Sadhguru Fake or Real?

Sean Bradley

15 minutes ago, Lord said:

all these babas are frauds. Latest being Bageshwar Dam 

Sadhguru doesn’t proclaim to perform miracles unlike these babas.  Not the same. He competes with SSRS (Art of Living), Osho many such gyaan bhandars. It’s one’s choice to follow.

You don’t know half of what the Miracle services of evangelicals claim they can cure, puts Bagheshwar Dham or Mouni baba to shame. 

1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

Sadhguru doesn’t proclaim to perform miracles unlike these babas.  Not the same. He competes with SSRS (Art of Living), Osho many such gyaan bhandars. It’s one’s choice to follow.

You don’t know half of what the Miracle services of evangelicals claim they can cure, puts Bagheshwar Dham or Mouni baba to shame. 

No doubt. There was a charlatan named Benny Hinn who was all over the telly when I first moved into the US. Pure comedy gold. He literally cured every ailment out there. The sad part was that there were desperate people who shelled out $$$$$ for an audience with him. He grew into this huge empire.  There are 100s like him, several of whom have enriched themselves with their lies - living in mansions, owning luxurious private planes and yachts, all amassed by one thing - giving false hope to desperate people.

https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-47675301

And during the pandemic, they helped spread the Covid-is-fake rhetoric along with anti-vaccine and anti-mask sentiments.  So many of these pastors/preachers themselves died of Covid.  Sadly, it has also been shown that Red America lost a disproportionate number of people to Covid; it is conceivable that a significant fraction of those deaths were due to people blindly following these a-holes. I absolutely despise these smooth-talkers who have no clue about anything to do with medical science, but simply trick people with their charisma and cult-of-personality.

https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavirus/global/coronavirus-us-evangelical-preachers-and-their-congregations-dying-from-covid19-in-droves/news-story/95551ef7e19be231bab80a00710080ef

Compared to these people, Sadhguru is innocuous.

2 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

yeah all of them are frauds/charlatans, taking advantage of people's difficulties or emotions. Some more worse than others

Sadguru though isn't just a gyaani or philosopher. He also makes such claims

1 hour ago, Lord said:

yeah all of them are frauds/charlatans, taking advantage of people's difficulties or emotions. Some more worse than others

I hadn't seen these (or possibly had but forgotten). My goodness, there are some real howlers in there. Again it is the dulcet voice, kind demeanor and well-honed salesman-like confidence act that gets people to trust and follow these charlatans. I am not intelligent enough to cut through all of these cult-leaders' tools and find a common thread of how they trick people.

6 hours ago, Lord said:

I should have put gyaan in “” as I was being sarcastic. There are multiple such videos where he is generally bsing. He had said AIT is true by looking at skin tone of North Indians and South Indians. Also he claimed that food exposed during lunar eclipse is bad for you and made some mumbo jumbo experiment.

Edited by coffee_rules

10 hours ago, Lord said:

I tried to look up definition of charlatan : @BacktoCricaddict and @Lord can confirm if this alligns to their understanding "

"a person falsely claiming to have a special knowledge or skill."

Neither have I come across him claiming to be a authority or having special knowledge or skill. 

So the video actually still doesn't confirm to me how Isha foundation takes advantage of vulnerable people. Does the yoga not work for it people ? It's yoga institution not philosophy class. He could have any views on any subject.

How does that impact the core courses ?

Edited by ravishingravi

9 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

I hadn't seen these (or possibly had but forgotten). My goodness, there are some real howlers in there. Again it is the dulcet voice, kind demeanor and well-honed salesman-like confidence act that gets people to trust and follow these charlatans. I am not intelligent enough to cut through all of these cult-leaders' tools and find a common thread of how they trick people.

Too bad that this charlatan gets called by scientists and scientific institutions for discussions. Maybe they haven't received the memo. Or they understand something which you don't.

