Sadhguru Fake or Real?

Sean Bradley

Dear ICFers,

Wish to have your take on Sadhguru. A man with not so clean past, he had allegations of killing his wife and cremating her body in a jiffy and declare it as a Samadhi. An fir was filed against him by his own FIL and accused him of a murder.

Man is accused of robbing forest lands, taking over elephant corridors, building an artificial lake and building an entire empire out of nothing.

Evades taxes by calling his organisation an NPO. Accepts hefty donations in return, have thousands of volunteers working for him for absolutely free..

Lives a rich lifestyle, rides expensive bikes, expensive cars, helicopters.

Travels around the world. Claimed to have self treated his asthma, reversed his knee fracture.

Mostly have a heavy PR working for himself.

Want to know what's your take on a Self Proclaimed God Man? 

https://youtube.com/watch?v=6tozeaDnki8&feature=share

I have been to his ashram and many times and I can  point by point put down those accusations. But it has been done already so many times. Perhaps you haven't kept yourself updates.  Court verdicts and affidavits are in public record. 

The only negative experience I had was commercialization if certain aspects of our civilization that I feel need to be handled delicately. 

6 hours ago, ravishingravi said:

I have been to his ashram and many times and I can  point by point put down those accusations. But it has been done already so many times. Perhaps you haven't kept yourself updates.  Court verdicts and affidavits are in public record. 

The only negative experience I had was commercialization if certain aspects of our civilization that I feel need to be handled delicately. 

Accusations of elephant corridors and land accusations might be debatable. But by no means he was free from the accusation made by his wife's family of murdering her.

Infact the case was closed because there was no body and no post mortem.

Commercialization in itself is an indication that the interest was something else. He himself has claimed many a times that he has never read any scriptures. May of his quotes and stories he reads out have been directly copied from Osho.

I used to follow him back in the days, but his credibility has definitely taken a hit atleast for me.

Edited by Sean Bradley

34 minutes ago, Sean Bradley said:

Accusations of elephant corridors and land accusations might be debatable. But by no means he was free from the accusation made by his wife's family of murdering her.

Infact the case was closed because there was no body and no post mortem.

Commercialization in itself is an indication that the interest was something else. He himself has claimed many a times that he has never read any scriptures. May of his quotes and stories he reads out have been directly copied from Osho.

I used to follow him back in the days, but his credibility has definitely taken a hit atleast for me.

No the elephant corridor is not debatable. Unless you want to debate just for the sake of it. Unless you have specific evidence in which part of which forest is encroached, it just nuisance value. On Google map, anyone can check and find the specific encroachment. I have been there and checked this. 

On wife's death, sure it's possible. But innocent till proven guilty and unless you have evidence to contrary it is just gossip. And if you have specific evidence, you should place it before court and not here. 

On commercialization, you misunderstood my point. Isha takes care of all the surrounding villagers including supporting their families and children's education for free. These initiatives don't happen for free. Every well being centre has to pay for it's people and facilities. Internet commentators don't fund them. 

My issue was specific to certain stuff like Rudraksh. I don't believe it should be sold over the counter. It's an ethical issue for me. 

Edited by ravishingravi

8 hours ago, jf1gp_1 said:

When did he claim that ? 

I like him and what he says, much better than the likes of ravi shankar etc

I don’t like him and his views on Hinduism or what he calls spiritually is coming out of an empty vessel. But his other allegations are of course ill placed and are mainly because of his popularity. dmk goons don’t like growing popularity of Hindu religion in their state.

His views on Yoga or Shivratri not being connected to Hinduism is doing more harm than good as it get usurped and digested into something which it is not. 

I agree that he is at least making religion popular among 20s-30s age group which is what is missing in Hindus. I like the means maybe not the end! 

2 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

I don’t like him and his views on Hinduism or what he calls spiritually is coming out of an empty vessel. But his other allegations are of course ill placed and are mainly because of his popularity. dmk goons don’t like growing popularity of Hindu religion in their state.

His views on Yoga or Shivratri not being connected to Hinduism is doing more harm than good as it get usurped and digested into something which it is not. 

I agree that he is at least making religion popular among 20s-30s age group which is what is missing in Hindus. I like the means maybe not the end! 

I think if the larger cause is propogation and spread of Dhamma, then we need different strands. There is a more cultural / missionary way of Iskcon on which I also admire. There is a clarity there which is not normal for complex civilizational culture. 

Sadhguru has a different strand which is based on really technical yoga. This is the core and rest is decoration. For cultures which have great aversion to religion, it won't be possible to induct them if this is called out as Hindu / Religious practice. It's better to sell it like a technology and once they are in, they happily endorse and do all our rituals more dedicated than us. 

Buddha, Krishna, Adi Shankara, Mahavir. They all took different approaches but the goal was the same. This civilization will not survive through conversions. This can only be done through induction and inclusion. 

@op I recommended osho to one of my friends, he has been totally hooked....oshos voice is the greatest hypnosis, greatest analgesic (pain reliever), greatest sleeping pill, greatest relaxant, greatest meditation assistant the world has ever had..... Not even talking about the content, an ocean of knowledge, but just the voice... possibly the most marvelous creation of God ever.

I have heard Sadhguru as well.. I like him but not sure about his spiritual experiences, as he seems cocky many times... you could try J. Krishnamurthy, an enlightened soul imho...

3 hours ago, randomGuy said:

@op I recommended osho to one of my friends, he has been totally hooked....oshos voice is the greatest hypnosis, greatest analgesic (pain reliever), greatest sleeping pill, greatest relaxant, greatest meditation assistant the world has ever had..... Not even talking about the content, an ocean of knowledge, but just the voice... possibly the most marvelous creation of God ever.

I have heard Sadhguru as well.. I like him but not sure about his spiritual experiences, as he seems cocky many times... you could try J. Krishnamurthy, an enlightened soul imho...

Indeed Osho was way ahead of his times. He is better in Hindi. It's also clear that Osho before he became global superstar was different from the one which most know now. Unbelievable clarity. Krishnamurthy is pure intellectual dissection. Don't know how many people are capable of following him. Prashant Acharya seems to be in the same vein with absolute command on his topics especially advaita Vedanta which is so difficult to explain. 

On 8/6/2023 at 4:05 PM, ravishingravi said:

Indeed Osho was way ahead of his times. He is better in Hindi. It's also clear that Osho before he became global superstar was different from the one which most know now. Unbelievable clarity. Krishnamurthy is pure intellectual dissection. Don't know how many people are capable of following him. Prashant Acharya seems to be in the same vein with absolute command on his topics especially advaita Vedanta which is so difficult to explain. 

He is a pretty lucid speaker. I had the good fortune to meet him and david bohm, and chat with them both in the past.

He is alright. Doesn't seem to be a predator unlike some other gurus/Babas. He is not preaching hatred against anyone, and is drawing in crowds from diverse backgrounds. Fluency in English, a good sense of humor, doing "cool" things like dancing, playing golf, volleyball etc and slick marketing is helping him to stay relevant. I don't believe in any Guru but there are people who seem comforted by his words and look up to him for guidance. Whatever floats their boat I guess. 

Depends on what you mean by fake or real. If you're looking for someone who will miraculously solve your life problems, he is fake. If you're looking for someone who has the answer to all questions in science and medicine, he is fake. If you're looking for someone to give you some nuggets of common wisdom and make you feel better for some time, he is real.

I don’t know or care about the personal allegations whether he killed his wife or not, but Isha foundation or he has no right to administer a deeksha of brahmacharya (celibacy ) or yogi to 100s of teenage disciples who are still forming a world view. That is indoctrination in my book.