India Batting first and bowling under lights still untested

Need4Speed

India is playing very nice cricket at the moment..seems everything is working well..however...

with all the chases resulting into victory....India Batting first and bowling under lights still untested...

I would like..if we dont get a chance in next few matches...then after ensuring semis..we should bat first too..and test...our first inning batting total...pacing innings while setting the target..also...how the bowlers would bowl under lights\dew..agains teams who have have depth in batting..?

Additionally..per law of averages..and a "Totaka" lol...I would like India to lose a match before KOs start..it will tough to consecutively win 11 matches on the run with final..its not impossible..but very tough to go with winning streak like that in such a lengthy and multi team tournament..

Now I open the floor for further discussion..thoughts..views..criticism..analysis..whatever....

Edited by Need4Speed
22 minutes ago, Serpico said:

I want us to set a target to South Africa and England to really test our batsmens intent and bowlers capabilities. Even if we lose both those matches, its fine

Against Nz, I just want us to win to get that monkey off of our backs 

yup plus nz win almost guarantees a semi spot as we won't lose 4/4

13 minutes ago, deathmonger said:

yup plus nz win almost guarantees a semi spot as we won't lose 4/4

Highly Likely..Pandya may not be playing that match...we may have good bowling unit then..

Shami Bumrah Siraj Kuldeep Jadeja..  Sharma and Iyer to do 6th bowlers job if required..

In batting SKY replaces Pandya..

Pandya resting may affect our balance...however..we wont be carrying Shardul too..

on their day..SKY or Shami are match winners...so who knows..it may work out well..in Dharamsala..as pace bowling trio is good for us..

15 minutes ago, Need4Speed said:

Highly Likely..Pandya may not be playing that match...we may have good bowling unit then..

Shami Bumrah Siraj Kuldeep Jadeja..  Sharma and Iyer to do 6th bowlers job if required..

In batting SKY replaces Pandya..

Pandya resting may affect our balance...however..we wont be carrying Shardul too..

on their day..SKY or Shami are match winners...so who knows..it may work out well..in Dharamsala..as pace bowling trio is good for us..

hope pitch is spicy and we have a tough match.

2002 NZ series was exorcised by Zaheer in 2003 WC.

6 hours ago, Need4Speed said:

India is playing very nice cricket at the moment..seems everything is working well..however...

with all the chases resulting into victory....India Batting first and bowling under lights still untested...

I would like..if we dont get a chance in next few matches...then after ensuring semis..we should bat first too..and test...our first inning batting total...pacing innings while setting the target..also...how the bowlers would bowl under lights\dew..agains teams who have have depth in batting..?

Additionally..per law of averages..and a "Totaka" lol...I would like India to lose a match before KOs start..it will tough to consecutively win 11 matches on the run with final..its not impossible..but very tough to go with winning streak like that in such a lengthy and multi team tournament..

Now I open the floor for further discussion..thoughts..views..criticism..analysis..whatever....

Time for loosing was before World Cup . God saved us with axar injury as we got ashwin who in my opinion was needed ( sundar vs ashwin - but one was needed. ) 

india is untested under lights bowling - I agree . But give credit to Rohit . He has played most unselfish knocks and that has now percolated down - Ayer , rahul and kohli and gill are all looking to dominate and hitting out and getting out sometimes . I believe if batting first , this will be useful - the go hard go fast approach . 

Winning xyz matches in a row - it’s a state of mind and remaining injury free and on that day getting team combo right . 

we are untested in one way - haven’t played against in form team New Zealand . Also England with ben stokes .

we missed out against Bangla - shakib being not fit was a big issue for them . But still bumrah has shown that he is the boss . 

going forward - 

pray team stays fit . 
pray we get team selections right 

pray our part timers rohit and kohli bowl a bit 

pray we get tested against nz , Eng and South Africa . We will loose to at least one of these teams ( likely against New Zealand or England ) 

Continuing a winning strategy makes sense if the WC were a group format with fewer number of games to be played. But due to round robin format, we run the risk of peaking too early and running out of luck at the most inconvenient time. Team India should be proactive and venture outside their comfort zone to fully prepare for testing situations in knockout games. 

9 hours ago, Need4Speed said:

It will happen in semi final.

Rohit will go early as is customary in KOs. Gill will play his usual classy shots vs top bowlers and shortly gift his wicket (not every team is Pak that will drop 2 chances).

