Gukesh wins World Chess Candidates 2024. Becomes youngest ever contender for World Chess Championship crown.

rangeelaraja

1 minute ago, Gollum said:

Both very young, expect them to face each other in world title matches in the future. Like earlier days when Soviet/Russian players used to face each other for the crown. 

Unrelenting dominance. Like our Ind hockey from 20s to 50s.

12 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

You nerds :hahaha:

Professional chess is very hard. These super GMs have to work very hard. To me, it is very natural to think that these guys lack social skills...fabi has a well round, very pleasant personality, super talented 2800 rated player...must get universal appreciation.:icflove:

2 hours ago, randomGuy said:

Professional chess is very hard. These super GMs have to work very hard. To me, it is very natural to think that these guys lack social skills...fabi has a well round, very pleasant personality, super talented 2800 rated player...must get universal appreciation.:icflove:

was joking man that too at ICFers not the chess players. All the best to future and current GMs from India :nice:

3 hours ago, Mariyam said:

My guess is:

If Nakamura goes for the kill, Gukesh will win.

If Nakamura plays for a draw, it will be a draw.

If Gukesh goes for the kill, I'm unsure of the outcome. But I'm tilted towards a draw in this scenario too.

Can't see Nakamura not going all in, probably biggest game of his career. And going by his previous games Gukesh will have his prep tested. 

This has been one of the best candidates in the last 10 years,

Typically +3 has been good enough to win the tournament.

This time - 3 players were at +3 before the final round, Gukesh was +4   --- and still anything could happen.

Gukesh is the worthy winner.

The only game he lost vs. Firouza -- he was winning that game too.

I believe the World Championship vs. Ding Liren is in November this year.

Although Ding Liren is easily the most likeable, humble and gentle chess champion --- there will be a huge geopolitical aspect to this.

INDIA vs. CHINA.

India's chess legacy is much stronger than China in men's chess - thanks to VIshy Anand - 5 time world champion.

Ding Liren is the 1st ever world champion from China in men's chess. 

And Gukesh is out there to take forward Anand's incredible legacy.

Choice of seconds, training partners etc....all will be a hugely important. 

6 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Move 38/39 when Fabi got the bishop in front of the queen, that’s when it all changed. He gave a pawn and his bishop for a rook.

I was nervous the whole time before Fabi squandered a hugely advantageous position - because  he is a very strong rapid chess player - and Gukesh would have been the underdog in the rapid tiebeaks.

But Gukesh is the worthy winner.   +4 in such a strong tournament like Candidates is something even Carlsen has not been able to achieve. 

11 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Just now woke up. Amazing news, what an achievement by a 17 year old. Proud of Gukesh.

The guy just has no nerves. Carlsen-esq in crunch moments in must win games. Apart from that unfortunate loss to Firouzja that @rangeelaraja alluded to, he hasn't missed a move I think. Ridiculous for a 17 yo