Kapil's 175 Reboot/ver.2/sequel ?

zubinpepsi

2 hours ago, BlueBlood said:

Everyone knew Dhoni was past his prime at this point and it would be his last WC. He was punching way above his weight even in terms of skill. But Jaddu was in his prime at the time and was #1 all-rounder in the world if I recall.

Jaddu had to finish the game - but he didn't. If it was prime Yuvraj instead of Jaddu, he would have been blamed for not finishing the game.

Such are Indian fans. With selective memory. Dhoni only accelerated once Jaddu got out as the plan was to hold wickets from one end as the tail was absolute garbage at the time.

This is the same thing Jaddu did again with Pandya against Pak.

Again, not hating on Jadeja as he is a better bowler than batsman. But he caused a lot of collapses like this which made it impossible for Kapil type of innings to happen again.

The historical revisionism you resort to make your point would make Stalin proud.

1. The opinion in ICF about Dhoni wasn't the opinion of the Indian team or on the street. Dhoni was still believed to be the best we have for the position & hence he played above others in a team loaded with keepers.

2. Are you really comparing Jaddu to Yuvi stature in the team? Jaddu played a grand total of 2 games in the WC, this was in fact his second game & he hadn't pbatted in his previous game. Controversy had broken out with Manju calling him "bits & pieces" player & coming out against his inclusion. Who in the right mind would have called Yuvi a bits & pieces players? Who in the right mind would play Yuvi only for 2 games in the WC in his prime? Jaddu was playing a great innings despite his limited ability with the bat, he got out as the RRR was creeping up & it was left to him to accelerate & Dhoni wasn't even rotating the strike sufficiently. You want to blame him for accelerating? Anyone can misque a shot, it isn't for the lack of effort. A run out because you wouldn't dive is due to lack of effort, see GG in 2011 WC look at Labbu in today's game even if he didn't make it.

3. I already mentioned the flaw in holding one end up approach, if Dhoni had decided to do that he should have batted up the order when there was something to hold, as in batters who can bat around him. Sending inexperienced Pant, DK & HP to the slaughter & then to hold one end up once you have Jaddu & bowlers at the end is a recipe for disaster. 

Jaddu might have messed up many innings but on that day, it wasn't him who messed it up. It was our top order & so called finisher who messed it up.

7 hours ago, putrevus said:

Kapil dev scored 100s in test cricket before that and after also so he had experience  of scoring 100s in some format.

Don't compare him with Maxwell. Maxwell has ability which Pandya can not even dream.

There is a reason why he has never even came close to 100 again in any format after his test 100. Maxwell has 3 t20 100 and has scored 100s in all formats.

SKY is legitmate batsman, Pandya is nothing but bits and piece player.

If Pandya was allowed to bat 5 times also he was not scoring 200 on that day.

Since you are the one who brings up stats, why is it that mad max and pandu have nearly same avg before this knock? and pandu's SR is only about 10 pts less than mad max prior to this knock.

I am not a fan of pandu's attitude, but making it seem as though Maxi is far ahead of Pandu is disingenuous. the best MO batters are klaasen and buttler, because both marry consistency with high SR. Max is too hit-or-miss; an upgraded version of Shahid "ball biter" afridi

P.S. Maxi's innings was greater than that of kapil and viv. credit where credit is due

Edited by Vijy
8 hours ago, Vijy said:

Since you are the one who brings up stats, why is it that mad max and pandu have nearly same avg before this knock? and pandu's SR is only about 10 pts less than mad max prior to this knock.

I am not a fan of pandu's attitude, but making it seem as though Maxi is far ahead of Pandu is disingenuous. the best MO batters are klaasen and buttler, because both marry consistency with high SR. Max is too hit-or-miss; an upgraded version of Shahid "ball biter" afridi

P.S. Maxi's innings was greater than that of kapil and viv. credit where credit is due

This is best world cup innings.People are trying to this discredit innings with drop catches.To me that is just not able to accept the greatness of this innings.I am Kapil's biggest fan but his innings was close but this was better given the situation of the match and bowling attack.

Now regarding Pandya

Yes Maxi is ahead of Pandya in all aspects of batting except Pandu has become more reliable with bat.

Maxwell on his day can win match with his bat alone like his two 100s in this world cup. Pandya even in his dream does not have that ability. I am not trying to make Pandya look bad but not many batsman have Maxwell's ability.No one in Australian line up has that ability.

17 hours ago, putrevus said:

It was 60 over game. Glenn turner scored 173 in 1975.

They  had one bowler Kevin Curran. Zimbabwe we’re completely novice team. Afghanistan are test playing team. 
There is no World Cup knock which is better than this in Odis.

It was painful to watch but this is  better.

Turner batted all 60 overs and it was a poorer attack.

Kapil came in 10th over IIRC and still scored 175. Zim had decent pacers for those conditions.

And there were no lives IIRC via drop catches.

9 minutes ago, Lord said:

Turner batted all 60 overs and it was a poorer attack.

Kapil came in 10th over IIRC and still scored 175. Zim had decent pacers for those conditions.

And there were no lives IIRC via drop catches.

Zimbabwe were playing their 3 or 4th match.Kapil was batting first. Chasing always adds more pressure.I don't want this discussion to turn into making Kapil's innings look bad.

If you feel Kapil's innings was better that is fine with me.

Edited by putrevus
1 minute ago, MediumPacer said:

if it was such an easy run he would have got back.

risky runs have small margins for error and fault lies with the one making such calls

No he couldn't because he was too far down.

It wasn't a risky single.Kohli had no business watching the ball and ignoring the call.

No i rate kapils wayyy above in any context. That was in 1983… only viv had guts to do that then, it fueled indians ro be a threat in world cup and gave up as a nation big self belief we have a good fortune in coming years. Without that man, who knows how our team would be like now. And he is soo down to earth and barely hear him talk. 

also his primary role was bowling… so in that itself it was a greatest odi innings

Edited by Chaos

I think the best answer is to ask neutral fans and you will get the answer.

Zimbabwe team of the past was on par with SA team of today. Not some minnow team either.

So Kapil's innings definitely had its aura.

I think Maxwell is a different beast. You expect such an innings from him, AbDV and similar players

10 minutes ago, BlueBlood said:

I think the best answer is to ask neutral fans and you will get the answer.

Zimbabwe team of the past was on par with SA team of today. Not some minnow team either.

So Kapil's innings definitely had its aura.

I think Maxwell is a different beast. You expect such an innings from him, AbDV and similar players

he is not like abd ,more like Livingston or fakhar

Leave alone the best ever, this is not even the best century of the tournament so far. To me Daryll Mitchell's century against us is the best century till now. It came against our full strength attack on a fairly decent pitch for the Pacers before we started bowling out teams for sub 100 scores.