India vs Netherlands - warm up - Thiruvananthapuram

57 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Oh no.

We missed out on some much needed practice against the cricketing super power that is the Netherlands.

What will we do now? :(( 

That's not the point. 

This entire tournament has been a management shitshow.   Host team getting zero warmup game time is caused by weather but it was entirely up to BCCI to select where India will play their warmups.  They could have easily picked a location that is less likely to get rain.  The planning is horrible - just across the board.

BCCI is a multi-billion dollar organization literally drowning in profits.  The WC planning and organization has been like the neighbor's shaadi hastily organized in the common area behind a building at the last minute.

14 minutes ago, AuxiliA said:

Most of our squad has been playing as a team for a decade. How much more 'clarity' do we need now.

Just hope everyone remains fit till the end of the WC. 

Are you serious?

- Is it 7-4 or 6-5?

- Do we get Pandya to bowl 10 overs or have another bowler?

- If another bowler, should he be a pacer or spinner?

- If he is a pacer, should it be Shardul types to give balance or Shami the wicket taker?

So many questions.

Just now, sensible-indian said:

Are you serious?

- Is it 7-4 or 6-5?

- Do we get Pandya to bowl 10 overs or have another bowler?

- If another bowler, should he be a pacer or spinner?

- If he is a pacer, should it be Shardul types to give balance or Shami the wicket taker?

So many questions.

Those aren't 'many questions'. Every team has their issues. We have a more settled team this time around than the last 2 WCs. 

And it's not like playing a practice match against an associate team is gonna answer all those questions.

13 minutes ago, AuxiliA said:

Those aren't 'many questions'. Every team has their issues. We have a more settled team this time around than the last 2 WCs. 

And it's not like playing a practice match against an associate team is gonna answer all those questions.

Those are serious questions cos its not a like for like replacement.

The composition changes with each player and so does the team strategy... so we need to test.

Its not like we can't test in the main games but warm ups would have helped.

There is no way this is a settled team YET.

We have a better squad this time around.

Not a better settled team.

42 minutes ago, sandeep said:

That's not the point. 

This entire tournament has been a management shitshow.   Host team getting zero warmup game time is caused by weather but it was entirely up to BCCI to select where India will play their warmups.  They could have easily picked a location that is less likely to get rain.  The planning is horrible - just across the board.

BCCI is a multi-billion dollar organization literally drowning in profits.  The WC planning and organization has been like the neighbor's shaadi hastily organized in the common area behind a building at the last minute.

Sure the tournament is mismanaged. That is a different discussion altogether. 

BCCI will pay for the mismanagement. Perhaps they already are. The buzz around the tournament is just not at the level it was in 2011. Hardly any excitement and we are a few days away from the first game.

However, my comments were on the sense of loss that many on this thread have over missing (a) practice game/s. It’s not that big a deal. These rains are unseasonal. I am made to believe even for Kerala. And one doesn’t study 2 hours before an exam. 

Let’s assume that we got to play the 2 games, I would still say that BCCI’s organisation of the event is just as shambolic.

9 minutes ago, sensible-indian said:

The composition changes with each player and so does the team strategy... so we need to test.

What then is a settled team? 

Generally, these things should be decided far in advance. Not 3 days before the tournament. 

Post the 2011 WC win Sehwag was interviewed and he said that it was in Dumbulla in 2010 after some tournament that the then coach Kirsten decided on his side for the WC. And the rest, as we know, is history. 

Trying to ‘settle’ the team now would just lead to further indigestion.

6 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

What then is a settled team? 

Generally, these things should be decided far in advance. Not 3 days before the tournament. 

Post the 2011 WC win Sehwag was interviewed and he said that it was in Dumbulla in 2010 after some tournament that the then coach Kirsten decided on his side for the WC. And the rest, as we know, is history. 

Trying to ‘settle’ the team now would just lead to further indigestion.

What is a settled team?

A team where the composition has been decided, players know their exact role.

In our case, EVEN our batsmen have to change their batting strategy depending on how long our tail is.

Role clarity comes when strategy is locked in.

Agreed. But this is the best we can do.

I am not sure of the timeline but I think our approach got better since Agarkar has joined as the chief selector.

And of course, the obligatory point:

It ain't about Netherlands. It's the Eng game that we missed out on.

Edited by sensible-indian

“ I’m still finding my feet. Let me get well settled and then let’s get married” 

Said many a guy to his girl.  

cliched as it may sound, ‘settled’ is not a destination. It’s is the manifestation of a state of mind that you develop during the journey. 

We played the Asia cup. We played 3 games against the Aussies. We are ready for the WC. 

Edited by Mariyam
5 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

“ I’m still finding my feet. Let me get well settled and then let’s get married” 

Said many a guy to his girl.  

cliched as it may sound, ‘settled’ is not a destination. It’s is the manifestation of a state of mind that you develop during the journey. 

We played the Asia cup. We played 3 games against the Aussies. We are ready for the WC. 

Settled ain't the destination.

A poor team can be settled and a good team can be chaotic (with many options to choose from).

But in sporting terms, settled means everyone knows what is expected of them and what they need to work on.

Take CSK or MI.

- If I remember correctly, MI in 2020 had given instructions to Ishan & Surya that they must bat till 14th over after which they gotta slog or get out and let the hitters (Pandya bros and Pollard) take over.

- Dube was average but his role in CSK was sooo clear (just bash the spinners) that he ended up playing an important role in their tournament win.

3 minutes ago, sensible-indian said:

There's a long league stage before knockouts. We will figure out best XI out. We are the King of bilaterals and league matches. So don't see us missing the semis. 

We definitely have a more settled XI this time.

Rohit

Gill

Kohli

Iyer

Rahul

Pandya

Kuldeep

Bumrah

Siraj

9 players are absolute lock if fit. They all are in good form atm. Only issues are with Jadeja and Shardul.

Even with Jadeja it's more a case of lack of form than lack of ability. At home he's still a good all-round asset to have. 

12 minutes ago, AuxiliA said:

There's a long league stage before knockouts. We will figure out best XI out. We are the King of bilaterals and league matches. So don't see us missing the semis. 

We definitely have a more settled XI this time.

Rohit

Gill

Kohli

Iyer

Rahul

Pandya

Kuldeep

Bumrah

Siraj

9 players are absolute lock if fit. They all are in good form atm. Only issues are with Jadeja and Shardul.

Even with Jadeja it's more a case of lack of form than lack of ability. At home he's still a good all-round asset to have. 

That's a good point and I agree that most of the players are locked.

But that number 6 and number 7 gap is so huge (with different kinda players) that it changes the whole team strategy.

- If there are 5 bowlers, then the batting strategy of our middle order will go conservative.

- If its Shardul, batsmen will bat in a certain way. If it's Shami, batsmen will bat in a different way (pyschological aspect of a long tail)

- If Jaddu/Ashwin are playing, are they expected to bowl defensively or attack? If they are asked to attack and get carted by the Aussies, do they get dropped or will they get chances to get into the zone?

The team is yet to decide which way they wanna go and that will determine how the rest 9 bat/bowl.

Settled means you know exactly what you gonna do so players know they won't get dropped after a bad game and hence play with more freedom.

As for the XI:

Always said that we have the IPL style league stages for the testing to be done.

It's not like Eng warm up was make or break. But we could have benefitted a lot before our first game.