Duleep Trophy 2023

Just now, vvvslaxman said:

He is an all rounder too. Has 14 centuries i checked. 

last 3-4 years, he has done quite poorly with bat (an avg of 25 if I had to guess). but his bowling has been at a diff level. if Ashwin was injured and we need an offie in India for just one series (note the underlined part; this is not in general), I would pick saxena in a heartbeat over sundar and jayant yadav for bowling.

1 hour ago, Vijy said:

yes, there are quote selections, but I think saxena merited a selection. best domestic spinner in last 7-8 years by far

Also Saxena has a good record as opener.

A guy who is a opener,can bowl as a main spinner should have been selected in the Duleep  Trophy on the basis of his performance in Ranji Trophy.

40 minutes ago, tweaker said:

A guy who is a opener,can bowl as a main spinner should have been selected in the Duleep  Trophy on the basis of his performance in Ranji Trophy.

not in the past few years. I have seen him - he mostly plays at 6 or 7 now

45 minutes ago, tweaker said:

Saxena played for MI in the ipl way back when. Had to do a double take to see if it is the same one who played in the CL final for them back in 2010 I think. 

Have compiled the records manually for Jalaj Saxena starting with 2015/16 Ranji season.

Matches:  51

Wickets: 244

Bowl Avg: 20.43

Runs scored: 2347

Batting Avg: 31.29 [mostly because his batting avg from 2019 was only 10-20 every season]

To reiterate what I wrote earlier, if Ashwin was injured and we need an offie in India for just one series (note the underlined part; this is not in general), I would pick Saxena in a heartbeat over other offies like sundar and jayant yadav for bowling.

Edited by Vijy
6 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

I mean in domestic if someone performs and delivers (as against repeatedly failing)  consistently nothing wrong in giving them a chance. I am not talking about Saxena alone. I don't know how many wickets he took in Ranji. But looking at the squad it seems like quota distribution. Goa captain is part of South zone. He is 30 years old. His records are less than impressive. Sai Kishore/Sundar are other spin option. Sundar being the all rounder. He probably could have come in place of this Darshan Misal guy. 

https://www.espncricinfo.com/cricketers/darshan-misal-501345

it is more imperative in domestic than in international because domestic is the supply chain for international. if you have oldies in domestic, what are you going get for internationals?  

4 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

36 is not old when Indian captain is 36. That is an unfair. DK played for India at 37. 

Captain is playing international for last 16 years. we dont need a 36 year old debutant in the team. Neither did DK make his debut at 37, playing for India till 37 is not same as making his debut at 37 for India.   

2 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Captain is playing international for last 16 years. we dont need a 36 year old debutant in the team. Neither did DK make his debut at 37, playing for India till 37 is not same as making his debut at 37 for India.   

There are a lot of 37 years olds in the world playing first class without ever playing international. You pick the best team regardless. 

1 minute ago, abc said:

Wtf. why no broadcast?!? I read Manisankar Murasingh picked up a 5fer against Central Zone and was hoping to see the highlights.

All matches are recorded. Highlights will be available on BCCI site later on. No broadcast because there is no official broadcaster right now as Contract with Star is over.