Supreme court turns down same sex marriage and the right of same sex couples to adopt kids

bharathh

I would disagree a little on the marriage bit. I think marriage is a binding force for families. Family is the nucleus for society. Without that (IMO) society falls apart. I think the African Americans are case in point for this. 

Through incentivising marriage the govt ensures a healthier society. In fact, when the govt tries to meddle with families as the Chinese did they end up causing adverse issues to society. Most of EU and NA is going through similar issues as fertility rates have been plummeting leading to a ticking time bomb.

1 hour ago, bharathh said:

Thoughts? 

Personally I feel that all Indians should have the same rights to marry and adopt children regardless of their orientation. Still, I feel that as a society we are not yet ready for same sex marriage. Maybe try again in a few years. 

Still some positive steps towards decriminialising homosexuality. 

Right to marry. I am not sure. We are not there yet and that should not be north star anyway. Decriminalization is the first major step. 

What is difficult for Indian society to digest:

• Homosexual pairs living together and having sex?
  • Or marriage?

If Indian society already allowed homosexuals to live together, then there would have been no problem if they marry too. 

In my opinion, today it was only a POLITICAL decision from SC. It happened due to the political stance of the BJP. 

And the argument that the society is not ready for marriage, is only a lame excuse. 

Homosexual pairs are also not allowed to adopt children. This is again a bad decision. 

Unfortunately, there is hardly any difference in the way of thinking of different radical religious groups, whether they are radical Muslims, radical Christians, radical Jews, or radical Hindus. 

1 hour ago, Lord said:

Regressive as expected.

I think west has took a bit far with this.  I see articles where the kids are taken to LGBTQ parades where naked people perform which is bad. This has been getting a bit of push back in west. India doesn’t has to copy west. I think we need to read the whole judgement before complaining about it.

Just now, gattaca said:

I think west has took a bit far with this.  I see articles where the kids are taken to LGBTQ parades where naked people perform which is bad. This has been getting a bit of push back in west. India doesn’t has to copy west. I think we need to read the whole judgement before complaining about it.

Yeah no need to copy all that.

But relationship between two consenting adults should not bother anyone.

1 minute ago, Lord said:

Yeah no need to copy all that.

But relationship between two consenting adults should not bother anyone.

I think that is what has been accomplished today. 

What has not is the legalization of marriage and adoption which has huge ramifications in the law. In a country where different religions have different civil codes - it's not something that can just be granted. 

6 minutes ago, gattaca said:

From what I read there was no explanation offered. Seems like a political 3-2 decision.

Only thing I can praise the court for is that they went out of way to protect homosexuality. Still a terrible decision.

Edited by Khota

5 minutes ago, Khota said:

From what I read there was no explanation offered. Seems like a political 3-2 decision.

Only thing I can praise the court for is that they went out of way to protect homosexuality. Still a terrible decision.

Political ? Supreme Court has all left leaning judges. It is very clear from recent judgments they have given. They keep opposing the govt in appointing judges.

1 hour ago, Alam_dar said:

What is difficult for Indian society to digest:

• Homosexual pairs living together and having sex?
  • Or marriage?

If Indian society already allowed homosexuals to live together, then there would have been no problem if they marry too. 

In my opinion, today it was only a POLITICAL decision from SC. It happened due to the political stance of the BJP. 

And the argument that the society is not ready for marriage, is only a lame excuse. 

Homosexual pairs are also not allowed to adopt children. This is again a bad decision. 

Unfortunately, there is hardly any difference in the way of thinking of different radical religious groups, whether they are radical Muslims, radical Christians, radical Jews, or radical Hindus. 

Lol you have no idea. BJP doesn’t give decisions. This is Supreme Court. This is not Pakistan we are talking about. 

16 minutes ago, gattaca said:

Lol you have no idea. BJP doesn’t give decisions. This is Supreme Court. This is not Pakistan we are talking about. 

Comparing Secular India to Muslim Pakistan and then putting the burden of Muslim Pakistani crimes and flaws on my shoulders is a futile practice. 

And the reality of Secular India is that the BJP has already infiltrated all State Institutions, making them weak by using them for political reasons. 

Yes, SC and Indian Defence Forces are perhaps the last State Institutions, which seem to be free of this infiltration. 

Anyhow, not all SC judges are free of influence by the BJP. en

I still doubt that this is perhaps a political decision by 3-2 , while it does not fit merit (as I stated above if living together and having sex is permissible, then marriage should not be a problem). 

To all calling this a regressive step, listen to the arguments against the marriage, it has repercussions to the way marriages are defined and used in property laws, succession etc. Consenting adults can fcuk around all they want legally now, but so many laws need to be amended to give them same rights for marriage and adoption. Also, the west is more prepared with domestic partnerships clauses even without marriage between opposite sex (live-in) . The volume of people affected by this refusal is minuscule in India to make it a national outrage. Let’s get all rapists indicted first.There are more worrying aspects of our society.

1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

To all calling this a regressive step, listen to the arguments against the marriage, it has repercussions to the way marriages are defined and used in property laws, succession etc. Consenting adults can fcuk around all they want legally now, but so many laws need to be amended to give them same rights for marriage and adoption. Also, the west is more prepared with domestic partnerships clauses even without marriage between opposite sex (live-in) . The volume of people affected by this refusal is minuscule in India to make it a national outrage. Let’s get all rapists indicted first.There are more worrying aspects of our society.

Yeah legality of the relationship or legal recognition is a very complex matter. Especially in India where you have different marriage lawd by religion. First get UCC and then bring this under it's ambit. Anyway for me marriage was not the immediate goal. 

5 hours ago, gattaca said:

Political ? Supreme Court has all left leaning judges. It is very clear from recent judgments they have given. They keep opposing the govt in appointing judges.

If homosexuality is not a crime, why oppose marriage. What legal reason did they give? 

And government has no business appointing judges.