Rohit Sharma will have to ensure everyone in team knows they don't own batting positions: Ravi Shastri

Rohit Sharma will have to ensure everyone in team knows they don't own batting positions: Ravi Shastri

Former India coach Ravi Shastri has backed captain Rohit Sharma ahead of the World Cup 2023 and Asia Cup 2023 and predicted that the 36-year-old will be in his element on the big stage.

Ravi Shastri has also given his suggestion to Rohit, saying that the 36-year-old will have to be flexible with the batting positions of his players and make sure that none of them think they own a particular spot.

ravi-shastri-suggestion-to-rohit-sharma-batting-position

“I think he is a seasoned captain. Come the World Cup, he will up the ante. Bilaterals are one thing. When it comes to big tournaments, you switch on in a different manner. He knows the nucleus of the players. It is about him ensuring that everyone in that batting lineup knows that they don't own batting positions,” Shastri told Star Sports.

"You've got to be flexible with your batting ladder. No matter who the name of the player is. You do not own positions. You got to have flexibility. That is paramount, and use the right guys against the right oppositions.

“The think tank would have thought about a group of 18 or 20 players at least four or five months before the World Cup and then given opportunities to each one of them, kept an eye on the injuries too, you know, whichever players who were part of the mix who got injuries and just come back, and then pick the right guys,” Shastri added.

India are racing against time to fix their middle-order issues due to the injuries of KL Rahul and Suryakumar Yadav, and failures of Suryakumar Yadav in the ODI format.

Shastri has recently also said that he was in favour of Virat Kohli batting at number four in the 2019 World Cup. 

I would have played Tilak in place of Jadeja also Jaiswal at the top and Kishan in place of hahul. Ask Jaiswal and Varma to cover 6 the bowling options. I would have also ensure bandya dont get easy escape by bowling few overs whenever he wants. Below would be my wc xi

Jaiswal(Bowl)

Gill

Kishan

Rohit/Kohli

Kohli/Rohit

Tilak (Bowl)

Bandya/Sky (Bowl)

Kuldeep 

Bumrah

Shami/Krishna

Siraj