Then load as usual will fall on Kohli who will go into his shell because of “match awareness”. Kela always reserved his kela  performance for KO. So Pandya and Iyer will rebuild with Kohli to 270/280 with valiant sixes from 6-8. 

Then second innings when India loses toss Advantage and gets to bowl with dew on flat tracks, India will realize that bowling was flattering to deceive as it always does before KOs. Bumrah and Jadeja will have their  “bad day” as they melt away in pressure. It will be down to heroic performers from Thakur and Pandya to keep India on it. Thakur because there is no pressure on him and opposition will over attack the dibbley dobler.  Pandya, if fit by then, will do well because he isn’t a mental midget. Baki Kuldeep Yadav will be seen off in dew conditions and Siraj’s “passionate” spells will not be enough to stop juggernaut like SA Eng or NZ. 

6 hours ago, Sharjah-Harjah said:

It will happen in semi final.

Rohit will go early as is customary in KOs. Gill will play his usual classy shots vs top bowlers and shortly gift his wicket (not every team is Pak that will drop 2 chances).

Then load as usual will fall on Kohli who will go into his shell because of “match awareness”. Kela always reserved his kela  performance for KO. So Pandya and Iyer will rebuild with Kohli to 270/280 with valiant sixes from 6-8. 

Then second innings when India loses toss Advantage and gets to bowl with dew on flat tracks, India will realize that bowling was flattering to deceive as it always does before KOs. Bumrah and Jadeja will have their  “bad day” as they melt away in pressure. It will be down to heroic performers from Thakur and Pandya to keep India on it. Thakur because there is no pressure on him and opposition will over attack the dibbley dobler.  Pandya, if fit by then, will do well because he isn’t a mental midget. Baki Kuldeep Yadav will be seen off in dew conditions and Siraj’s “passionate” spells will not be enough to stop juggernaut like SA Eng or NZ. 

That has usually been the template of failing in KOs or chasing too much and left armers killing the Indian chase in the start…

However,I am more concerned about the first scenario..and wanted to test it out against better teams before KOs..esp bowling..

We shud get atleast one chance before KOs..hopefully.

Yes, I feel India is most comfortable chasing a target. The big challenge will be when India have to defend a total. Siraj could be put under pressure, perhaps even the spinners could be dealt with if the batting team plays smartly. Then there will be more pressure on the ARs like Hardik or Shardul. The death bowling, barring Bumrah doesnt look great. Indian team have to look out for this scenario, because this is where they will be most vulnerable. India should look to play Shami on a regular basis instead of Shardul. Also, top order has to take more responsibility(play long innings), because the tail will be longer if we play Shami.

On 10/19/2023 at 4:11 PM, Need4Speed said:

we do need to chase. imagine if we are confronted with 340-350 thanks to monster hitting from klaasen & co

9 hours ago, kubrickian said:

The big challenge will be when India have to defend a total.

Big challenge would be to chase a big total, last two times we lost chasing in WC, last 5 actually - 96 vs SL, 03 vs Oz, 07 vs SL was almost a KO, 15 vs Oz then 19 vs NZ as well lost while chasing. In all except two games, 07 vs SL & 19 vs NZ, we were chasing well above par score. The point is bowlers generally lose us more games in LO, the biggest losses that I can remember are all mostly down to bowlers - 2017 CT, 2016 WT20, 2022 WT20, 2014 WT20 as well.

Edited by R!TTER
1 minute ago, R!TTER said:

Big challenge would be to chase a big total, last two times we lost chasing in WC, last 5 actually - 96 vs SL, 03 vs Oz, 07 vs SL was almost a KO, 15 vs Oz then 19 vs NZ as well lost while chasing. In all except two games, 07 vs SL & 19 vs NZ, we were chasing ab above par score. The point is bowlers generally lose us more games in LO, the biggest losses that I can remember are all mostly down to bowlers - 2017 CT, 2016 WT20, 2022 WT20, 2014 WT20 as well.

we need our bowlers to do well and keep their wits together. and then the batters need to play a bit carefully early on

43 minutes ago, Vijy said:

we do need to chase. imagine if we are confronted with 340-350 thanks to monster hitting from klaasen & co

We are chasing every match..just need some match where we can set total and try to defend it…we dont want this experience to start in KOs..and better be ready for everything we lose toss..

3 hours ago, Need4Speed said:

We are chasing every match..just need some match where we can set total and try to defend it…we dont want this experience to start in KOs..and better be ready for everything we lose toss..

chasing is a bigger issue for us than setting target IMO