He is not a scientist and never claimed to be one and doesn't have any obligation to put his thoughts through the scientific rigour approved by all the so called scientists. 

Edited by ravishingravi

11 hours ago, ravishingravi said:

I tried to look up definition of charlatan : @BacktoCricaddict and @Lord can confirm if this alligns to their understanding "

"a person falsely claiming to have a special knowledge or skill."

Neither have I come across him claiming to be a authority or having special knowledge or skill. 

So the video actually still doesn't confirm to me how Isha foundation takes advantage of vulnerable people. Does the yoga not work for it people ? It's yoga institution not philosophy class. He could have any views on any subject.

How does that impact the core courses ?

I was responding to a post that said evangelicals claim to cure serious health issues. In the video I posted, he claims to have cured asthma and fractured by 'sitting' for an hour.Obviously he's trying to convey he knows something even doctors don't.

20 minutes ago, Lord said:

I was responding to a post that said evangelicals claim to cure serious health issues. In the video I posted, he claims to have cured asthma and fractured by 'sitting' for an hour.Obviously he's trying to convey he knows something even doctors don't.

C’mon As if you don’t know the difference between the two? Evangelicals say we will cure your ailment if you convert. Sadhguru said he has cured himself. All the people I know that associate with Isha are inspired to houn to learn about meditation, peace of mind and healthy life. Nobody joins because they can get cure for their broken bones or impotence! I agree that Sadhguru says a lot of bs but I don’t think he has called to join him to be cured of Asthama

2 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

C’mon As if you don’t know the difference between the two? Evangelicals say we will cure your ailment if you convert. Sadhguru said he has cured himself. All the people I know that associate with Isha are inspired to houn to learn about meditation, peace of mind and healthy life. Nobody joins because they can get cure for their broken bones or impotence! I agree that Sadhguru says a lot of bs but I don’t think he has called to join him to be cured of Asthama

Its the same thing. If someone says they cured asthma etc in an hour, normal people will follow him thinking he can do it for them or teach them to do it too. Thats just basic human thinking.Isha is just a part of his persona and indeed that is good. But there's a lot of additional baggage. He claims to know about his past lives too :cantstop:

9 minutes ago, Lord said:

Its the same thing. If someone says they cured asthma etc in an hour, normal people will follow him thinking he can do it for them or teach them to do it too. Thats just basic human thinking.Isha is just a part of his persona and indeed that is good. But there's a lot of additional baggage. He claims to know about his past lives too :cantstop:

Agree to disagree. I have never come across anybody joining Isha to get their Asthama cured based on his claims. Moreover, his audience is mostly middle and upper middle class. Evangelicals attract the poor. 

1 minute ago, coffee_rules said:

Agree to disagree. I have never come across anybody joining Isha to get their Asthama cured based on his claims. Moreover, his audience is mostly middle and upper middle class. Evangelicals attract the poor. 

I already said Isha is doing good. However that's small part of him. How many videos have you seen of him himself doing yoga/meditation? There are way more videos of him giving gyan on random topics and that's why he's so popular.

Baba Ramdev also does yoga but not such bs.I'd rather follow him for yoga.

On 8/10/2023 at 11:22 AM, Vijy said:

yes, the bohm-JK conversations are fascinating; there's also written transcripts of these

Did you know about this? Was not a fan of Osho , but he’s been misrepresented a lot. Have to read more.

4 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Did you know about this? Was not a fan of Osho , but he’s been misrepresented a lot. Have to read more.

I have not studied Osho much either, but I do recognize most of the names therein, who were Theosophists or related to them (incl. JK in his early career). One of the brief, but fascinating, insight that I gleaned from JK (and later also reading the Bohm-JK transcripts) concerns the pilot-wave interpretation of QM. Overall, people can disagree with JK (even strongly), but his erudition was never in doubt, at least for me... It is rare to meet philosophers operating in the mystic realm who can simultaneously speak so cogently about modern physics.

Edited by Vijy