Delhi choking again - Thank the Anndata

ravishingravi

4 hours ago, randomGuy said:

Kya bakwas hai? I live in Delhi. Delhi aqi was satisfactory all year aside from parali burning season

This is today's news -

Delhi-NCR Air Pollution: Supreme court asks Punjab government to stop stubble burning

TIMESOFINDIA

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/delhi/delhi-ncr-air-pollution-supreme-court-asks-punjab-government-to-stop-stubble-burning/articleshow/105030885.cms

Give me the number before and after. Yes stubble burning is a problem.

Edited by Khota

@ravishingravi

Let us get to the facts. 

This is a central government problem, not local.

Crop burning is wrong and the only way to solve it is to give more msp to farmers.

There is no way around it. It needs money.

Where does it say BJP? Moment, I think you could post ok and not so dumb, you surprise me.

Edited by Khota

5 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

This is your words ——.

Also, they have established if BJP comes to power in Delhi and Punjab it will go away magically.”

Read the sentence properly.  I am referring to bots as in "they".

32 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

BJP supporters. So you named BJP by association. 

Comprehension issues. I am stating that they claim when they come to power this will be resolved. I am not stating they are the cause of issue.

Teenagers are less sensitive than you.

Edited by Khota

On 11/6/2023 at 1:01 PM, Lord said:

Genuine question, and I am trying to understand logically without blaming/defending anyone.

If all the pollution is from Punjab only, why is Punjab itself not as much polluted? or was before the winds blew?

@Lord Cities have the problem starting from Kabul to Islamabad to Delhi. It can be attributed to weather conditions in middle East where from Dust comes to our part of world during winters.

I guess plain land and other parts, this dust gets absorbed by land water bodies trees and soil but as soon as it reached a city area, it starts getting recycled from Road to immediate environment and then back to Road.

On top when you add the local Industrial pollution it it allmost at the edge of getting declared as gas chamber. When you put Parali burning and fire crackers, Its impossible to get a grip over local environment.

So there should be two pronged approach.

1. Prevention- Parali burning, Reduced fire crackers during Diwali and Reduction in fumes from Industries and factories.

2. Find a mechanism to get the dust out of environment. Either via Rain or more waterbodies and green zones in surrounding areas and better waste management.

Most of above is expensive and they dont appeal to Voters. So AAP, Congress or anyone else other than BJP will never ever do that.

Above is honest answer and assessment

46 minutes ago, ravishingravi said:

He is a troll guys. 

You are the biggest troll on this forum. maybe a liar too. You whip up frenzy and hate.

Your dishonesty is shown in how you worded the topic and blamed farmers for it. Farmers are contributing but they are not the underline reason.

Mega troll.

22 hours ago, diga said:

Obviously this poster is a master of diversion/ detractions. You will never get a straight answer from him

Crop burning is contributing but not the root cause. In October AQI was poor and now it got worse. Why is not so bad in Punjab and Haryana? Their baseline numbers are not that bad. But this does not fit the narrative.

22 hours ago, diga said:

Obviously this poster is a master of diversion/ detractions. You will never get a straight answer from him

You hit the nail on its head. 

SC itself has said, even-odd is just optics, stubble burning is the root cause.

https://www.wionews.com/india-news/delhi-govt-to-consider-scs-remarks-over-odd-even-rule-after-latter-calls-it-mere-optics-656170

Edited by randomGuy

38 minutes ago, Khota said:

You are the biggest troll on this forum. maybe a liar too. You whip up frenzy and hate.

Your dishonesty is shown in how you worded the topic and blamed farmers for it. Farmers are contributing but they are not the underline reason.

Mega troll.

FARMERS OF PUNJAB ARE THE UNDERLYING REASON FOR POLLUTION IN NCR.

FARMERS OF PUNJAB ARE THE UNDERLYING REASON FOR POLLUTION IN NCR.

Get your cap locks off.

Fields are burning right outside Amritsar, why is their AQI  178 and Delhi is almost 400?

Edited by Khota

You hit the nail on its head. 

