‘Australia clearly played with ball, no one’s talking about it’: Ex-Pakistan cricketer Basit Ali makes ball tampering claim

‘Australia clearly played with ball, no one’s talking about it’: Ex-Pakistan cricketer Basit Ali makes ball tampering claim

Former Pakistan cricketer Basit Ali has claimed that Australia tampered the ball in the first innings against India in the World Test Championship final.

Speaking on his YouTube channel, Ali pointed out how the Aussies 'made the ball' around the 15th over of the first innings. He added that the tactics helped them get rid of India's Virat Kohli and Cheteshwar Pujara. Both Pujara and Kohli were dismissed in quick succession by Cameron Green and Mitchell Starc respectively.

"I would clap for those watching the match from the commentary box, and the umpires! Australia clearly played with the ball and no one is talking about it. No batter is wondering 'What is happening?' The biggest example is batters getting bowled while leaving the ball. Let me give you the evidence too. Until the 54th over when Shami was bowling, the shine was on the outside and the ball moved back into Steve Smith. This is not called reverse-swing. Reverse swing is when the shine is on the inside and the ball comes back in," Ali said on his YouTube channel.

He added: "Look at the 16th, 17th and 18th overs. Specifically, the ball on which Virat Kohli got out... look at the shine. Mitchell Starc had the ball in his hand with the shiny end pointing outside but the ball was moving the other way. Ravindra Jadeja was hitting the ball on the on-side and the ball was flying over point. Have the umpires gone blind? God knows who all are sitting there who can't see such a simple thing," Ali lamented.

It must be noted that in the 18th over of the innings, the ball was changed on the instructions of umpire Richard Kettleborough after it had gone out of shape. It was after the new ball was taken, that Ali said the ball started behaving oddly with India slipping from 30/2 to 71/4.

"Green bowled with the shine pointing towards Pujara and the ball rocketed back in? I am surprised. BCCI is such a big board; can they not see it? It means that you aren't focussed towards cricket. They are just happy knowing that India have reached the final. Does the ball ever reverse swing in 15-20 overs, that too the Dukes ball? I understand that a Kookaburra ball can still reverse, but a Dukes ball lasts till 40 overs at least," Ali said.

For Australia, ball tampering is a touchy topic, after the country's team was mired in a ball tampering scandal back in 2018. TV cameras had caught Australian players roughing up one side of the ball with sandpaper bits hidden in players' pockets. Called 'sandpaper gate', the scandal saw David Warner and Steve Smith handed one-year bans while Cameron Bancroft was suspended for nine months.

Something to ponder about? This attention from the commies is what got the Aussies caught in Saf in the 2017-18 series. 

This is something most of icf will agree with. lol

'As a coach, he is absolutely zero': Former Pakistan cricketer Basit Ali on Rahul Dravid

'As a coach, he is absolutely zero': Former Pakistan cricketer Basit Ali on Rahul Dravid

Former Pakistan cricketer Basit Ali made a scathing remark against current Indian cricket team coach Rahul Dravid over his tactics in the ongoing World Test Championship final against Australia at The Oval.

On his YouTube channel, Ali pointed out Dravid’s mistakes in planning and running things during the WTC Final. He added that except Virat Kohli, Ajinkya Rahane and Ravindra, the remaining India players look tired.

“I am a huge Rahul Dravid fan, have always been and will remain. He is a class player, a legend. But as a coach, he is absolutely zero. You prepared turning pitches on India. Just answer me this. When India travelled to Australia, were there similar wickets? They had bouncy pitches, right? God knows what he was thinking,” Ali said on his YouTube channel.

“India lost the match the moment they chose to bowl worrying about the first two hours. And the kind of bowling that was on display was just like IPL. By lunch, the Indian bowlers appeared so happy as if they’d won the match,” he added.

"All India can do now is hope to get them out cheaply and hope for a miracle in the fourth innings. During the 120 overs that India fielded, I could see only 2-3 players being fit – Rahane, Kohli and Jadeja. The rest looked tired,” claimed Ali.

India are in a challenging position in the WTC Final with Australia taking a 296 run lead after Day 3. They will resume on 123/4 with two days remaining in the one-off Test match.

Rohit Sharma-captained India conceded 469 runs in the first innings after winning the toss. India were 71/4 in reply before Ravindra Jadeja, Ajinkya Rahane and Shardul Thakur salvaged some pride with fighting fifties.

