned up even at 60% his best. 

30 minutes ago, AuxiliA said:

Unless the pitch is too seamer friendly we should play both Ashwin and Jadeja. 

Ashwin offers more as a 4th bowler than Thakur. Can bat equally well. 

I would play Thakur as 3rd seamer.  His bowling is pretty good. I like him for ANUS condition test matches.  He's a starter for me. for now.

30 minutes ago, maniac said:

current Umesh does not even merit a place in the squad.