SC itself has said, even-odd is just optics, stubble burning is the root cause.

https://www.wionews.com/india-news/delhi-govt-to-consider-scs-remarks-over-odd-even-rule-after-latter-calls-it-mere-optics-656170

Can you show me where does the article says stubble burning is the root cause?

30 minutes ago, Khota said:

Can you show me where does the article says stubble burning is the root cause?

In the above article:

"

SC slams neighbouring states, including Punjab, over Delhi pollution crisis

The Supreme Court said that Delhi’s air pollution cannot be turned into a political battle, as it held the choking air quality responsible for the "murder of people's health". 

The burning of crop residue in neighbouring states like Uttar Pradesh, Haryana and Punjab was held as a key factor behind the deteriorating air pollution in the national capital every winter by the court. "

Also here:

https://energy.economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/oil-and-gas/stop-stubble-burning-forthwith-supreme-court-to-states/105060646#:~:text=Expressing grave concern over the,major contributors to air pollution.

"

"Expressing grave concern over the hazardous air quality in the national capital, the Supreme Court on Tuesday directed that farmers should stop the stubble burning forthwith in northern States of Punjab, Haryana and Western Uttar Pradesh saying it was one of the major contributors to air pollution.""

Everyone, I am sure, agrees that alternative methods must be used to get rid of the rice stubble. There are numerous technologies (mechanical, chemical) and burn-timing strategies that, when used judiciously together, can stop this practice of stubble burning.

Everyone, I am sure, agrees that these technologies/strategies must be implemented.

(There was even a thread here where these ideas were discussed ... I think during the farmer protests some time ago.)

The crux of the matter then is simply this - should the switch to alternative methods

(a) be enforced by punitive measures? 

Or

(b) be incentivized by government investment?

I lean (b).

Edited by BacktoCricaddict

3 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Everyone, I am sure, agrees that alternative methods must be used to get rid of the rice stubble. There are numerous technologies (mechanical, chemical) and burn-timing strategies that, when used judiciously together, can stop this practice of stubble burning.

Everyone, I am sure, agrees that these technologies/strategies must be implemented.

(There was even a thread here where these ideas were discussed ... I think during the farmer protests some time ago.)

The crux of the matter then is simply this - should the switch to alternative methods

(a) be enforced by punitive measures? 

Or

(b) be incentivized by government investment?

I lean (b).

Apparently it seems the real reason for this year’s pollution is that Punjab Government and USAID (MNCs) pushed for Monsanto maize! This article should interest you more. 

https://sundayguardianlive.com/news/12191-law-aiding-monsanto-reason-delhi-s-annual-smoke-season

The shift to maize was a drive to save the water table. The farmers are burning paddy in late October because of the crop season of paddy is shifted to June as maize is grown earlier. From late Oct the winds bring the smog to Delhi . Monsanto maize is unfit for human consumption and is only used as chicken feed. What a mess, if true!

This video explains more

Edited by coffee_rules

5 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

In the above article:

"

SC slams neighbouring states, including Punjab, over Delhi pollution crisis

The Supreme Court said that Delhi’s air pollution cannot be turned into a political battle, as it held the choking air quality responsible for the "murder of people's health". 

The burning of crop residue in neighbouring states like Uttar Pradesh, Haryana and Punjab was held as a key factor behind the deteriorating air pollution in the national capital every winter by the court. "

Also here:

https://energy.economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/oil-and-gas/stop-stubble-burning-forthwith-supreme-court-to-states/105060646#:~:text=Expressing grave concern over the,major contributors to air pollution.

"

"Expressing grave concern over the hazardous air quality in the national capital, the Supreme Court on Tuesday directed that farmers should stop the stubble burning forthwith in northern States of Punjab, Haryana and Western Uttar Pradesh saying it was one of the major contributors to air pollution.""

Since I am dyslexic by your diagnosis all this is saying is that it is a contributor, not the root cause.

When they used plural like contributors the court is acknowledging that there are more than one or multiple.

The issue is Amritsar is 1 mile from burn fields but AQI is 200 less.

Once again stubble burning is wrong but let us find the solutions. Don't marginalize the farmers all the time.