Bihar caste survey released: OBCs, EBCs together account for 63% of total population

Singh bling

15 hours ago, cowboysfan said:

I despise reservations but got to admit BJP is screwed here,other states will come out with similar surveys before the election.If they are smart they will give 50% of the seats to OBCs across the board.

What's your solution to end caste based discrimation?

7 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

What's your solution to end caste based discrimation?

IMO the only way is massive Education improvement.I am not talking about more reservations either,we need a huge improvement is the level of early education.almost all kids from small towns around India have a big disadvantage because they starting from behind compared to city kids.this may sound simplistic but its a start and we have made huge improvement to combat Discrimination since independence.

9 minutes ago, cowboysfan said:

IMO the only way is massive Education improvement.I am not talking about more reservations either,we need a huge improvement is the level of early education.almost all kids from small towns around India have a big disadvantage because they starting from behind compared to city kids.this may sound simplistic but its a start and we have made huge improvement to combat Discrimination since independence.

My parents tell me that so called lower castes weren't allowed inside the village itself, let alone allowing them to enter any house. Back in 1990s when I used to village, they used to live on outskirts of village and had no access to any infra in village.

Fast forward to 2023, now people are educated and yet everyone wants to marry in their caste most of the time. Even now educated parents have mindset that they are ready to marry their kids in any caste as long as it's not lower caste.

4 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

My parents tell me that so called lower castes weren't allowed inside the village itself, let alone allowing them to enter any house. Back in 1990s when I used to village, they used to live on outskirts of village and had no access to any infra in village.

Fast forward to 2023, now people are educated and yet everyone wants to marry in their caste most of the time. Even now educated parents have mindset that they are ready to marry their kids in any caste as long as it's not lower caste.

I had neighbors whose grandparents would not let lower caste people enter their kitchen. 

With a straight face they told me they are dirty. We as a society have issues.

Only way to remove caste discrimination is to remove all caste based affirmative action. Reduce the importance of caste completely. This is only entrenching the caste system more with everyone including rich landed people claiming victimhood. 

6 minutes ago, bharathh said:

Only way to remove caste discrimination is to remove all caste based affirmative action. Reduce the importance of caste completely. This is only entrenching the caste system more with everyone including rich landed people claiming victimhood. 

People think caste discrimination is education and economic issue. 

Most of the Indians carry caste has integral part of their identity. Unless that is removed, this discrimination will remain forever.

4 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

People think caste discrimination is education and economic issue. 

Most of the Indians carry caste has integral part of their identity. Unless that is removed, this discrimination will remain forever.

That will not get removed through reverse discrimination. 

3 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

this is sadly true even now.Caste is still king even in cities in case the marriage.

Folks here are conflating 10 different issues. Question to be asked. Equality of opportunity, do we want ? Yes. Equality of outcome, for me, no ?

Education. If equality of opportunity is the criteria , are the reservations helping in achieving this ? I think so, yes. But now we need to make this criteria based on financial status. I have adopted three girls from slums and I can see how unfair it is for them to on the same criteria as another SCST candidate with parents earning more than 50 lakhs. 

Job. If the education criteria is being , then the support has to end there. The base has been somewhat evened up and now we have to let the individual make it. No reservation for sure. 

Discrimination in society. Has the discrimination increased or reduced ? What's the trend ? My sense is that with growing urbanization it's only reducing. Either way it is not job of the govt to forcefully make people like each other. Or agree with each. This will have even worse second effects.