6 hours ago, rollingstoned said:

This is something most of icf will agree with. lol

Former Pakistan cricketer Basit Ali made a scathing remark against current Indian cricket team coach Rahul Dravid over his tactics in the ongoing World Test Championship final against Australia at The Oval.

On his YouTube channel, Ali pointed out Dravid’s mistakes in planning and running things during the WTC Final. He added that except Virat Kohli, Ajinkya Rahane and Ravindra, the remaining India players look tired.

“I am a huge Rahul Dravid fan, have always been and will remain. He is a class player, a legend. But as a coach, he is absolutely zero. You prepared turning pitches on India. Just answer me this. When India travelled to Australia, were there similar wickets? They had bouncy pitches, right? God knows what he was thinking,” Ali said on his YouTube channel.

“India lost the match the moment they chose to bowl worrying about the first two hours. And the kind of bowling that was on display was just like IPL. By lunch, the Indian bowlers appeared so happy as if they’d won the match,” he added.

"All India can do now is hope to get them out cheaply and hope for a miracle in the fourth innings. During the 120 overs that India fielded, I could see only 2-3 players being fit – Rahane, Kohli and Jadeja. The rest looked tired,” claimed Ali.

India are in a challenging position in the WTC Final with Australia taking a 296 run lead after Day 3. They will resume on 123/4 with two days remaining in the one-off Test match.

Rohit Sharma-captained India conceded 469 runs in the first innings after winning the toss. India were 71/4 in reply before Ravindra Jadeja, Ajinkya Rahane and Shardul Thakur salvaged some pride with fighting fifties.

even a broken clock is wrong twice a day, as the saying goes. what Ali said re: Dravid is true

On 6/10/2023 at 11:58 AM, rollingstoned said:

Former Pakistan cricketer Basit Ali has claimed that Australia tampered the ball in the first innings against India in the World Test Championship final.

Speaking on his YouTube channel, Ali pointed out how the Aussies 'made the ball' around the 15th over of the first innings. He added that the tactics helped them get rid of India's Virat Kohli and Cheteshwar Pujara. Both Pujara and Kohli were dismissed in quick succession by Cameron Green and Mitchell Starc respectively.

"I would clap for those watching the match from the commentary box, and the umpires! Australia clearly played with the ball and no one is talking about it. No batter is wondering 'What is happening?' The biggest example is batters getting bowled while leaving the ball. Let me give you the evidence too. Until the 54th over when Shami was bowling, the shine was on the outside and the ball moved back into Steve Smith. This is not called reverse-swing. Reverse swing is when the shine is on the inside and the ball comes back in," Ali said on his YouTube channel.

He added: "Look at the 16th, 17th and 18th overs. Specifically, the ball on which Virat Kohli got out... look at the shine. Mitchell Starc had the ball in his hand with the shiny end pointing outside but the ball was moving the other way. Ravindra Jadeja was hitting the ball on the on-side and the ball was flying over point. Have the umpires gone blind? God knows who all are sitting there who can't see such a simple thing," Ali lamented.

It must be noted that in the 18th over of the innings, the ball was changed on the instructions of umpire Richard Kettleborough after it had gone out of shape. It was after the new ball was taken, that Ali said the ball started behaving oddly with India slipping from 30/2 to 71/4.

"Green bowled with the shine pointing towards Pujara and the ball rocketed back in? I am surprised. BCCI is such a big board; can they not see it? It means that you aren't focussed towards cricket. They are just happy knowing that India have reached the final. Does the ball ever reverse swing in 15-20 overs, that too the Dukes ball? I understand that a Kookaburra ball can still reverse, but a Dukes ball lasts till 40 overs at least," Ali said.

For Australia, ball tampering is a touchy topic, after the country's team was mired in a ball tampering scandal back in 2018. TV cameras had caught Australian players roughing up one side of the ball with sandpaper bits hidden in players' pockets. Called 'sandpaper gate', the scandal saw David Warner and Steve Smith handed one-year bans while Cameron Bancroft was suspended for nine months.

Something to ponder about? This attention from the commies is what got the Aussies caught in Saf in the 2017-18 series. 

Except for Starc, Aussies don't swing the ball. All of them are hit the deck seam bowlers who get movement off the pitch and not in air.

10 minutes ago, MechEng said:

Except for Starc, Aussies don't swing the ball. All of them are hit the deck seam bowlers who get movement off the pitch and not in air.

Anyone can reverse the ball till the ball is conditioned for reverse swing. You can get reverse contrast swing even from back of length.