What should we expect from the Chennai pitch vs Australia? And other questions ...

Our first match is less than 4 days away against the mighty Aussies and the jitters are palpable 10,000 miles away.

The last time Team India played an ODI in Chennai?  March 2023 against the Aussies. 

They pretty much had the same batting as they have now (except this time Iyer replaces SKY). Siraj, Shami, Axar, Jadeja, Kuldeep and Pandya were the bowlers.

Aus won by 21 runs (269 to 248).  Should we expect the same kind of 250 - 270 pitch?  Or will it be a true belter just for the world cup? 

What about toss and the effect of dew?  I would expect a D/N match to have significant dew in humid Chennai.  Best to bat second then?

How about rain chances? From what I can see, it is almost nil. Clear and warm.

Overall, not knowing anything about the Ozzie team, I feel better about India's chances compared to March 2023. Iyer is an upgrade over SKY in ODIs. Ashwin over Axar may be an upgrade? Bumrah over Shami is a wash.

Let's talk, ICF!!

3 spinners would be a travesty. Especially if we are bowling first.  In fact, 3 spinners is not justifiable in most venues.In ODI's wrist spin has worked well here. And generally, spin has worked better in the 2nd innings. If we lose the toss and play 3 spinners, we'll be at a disadvantage . See India vs OZ here at the same venue earlier this year.

1 hour ago, Nikhil_cric said:

3 spinners would be a travesty. Especially if we are bowling first.  In fact, 3 spinners is not justifiable in most venues.In ODI's wrist spin has worked well here. And generally, spin has worked better in the 2nd innings. If we lose the toss and play 3 spinners, we'll be at a disadvantage . See India vs OZ here at the same venue earlier this year.

Are they doing super-subs or anything so teams can swap players during the match? 

This is a conversation for another day, but I really think ICC should allow teams to announce their XI after the toss. It will add another strategic angle and level the playing field a bit if there are weather- and venue-related issues like dew

1 minute ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Are they doing super-subs or anything so teams can swap players during the match? 

This is a conversation for another day, but I really think ICC should allow teams to announce their XI after the toss. It will add another strategic angle and level the playing field a bit if there are weather- and venue-related issues like dew

Agree on picking playing XI after the toss part. Don't understand the need to pick an XI before that especially in an LOI game especailly now that we know how much conditions can vary.

No super sub or anything.