Was Subhman Gill's catch was clean?

43 minutes ago, Lord said:

huh? Kohli only debuted at this age in Tests

I didn't mean the physical age; I meant if you look at their records after playing similar number of tests. while Gill is a couple of years younger, it is not as though he lacks int'l (and IPL) experience

41 minutes ago, Lord said:

is that in rulebooks?

If the fingers are under the ball and if the ball touches the turf b/w the fingers, it is out. 

If the fingers are around the ball (not underneath), it is not out. 

This is supposed to be basic info much like a ball pitching outside the leg is not given LBW.  

1 minute ago, Vijy said:

I didn't mean the physical age; I meant if you look at their records after playing similar number of tests. while Gill is a couple of years younger, it is not as though he lacks int'l (and IPL) experience

He has already played Gabba and another knocks. Expecting consistency at 23 is tough. Kohli was similar.

5 minutes ago, Lord said:

He has already played Gabba and another knocks. Expecting consistency at 23 is tough. Kohli was similar.

Some people later earlier than others, which is not their fault. let's look at brat and gill over the first 16 tests:

https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/1070173.html?class=1;template=results;type=allround

https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/253802.html?class=1;spanmax2=2+mar+2013;spanval2=span;template=results;type=allround;view=match

I am not saying that Kohli is more talented than Gill (I consider the opposite to be true), but Kohli did maximize his talent better. Shubman Gill is a showboater in tests (although great for LOIs), in danger of going the same way as PShaw

Edited by Vijy
Just now, Vijy said:

Some people later earlier than others, which is not their fault. let's look at brat and gill over the first 16 tests:

https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/1070173.html?class=1;template=results;type=allround

https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/253802.html?class=1;spanmax2=2+mar+2013;spanval2=span;template=results;type=allround;view=match

I am not saying that Kohli is more talented than Gill (I consider the opposite to be true), but Kohli did maximize his talent better. Shubman Gill is a showboater, in danger of going the same way as PShaw

Kohli got a big rope and played mostly at home in those Tests. In those days home pitches used to be flatter too.

Gill has been in and out. Didn't even start last series v Aus at home. Tough to compare.Still he did better in Aus.

1 minute ago, Lord said:

Kohli got a big rope and played mostly at home in those Tests. In those days home pitches used to be flatter too.

Gill has been in and out. Didn't even start last series v Aus at home. Tough to compare.Still he did better in Aus.

we still keep harping on gill's debut series. I can't think of anything he did that is of note. and gill's 2 100s were easy ones too (remember the patta in ahmedabad). let's not anoint him too high - he has already attained a very high opinion of himself going by dismissals.

2 minutes ago, Vijy said:

we still keep harping on gill's debut series. I can't think of anything he did that is of note. and gill's 2 100s were easy ones too (remember the patta in ahmedabad). let's not anoint him too high - he has already attained a very high opinion of himself going by dismissals.

not saying h'es too great but better than most options we have., So can't drop him.

He has to rein himself though. Too aggressive,specially not leaving outside off and chasing them. Probably result of T20s

20 minutes ago, Lord said:

not saying h'es too great but better than most options we have., So can't drop him.

He has to rein himself though. Too aggressive,specially not leaving outside off and chasing them. Probably result of T20s

yeah, I agree. he has become too enamoured and shaped by T20s

42 minutes ago, zen said:

If the fingers are under the ball and if the ball touches the turf b/w the fingers, it is out. 

If the fingers are around the ball (not underneath), it is not out. 

This is supposed to be basic info much like a ball pitching outside the leg is not given LBW.  

Where are you getting this information from.  To the best of my knowledge if the ball touches the ground it's not out regardless of where the fingers are.

https://www.lords.org/mcc/the-laws-of-cricket/caught

2 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Wtf! No part of the ball should touch the ground while completing the catch.

that is assuming that fingers are not underneath the ball … when the fingers are underneath the ball, even though a part of the ball is touching the turf b/w the fingers, it is not considered grounded. 

6 minutes ago, NameGoesHere said:

Where are you getting this information from.  To the best of my knowledge if the ball touches the ground it's not out regardless of where the fingers are.

https://www.lords.org/mcc/the-laws-of-cricket/caught

“touching the ground” implies that no fingers are under the ball. 

Open your palm, spread your finger, place the palm on the ground, and place the ball on your fingers. Some part of the ball is expected to touch the ground b/w the fingers and the batsman is out. 

5 minutes ago, zen said:

that is assuming that fingers are not underneath the ball … when the fingers are underneath the ball, even though a part of the ball is touching the turf b/w the fingers, it is not considered grounded. 

Not really. That's not the case. If the ball is touching the grass, it's not out in any situation.

1 minute ago, zen said:

“touching the ground” implies that no fingers are under the ball. 

Open your palm, spread your finger, place the palm on the ground, and place the ball on your fingers. Some part of the ball is expected to touch the ground b/w the fingers and the batsman is out. 

Fingers under the ball doesn't mean anything in this case

Just now, rkt.india said:

Not really. That's not the case. If the ball is touching the grass, it's not out in any situation.

No … fingers under the ball = clean catch 

If fingers were besides the ball (or not fully under the ball), not a clean catch. 

(you are free to play your cricket how you wish, but if the fingers are under the ball, that will be given out unless the umpire things that only a part of the fingers were under the ball). 

Just now, rkt.india said:

Fingers under the ball doesn't mean anything in this case

It does as the catch is taken with the fingers.

you can even take a catch with 2 fingers under the ball with the ball touching the turf b/w those two fingers (one finger won’t do as in that case the ball is not under the control of the fielder)

To keep it simple ->2 or more fingers under the ball (does not matter if some part of the ball touches the turf b/w the fingers) & the fielder should be able to pick the ball up (in control of the ball).

"The act of making the catch shall start from the time when the ball first comes into contact with a fielder's person and shall end when a fielder obtains complete control over both the ball and his/her own movement."

In order for a catch to be valid, the fielder must have complete control over the ball. This means the ball should not touch the ground before the fielder gains full control. If the ball touches the ground before the fielder has complete control, it is usually considered not out, and the batsman continues to bat.

The above law should clear any suspicions, it's a clear not out.
Not surprised by the low iq peeps here saying that a catch can be considered right even if ball touches the ground.
Making their own cricket rules ,lol. Matlab no need of any source or law bas jo aaye man mai bol do.