Delhi choking again - Thank the Anndata

ravishingravi

5 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Everyone, I am sure, agrees that alternative methods must be used to get rid of the rice stubble. There are numerous technologies (mechanical, chemical) and burn-timing strategies that, when used judiciously together, can stop this practice of stubble burning.

Everyone, I am sure, agrees that these technologies/strategies must be implemented.

(There was even a thread here where these ideas were discussed ... I think during the farmer protests some time ago.)

The crux of the matter then is simply this - should the switch to alternative methods

(a) be enforced by punitive measures? 

Or

(b) be incentivized by government investment?

I lean (b).

I am going with option "a".

I think they should be punished as an average farmer already makes too much money so he should pay for cleaning the fields. 

All the bots can now upvote this.

9 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Apparently it seems the real reason for this year’s pollution is that Punjab Government and USAID (MNCs) pushed for Monsanto maize! This article should interest you more. 

https://sundayguardianlive.com/news/12191-law-aiding-monsanto-reason-delhi-s-annual-smoke-season

The shift to maize was a drive to save the water table. The farmers are burning paddy in late October because of the crop season of paddy is shifted to June as maize is grown earlier. From late Oct the winds bring the smog to Delhi . Monsanto maize is unfit for human consumption and is only used as chicken feed. What a mess, if true!

This video explains more

This woman is pushing another stupid agenda in pretext of Diwali. Groundwater level is real problem. At my village home, We had mango orchard. Its all gone or going. 

2 hours ago, mishra said:

This woman is pushing another stupid agenda in pretext of Diwali. Groundwater level is real problem. At my village home, We had mango orchard. Its all gone or going. 

Forget about Diwali, I quoted the Fuardian article about Monsanto, which seems to have irked them as well. The last few years the pollution levels have reached very high, it can’t be because of diesel or manufacturing. The seasonal increasing points to parali more than ever. 

8 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Forget about Diwali, I quoted the Fuardian article about Monsanto, which seems to have irked them as well. The last few years the pollution levels have reached very high, it can’t be because of diesel or manufacturing. The seasonal increasing points to parali more than ever. 

Its combination of everything. However, more and more land is being used for agriculture at village level. We need GM crop which produces less Parali, uses less water and more production

3 hours ago, mishra said:

Its combination of everything. However, more and more land is being used for agriculture at village level. We need GM crop which produces less Parali, uses less water and more production

That will take decades. Drought-tolerance and less-stubble are multi-gene traits not easily achievable by genetic engineering. Which is why 30 yrs after GE tech entered ag research, these traits are still in development.

In the short-term, we mechanized stubble-removal and turnover into soil, mechanized wheat seeding, and if at all necessary, properly timed burning that has been shown to minimize smoke moving towards populated areas. Farmers must be incentivized to adopt these technologies. But we are all too busy slinging mud at one another - "he started it! It's his fault. He is oppressing me! Don't vote for them! Vote for me!"

Edited by BacktoCricaddict

3 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Monsanto and genetically engineered crops are an easy villain, no?  E-NGOs conveniently conflate every possible disaster with Monsanto, with no understanding of the real issue here.

First of all, I am not even sure their claims of increased Monsanto maize are true. But, let's give them the BOTD and say they are correct.

Thing is, even if they are correct, they are too stubborn and invested in their ideology to understand that farmers grow GE crops because "more food, less land." It is not greed. It is good sense.  Farmers will plant whatever crop will grow well and yield well and pay well in a given year/season.

E-NGO (and Guardian) logic is warped.

Consider this: 53 million hectares of agricultural land in the world grows genetically engineered maize developed by multinational seed companies. How come there is no burning elsewhere?  23 million acres of Monsanto GM cotton is grown in India alone. How come there is no stubble-burning on those fields? And then, on the flipside, how come there was burning even before Monsanto maize cultivation in this area?  

PS: Monsanto is not even in the seed business anymore. Bayer bought them out a couple of years ago. But, I can't expect E-NGOs to bother with little details like that.

Edited by BacktoCricaddict

7 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Monsanto and genetically engineered crops are an easy villain, no?  E-NGOs conveniently conflate every possible disaster with Monsanto, with no understanding of the real issue here.

First of all, I am not even sure their claims of increased Monsanto maize are true. But, let's give them the BOTD and say they are correct.

Thing is, even if they are correct, they are too stubborn and invested in their ideology to understand that farmers grow GE crops because "more food, less land." It is not greed. It is good sense.  Farmers will plant whatever crop will grow well and yield well and pay well in a given year/season.

E-NGO (and Guardian) logic is warped.

Consider this: 53 million hectares of agricultural land in the world grows genetically engineered maize developed by multinational seed companies. How come there is no burning elsewhere?  23 million acres of Monsanto GM cotton is grown in India alone. How come there is no stubble-burning on those fields? And then, on the flipside, how come there was burning even before Monsanto maize cultivation in this area?  

They are not claiming Monsate maize burning is causing the issue. They are claiming that the maize variety is delaying the yield of rice crops and thatpushes the stubble burning to late Oct and that's when the weather (winds etc) helps the smog to stay in Delhi at the wrong time when there is less wind, no rain, etc and hence increased AQI

Anyhow, seems very farfetched and that hatchet job on Monsanto is of Vandana Shiva proportions.

Edited by coffee_rules

6 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

They are not claiming Monsate maize burning is the issue. They are claiming the maize variety is delaying the yield of rice crops and pushes the burning to late Oct and that's when weather (winds etc) helps the smog to reach Delhi in the wrong time when there is less wind, no rain, etc and increased AQI. 
Anyhow, seems very fargetched and the hatchet job on Mondanto is of Vandana Shiva proportions.

So, they are saying it is ok to burn stubble as long as it is not in October?  Ridiculous stance to take.

1 hour ago, gattaca said:

Why are the farmers lazy lol ? Why can’t they till ? I am sure they have equipment to till the land ? The farmers have been doing this in south and it gives land necessary nutrients after composting. Is it more of education to farmers or them being lazy ? 

No, they are not. They are surviving.

21 minutes ago, Khota said:

No, they are not. They are surviving.

What surviving ? Punjab farmers are well off compared to farmers in south. We struggle for water. We don’t have enough ground water but we still till. Just need to run tiller few times. It even helps them to sow seeds later. It is a net benefit for them with nitrogen from compost of tilling. If they don’t till it is infact opposite of surviving.

Edited by gattaca

6 hours ago, gattaca said:

What surviving ? Punjab farmers are well off compared to farmers in south. We struggle for water. We don’t have enough ground water but we still till. Just need to run tiller few times. It even helps them to sow seeds later. It is a net benefit for them with nitrogen from compost of tilling. If they don’t till it is infact opposite of surviving.

Punjab farmers are not well-off compared to others. Only thing different is that they have one family member abroad who send money for survival. 

6 hours ago, gattaca said:

Stubble will not compost overnight. It will take months.